stevenson broke his jaw in round 1 against pelligrino

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » stevenson broke his jaw in round 1 against pelligrino
nickcuc547
8/26/07 2:43:42PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7155740

scroll down to where they talk about the stevenson fight. i think it was on the punch where pellegrino went down to his knees and landed a vicious right while stevenson was on his back. if that turns out to be true that is an amazing performance by stevenson, one of the grittiest i have ever seen because he took plenty of hits after the first round.
Jackelope
8/26/07 3:51:50PM
He did look tentative on his feet in the 2nd and 3rd. I'd believe it
Ydoc
8/26/07 3:52:23PM
That's amazing. Joe must have really wanted that win. He had to really hide the pain because he knew if a doctor saw it the fight would be stopped. Kudos to Big Daddy, he has the kind of internal fortitude that a lot of fighters lack.
Twenty20Dollars
8/26/07 3:59:48PM
Damn went 10 more minutes with a broken jaw. very impressive fight for both guys, pelligrino is a tough guy.
DJDark41
8/26/07 4:07:15PM
Much respect to Joe "Daddy" Stevenson on that one.
Lord_Lenny
8/26/07 4:25:32PM
that explains why he was so hard to understand after the fight and couldnt close his mouth
tommyprairie
8/26/07 4:42:27PM
That is one bad dude
AmericanFighterAce
8/26/07 4:44:06PM
That is pretty damn tough for a man to fight with a broken jaw.
That has to be right up there with Rich Franklin when he broke his hand against David Louiseau, and Rich still hit David with the left hand to not show weakness.
d_block07
8/26/07 7:06:21PM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

that explains why he was so hard to understand after the fight and couldnt close his mouth

yea i thought that was strange. he didnt sound like that in the prefigth but when he was talkin to joe rogan he sounded like he had down syndrome
puppettamer
8/26/07 7:09:19PM
yeah i noticed that in the post fight with rogen that guy has heart!
patdaddy
8/26/07 8:39:15PM
wow. dam. wow. dam. lol... thats impressive. that had to hurt sooo bad. he has mass heart and courage. i give him hella props if its true... but it didnt look broke to me in the post interview. he seemed to talk perfect... but either way it was a good fight and he is a beast..
DangerMouse666
8/26/07 9:24:52PM
shows what kinda fighter he is.
Svartorm
8/26/07 10:44:50PM
That was a hell of a fight, so neither guy has anything to be upset about. I was very impressed with Kurt too. He was 3:1 odds on that fight and definitely made it much closer than that.
AmericanFighterAce
8/26/07 11:22:33PM

Posted by Svartorm

That was a hell of a fight, so neither guy has anything to be upset about. I was very impressed with Kurt too. He was 3:1 odds on that fight and definitely made it much closer than that.

I think Kurt really gased in the third round and you could tell, if he had more cardio.. then man, that could of been some finish, but you just saw Joe kick into another gear and it was incredible.

Joe Daddy is a tough tough tough dude.
adamal
8/26/07 11:28:44PM
That's awesome!

I was really lovin that fight. I was impressed with both of them too but especially Daddy, and to think his jaw was broken, what a bad dude.
We_Todd_Did
8/27/07 12:06:17AM
I've been saying for a while now that Stevenson has a damn good shot at the belt (especially with Sherk possibly out of the picture for a while), but damn!
Good to see heart like that out of a young guy.But I really want to give it up for Pellegrino; I was predicting him to get steamrolled in the first round, but I definitely have a newfound respect for him and will be looking forward to all of his future fights.
Svartorm
8/27/07 12:11:47AM

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

Posted by Svartorm

I think Kurt really gased in the third round and you could tell, if he had more cardio.. then man, that could of been some finish, but you just saw Joe kick into another gear and it was incredible.

Joe Daddy is a tough tough tough dude.

Yeah, he did gas a bit, but that was a very high paced fight with a strong fighter, so I can't fault him that too much. It would be interesting to see Clay Guida and Joe Stevenson fight and see whos got the better cardio.
waylon_o
8/27/07 8:03:55AM
I like it when Joe Daddy gets up and runs to his corner between rounds. Haha What a guy.
DeepStrike
8/27/07 10:15:10AM
I was at UFC 74 and Joe Daddy's wife was sitting in front of us, Joe came up right after the fight hung out the entire time, drank some beer, took pics and talked to fans and friends.

I DO NOT THINK HE HAD A BROKEN JAW!
Bionik
8/28/07 12:03:42PM
He broke his nose not jaw.It was also the first time it had happened to him.Pretty impressive for a guy with so many fights.Bad news is he will be out for probably at least 4 months due to medical.