Stickan´s NEW training log

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Stickan´s NEW training log
Next Page »
Stickan
1/9/08 7:54:05AM
Since it's a new year and all and I feel really healthy for once I figured I should put together some goals for myself and hopefully achive something this year.

Feel free to chime in and give advice or critique if you like to.
For those of you that don't know, I train MMA at Stockholm Shoot Academy in Stockholm, Sweden and have done so for the past 2½ years or so. My career so far has been pretty full of injuries and other health issues and I've only done some SW events this far but hopefully I'll make my MMA debut this year.

Goals:
1: Debut in Shootfighting/MMA.

2. Come closer to the Swedish olympic wrestling minimum standards for strength which is:
Squats: 1 rep 2x body weight / 370lbs Current MAX: 226lbs
Cleans: 1 rep 1½x body weight / 278lbs
Deadlifts: 1 rep 2½x body weight / 463lbs Current MAX: 331lbs
Chins: +35 reps Current MAX: 16 reps
Dips: +50 reps Current MAX: 37 reps

So good luck to me and I'm looking forward to you guys input.
Stickan
1/9/08 8:05:59AM
Wednesday 9/1-08

Today I'll attend a 4hour Per Eklund seminar. I'm really excited to see what kind of shape he's in and what kind of skills he has and what I can learn from him. It's kind of surprising that he decided to hold a seminar 10 days from the biggest fight of his life but I won't complain.
I heard that he's worked out a lot in TQ Temecula for this fight so hopefully Hendo has taught him a few wrestling tricks to use against Stout.

Anyway, I'll update this as soon as I get home.
fullerene
1/9/08 8:48:32AM
Good luck. This will be interesting to see.

I'm not going to ask you to post anything you don't want to reveal, but how close are you to those strength goals currently?
Stickan
1/9/08 9:22:15AM
Thanks. I'll post all my lifting results as soon as I hit the gym. I plan on weight lifting every day I don't train MMA. So tomorrow and sunday I'll hit the weights and friday, saturday I'll train MMA.

I have no idea how close I am to those goals but I'll try to max everything tomorrow.
I'm currently 6 ft tall and weigh about 185.
Stickan
1/9/08 4:54:14PM
So I just got home from the seminar. I'm pretty worn out and beaten but most of all I feel even hungrier to get back on the mats again.
Per was a great guy and a great technical trainer and I felt I gained a lot from attending this seminar. First we did drills for the first half of the seminar but it was the last period that was interesting.
After some regular sparring with takedowns we did King of the hill for the last 30 minutes and it was gruesome.
For those of you that havn't done King of the hill it's one guy taking on another guy while the others wait on a line and when someone has tapped or is pinned to the mat for too long the guy next in line jumps on the winner and so it continues. We were hitting each other pretty damn hard and it was a great experience.
I'm very disappointed in myself though because of two things. I felt I had a mental block the entire time. I forgot techniques and I faught just not to lose terribly even though I won the majority of the fights and I was in the elite group. The second thing is that a guy accidently head butted me pretty hard on my nose. I got stunned and just stood there when he proceeded to take me down.
Physically I felt like I was in great shape though. I tossed around guys my size when I focused and I felt like I had gas left when it was all over.

The mental part is something I need to work on. I need to get used to get pressured for long amounts of time and take full blows to the head.
I talked to Per about his upcoming fight with Stout and he seems confident.

I'll be rooting like crazy next Saturday that's for sure.
Stickan
1/10/08 5:22:26PM
Thursday 10/1-08

Did some weight lifting today and thought I'd try out my max in deadlifts to see how close I am to my goal of 2½ times my weight. I felt really worn out from yesterdays seminar and didn't feel like I had any energy training.

Deadlifts: 1x1 on 198lbs, 1x1 on 243lbs, 1x1 on 287lbs, 1x1 on 309lbs, 1x1 on 331lbs, 6x1 on 287lbs

Weighing 185 lbs means that 463lbs is my goal so I have about 130lbs to go by the end of the year.

Everything else felt terribly heavy as well.
Chins: 14x1, 10x2.
..and that was me trying to rep as high as I could. So at least 21 more reps there by the end of the year.

Standing row with barbell: 8x3 on 138lbs
Seated reverse fly with dumbells: 8x3 with 39lbs dumbells

On Sunday, leg day I'll give front squats a try to prepare myself for cleans because right now it feels really awkward bending my wrists into that position and I'm really a newb when it comes to olympic lifts.
jiujitsufreak74
1/10/08 9:35:45PM
sorry to interrupt the log...btw good luck on getting close to the wrestling requirements because those are brutal, but i am right there with you on voting for eklund. i am glad he is looking good and confident. the fact that he was working with henderson makes me feel a lot better for picking him. i wish you luck with your training and btw king of the hill is rough, especially if you last 3 or 4 guys because then your just dead. hope to see your name in an MMA card
Stickan
1/12/08 4:54:30PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

sorry to interrupt the log...btw good luck on getting close to the wrestling requirements because those are brutal, but i am right there with you on voting for eklund. i am glad he is looking good and confident. the fact that he was working with henderson makes me feel a lot better for picking him. i wish you luck with your training and btw king of the hill is rough, especially if you last 3 or 4 guys because then your just dead. hope to see your name in an MMA card

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah the requirements are brutal and that's why I wrote "come closer to.." as my goal. My aim of course is to complete them all but I have to be realistic too.

I've taken a 2-day break now because of exhaustion. I can't remember the last day I didn't train so I figured I might need some rest. Tomorrow I'm back to normal though and I plan on checking out my squat status and practice some front squats for cleans.
Stickan
1/13/08 4:15:04PM
Sunday 13/1-08

I did some light maxing today. I was alone so I didn't want to go balls out but 226 is pretty much what I can squat right now. That leaves a lot left to desire but hopefully that'll change pretty soon as I plan on focusing more on squats from now on. I also tried out front squats for the first time and my wrists could barely handle 132lbs. Hopefully that gets better as I get more used to the exercise.
I did some chins while resting between sets to get past 14 and I got 15 .

Legs
Squats: 1x1 on 176lbs, 1x1 on 198lbs, 1x1 on 226lbs
Front squats: 6x3 on 132lbs
Lunges: 12x2 with 50lbs dumbells, 12x1 with 55lbs dumbell
Calf in machine: 20x3 on 221lbs

Eating: Good

Sleep: 9h

Stretching: 15 min
StevenSeagal
1/14/08 9:56:38AM
lookin good man keep up the good work
Stickan
1/14/08 4:19:07PM
Monday 14/1-07

I've got a new job with horrible working hours that interfere with my training. I work from 10am to 7pm and it's about half an hour from the gym so I miss my MMA training. I've thought about it and I'll probably start training pure BJJ since their training sessions are later in the evenings. I need to train something MMA-related....at least until I can negotiate new hours at work and return to my earlier schedule.

Anyway I wasn't able to sleep more than 45 mins tonight for some reason. It ruined my whole day and going to the gym after work sucked. I did 37 dips and did a few bench press reps on 243 before I just felt my body giving up on me.

For me it's a pretty devastating feeling when everything isn't as it should be in training because I litterally eat, breathe and sleep training. When I eat, I eat to have energy to train and when I sleep, I sleep to recover and get stronger after training. Set-backs in training (even small) are horrible to me because I put so much focus, passion and effort into my training that when training fails, so does my entire day/week.

Time to hit the sack now and hopefully come back stronger and in a better mood tomorrow. I'll do the chest, shoulders work-out that I was supposed to do today, tomorrow.
Stickan
1/17/08 4:25:59PM
Tuesday 15/1-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Bench press: 6x3 on 232lbs
Dumbell bench press: 8x1 with 66lbs dumbells, 8x1 with 72lbs and 6x1 with 77
Dips: 25x1 and 20x2
Military Press: 6x3 on 121lbs
Cable Flies: 8x3 with 99lbs on each side.

Sleep: Great 8h.

Stretching: None

Sleep obviously makes a world of difference when it comes to training.

Stickan
1/17/08 4:35:16PM
Wednesday 16/1-08

Back, Trapz:
Deadlifts: 6x2 on 286lbs and 6x1 on 292lbs
Chins: 16x1, 10x2
One arm dumbell row: 8x1 with 72lbs dumbells, 8x1 with 77 and 8x1 with 83
Trapz with dumbells: 16x3 with 88lbs dumbells
Dumbell curls: 12x2 with 50lbs dumbells and 12x1 with 44lbs

Sleep: Great. As usual nowadays. 8h.

Stretching: 20 mins
Stickan
1/17/08 4:44:13PM
Thursday 17/1-08

Squats, Triceps:
Front Squats: 6x1 on 132lbs, 6x1 on 138 and 6x1 on 143lbs (+11lbs)
French curls lying down: 6x3 on 104lbs
Cable push-down in machine: 8x3 on 176lbs
One arm pushdown in machine: 8x3 on 66lbs

Eating: Too little

Sleep: Great. 9h.

Stretching: 10 mins.
Stickan
1/21/08 1:42:38AM
Sunday 20/1-07

Legs:
Squats: 6x3 on 187lbs
Front squats: 6x3 on 143 (+2 sets]
Lunges: 12x3 with 55lbs dumbells (+2 sets)
Calf in machine: 20x3

Sleep: 5h. Too little.

Stretching: Great. 20 minutes.
Stickan
1/22/08 1:28:40AM
Monday 21/1-08

First BJJ practice today. I enjoyed it a lot and it went fine despite having a gi for the first time.
Stickan
1/25/08 3:50:09PM
Wednesday 23/1-07

Today a brazilian BJJ brown belt under Shaolin´s trainer named Gustavo was in the gym to check out the facility and work on his cardio in preparation for the european championships in BJJ coming up this Saturday.
Since I'm the one with the most grappling experience aside from my trainer in BJJ beginners class and I'm probably in better shape then most of the other guys in my class, me and another guy got to take turns rolling with Gustavo for the entire 2 hours to push his cardio as hard as possible. My trainer had a flu so he couldn't participate himself, so he just focused on the other beginners.

So... needless to say...since it was my second session in gi I got my ass handed to me the first few minutes, as did my friend. After a few minutes when I figured out the gi a little bit more and was able to use my strength advantage I was able to be more competitive. We did 10 minute intense rounds on him with 3 5-minute water breaks during those 2 hours.
I doubt he learned anything but he looked like he got a great work-out at least and I learned a lot. After the sparring we talked a little and he showed me a few key techniques that he used in his game. It was obviously a great experience for me and on Saturday I'll whoop some ass.

I've finally figured out a training schedule for me with my new job.

Mon - BJJ
Tues - Chest, Shoulders
Wed - BJJ
Thurs - Back, Biceps
Fri - Rest... my gym closes early so I won't be able to make it after work.
Sat - BJJ, Crossfit
Sun - Legs, Abs
Stickan
1/25/08 4:05:03PM
Thursday 24/1-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Dumbell bench press: 8x2 with 77lbs dumbells, 6x1 with 83lbs (+6lbs)
Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 8x3 with 72lbs dumbells
Dips: 25x1, 20x2
Military Press: 6x1 on 121lbs, 8x1 on 110lbs, 6x1 on 110lbs

Felt tired. I used to rep on 138lbs in military press but the dips are killing me and I can't do anything involving my shoulders or chest after that.
bayonetxwork
1/25/08 5:24:15PM

Posted by Stickan

Thursday 24/1-07

Chest, Shoulders:

Felt tired. I used to rep on 138lbs in military press but the dips are killing me and I can't do anything involving my shoulders or chest after that.

you gotta put the dips at the end of your work out. its good to start with compound exercises like the benches, and move to the military before you get isolated on you're triceps. if you kill you're triceps you're military will go down a lot because they're part of the kinetic chain.
Stickan
1/25/08 6:44:46PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Stickan

Thursday 24/1-07

Chest, Shoulders:

you gotta put the dips at the end of your work out. its good to start with compound exercises like the benches, and move to the military before you get isolated on you're triceps. if you kill you're triceps you're military will go down a lot because they're part of the kinetic chain.

I'll try that next time. Thanks!.
Stickan
1/26/08 12:20:06PM
Saturday 26/1-07

No-gi rolling today for about 1½ hours. I went up against big guys and it felt like it went better than usual. I don't know why but my top control, my set-ups and my turtle was better than ever. I didn't get subbed and got off a few subs of my own during the rolling.
Something I need to work on is my open guard. I'm good at retaining guard but horrible at protecting it. Something to think about for monday.

After the session we had a 5 min break then it was time for CrossFit. I had never tried crossfit and had just heard from friends that it was a really nasty workout. It was. The idea I think is that you do a certain amount of reps on one station before moving on to the next without any rest at all and todays schedule was something called 21-15-9 I believe.
First we did an exercise where you did an aero squat and went directly down to a lunge and after switching legs forward you went down and did a push-up. Next station was simply push-ups and the last one was simply aero squats.
21 reps of each first then 15 then 9. It was horrible. If you think you're in shape and havn't tried crossfit I strongly urge you to try it cuz it was brutal.
After that we got to rest for about 2 mins before it was time for some brutal sit-ups and later on some more squats with weight this time. We finished the hour by doing situps for 30 secs, resting 10, squats 30, resting 10 and so on and so on...8 TIMES!. It nearly killed me.
Anyway I sweat out 3,5 kilos of water weight (about 8 lbs) and felt like puking afterwards. A good way to get in shape.
Stickan
2/1/08 6:58:15PM
Monday 28/1-08

BJJ practice today. A lot of armlocks today and a few sweeps. Went well but I'm having problems getting sweeps on guys with good bases.
Stickan
2/2/08 1:33:56PM
Tuesday 29/1-08

Chest, Shoulders:
Bench press: 6x3 on 226lbs (-6 lbs)
Dumbell bench press: 6x3 with 77lbs dumbells (-6 lbs)
Dips: 30x1, 25x1, 20x1 (+10 reps)
Military Press: 6x3 on 127lbs (+6 lbs)

Eating: Great. Huge lunch.

Sleep: 7h

Stretching: 20 mins.
Stickan
2/2/08 1:43:15PM
Wednesday 30/1-08

BJJ practice. Did pass my guard bitch without the guy on the back using his hands. Very usefull for me since I'm better at retaining guard than defending it. I need to shift my hips more. We also did a lot of rolling whcih went well.

Weight: 181 lbs.
Stickan
2/2/08 1:44:57PM
Thursday 31/1-08

Worked over today so didn't have time to train today . Did some hardcore stretching when I got home though.
Stickan
2/2/08 1:54:41PM
Saturday 2/2-08

Almost all guys on this rolling session were MMAers so I was the only one wearing a gi. As you can imagine they had a pretty distinct advantage being able to grab my gi but I got some gi chokes in and all in all did pretty well.
Got 11 subs during the sparring and got subbed once with an americana from underneith in side. The guy who subbed me outweighs me by 20 lbs and is a bit stronger than me. It's those guys I'm having the most trouble with. Especially when they're able to pass my guard.

On the other hand only one guy I rolled with today weighed less than me. Most of the subs I pulled off were triangles which is almost a shame since it's always been something I've been good at and I don't feel I develop enough in other subs. I wanna get better at taking peoples backs. I guess I have to work on my armdrags.

Also did CrossFit today. 3 guys puked and I was exhausted at the end of it.
The session consisted of 10 stations and a total of 300 repetitions. The stations varied from Chins to Burpees and hand stance push-ups. I mowed through the first five stations like it was nothing and the guy I was competing against had already quit by then but then I got tired quickly. Some kettle bell exercise almost made me puke and I was soooo happy when I finally made it through.
Looking forward to the next session!

Tonight is UFC 81 LIVE!. I can't believe we swedes get it on free TV and you americans don't.
Stickan
2/3/08 4:49:57PM
Sunday 3/1-08

Legs:
Squats: 6x3 on 187lbs
Front squats: 6x3 on 143lbs
Lunges: 12x3 with 50lbs dumbells (-5 lbs)

Eating: Awful. Way too little. Only 4 meals today.

Sleep: A bit too long. 10h.

Stretching: Good 15 mins.

I need to train my legs and my back a lot more so I'm going to put in short but heavy leg/back sessions before my BJJ practice. That'll probably make me use my technique more than my strength in BJJ.
Stickan
2/5/08 4:09:11PM
Monday 4/2-08
BJJ practice. Did a few deadlifts at 287lbs before todays practice. The session itself went fine and even though I feel better than ever, there's still some major issues I need to work on. Like being underneith in side on guys that are stronger than me.
Stickan
2/5/08 4:20:48PM
Tuesday 5/2-08

Chest, Shoulders:
Bench press: 6x3 on 232lbs (+6lbs)
Dumbell bench press: 6x2 with 77lbs dumbells
Incline dumbell bench press: 6x1 on 66lbs, 6x1 on 72lbs
Dips: 30x1, 20x2 (-5 reps)
Military Press: 6x1 on 127lbs, 6x1 on 132lbs, 6x1 on 138lbs (+11lbs)

Sleep: Horrible. Stayed up all night fighting with my gf. That stuff really drains your energy. She should pick better hours to nag on.

Stretching: 20 mins.
Stickan
2/7/08 3:56:13PM
Wednesday 6/2-08

Squats: 6x2 on 187lbs, 6x1 on 193lbs (+6lbs)

Felt really good.

BJJ practice. A lot of positional drills and a few gi chokes. Something I noticed is that I have to mentally start from scratch and forget that I've done grappling before to really take in the fundamentals in BJJ. Other than me being a whiner and doing things the no-gi way because it felt better, the session went fine. As soon as I started utilizing the gi more I got more success and submitted people left and right. "The flow" in BJJ is slowly coming to me.
In the end I picked out the guy who seems the toughest in the group and rolled a bit. I owned him pretty badly but I tried to put myself in my worst positions to practice getting out of them, like underneath in side and with him on my back. Had a great time overall.
Pages: [1] 2