Stevenson Asks UFC For Fight With Aoki

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Stevenson Asks UFC For Fight With Aoki
MMAcca
7/1/08 3:34:47PM
Joe Stevenson has been involved in some big fights throughout his career. However, coming off a devastating loss to BJ Penn in which the UFC lightweight title was at stake, Saturday night’s UFC 86 battle against Gleison Tibau may be the biggest fight of his career. MMARated.com spoke with “Joe Daddy” about moving on from the Penn loss and getting ready for Tibau.

LINK
xposipx
7/1/08 3:47:52PM
Wow, that would be cool to see. Aoki recently considered coming and fighting in the US...we'll see. Doubt anything happens though.
tepid55
7/1/08 3:51:57PM
What's he thinking? Aoki's BJJ is better than BJ Penn.
gsquat
7/1/08 4:01:36PM

Posted by tepid55

Don't really know about that. We just haven't been seeing as much of BJ's jj because his striking is so good. Its too tough to definitively say that Aoki's jj is better than BJ's. Even if they fought, BJ would keep it standing the whole time. The only real way would be to see them in a grappling match.
xposipx
7/1/08 4:36:59PM
Hmm..without the bad cut Stevenson probably would have held his own with BJ for 3 rounds. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he could keep it standing with Aoki and beat him in a boxing match decision.
mikevolz
7/1/08 4:41:05PM

Posted by tepid55

id say his pure grappling technique is probably.

but his striking couldn't hold a flame to bj penns, and his strength isn't up there with bj's, and his wrestling lacks too.

bj penn's ju-jitsu won't win him abu-dhabi or anything, but his style is some of the most effective in mma, coupled with his ground strikes
babalu2720
7/1/08 4:41:06PM

Posted by xposipx

Hmm..without the bad cut Stevenson probably would have held his own with BJ for 3 rounds. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he could keep it standing with Aoki and beat him in a boxing match decision.

As soon as I saw this that's exactly what I thought. Joe's wrestling could control where the fight took place unless Aoki just kept pulling a jumping guard, but if they stood for 15 minutes I think Joe would win.
Pookie
7/1/08 4:47:18PM
yeah, I freaked out for a second and it was like, ‘dude!’ My father-in-law is Hawaiian and my wife is Hawaiian and he was like, ‘he's a savage,’ and I was like, ‘fair enough.’

lol
emfleek
7/1/08 4:50:44PM
It'd be a fun one to watch.
coldchillin
7/1/08 4:59:30PM
pssh.... Aoki would just jump guard and give him a lesson in grappling. Sorry, Big Daddy isn't in the same league as Aoki right now. If anything, Aoki would probably fight for EliteXC if he came to the US to fight. I would like to see Aoki fight Nick Diaz at a catchweight of 160... just amazing jiu-jitsu would be put on display.
gsquat
7/1/08 5:30:53PM

Posted by coldchillin

I would like to see Aoki fight Nick Diaz at a catchweight of 160... just amazing jiu-jitsu would be put on display.

That would be a tangled knot of human.
jiujitsufreak74
7/1/08 5:31:26PM
I am loving all of this buz about Aoki. i would personally feel better if he would win the GP first (which is not a given, the 3 other fighters are all top fighters) before the commotion about him began to erupt.

now let me give my thoughts on how he would do here in the US. i personally believe that he would defeat everyone at LW in the UFC besides BJ Penn. Aoki's ground game is phenomenal. i have never seen one like it and he is so dangerous anywhere the fight goes on the ground. he has amazing take down abilities with a wide array of judo throws, standing sweeps, the legendary jumping guard, flying rubber guard and many other wrestling shots. he was able to take Nagata, a silver medalist in Olympic wrestling, down to the mat with ease. Stevenson would not be able to keep this fight standing and ultimately i think he would lose either a decision or get caught late in the second.

however, Aoki faces a problem with American judging. in Japan, they judge fights based on who is the aggressor and who has done the most damage throughout the entire fight; LnP would not win in Japan because you have to be trying to finish the fight. in the US, the round system is not as beneficial to Aoki's style as Japan's judging system is and thus he may have some trouble on the score cards. but, i don't think it would inhibit him that much and i feel that he truly is the 2nd best LW in the world.

another thing is that i feel the competition at LW is better in Japan than it is here (that's a debate for another day). so i don't think the competition will be any greater in the UFC than it was in Dream, if anything it is less imo. only thing is BJ reigns supreme and i just don't think stylistically that Aoki matches up well with him and thus i don't think he would ever beat BJ. but i can guarantee that he would defeat all other LWs in the UFC.

oh, and why did the writer say that Stevenson's UFC 86 fight will be the biggest of his career when he had fought a legend of the sport for a title...just doesn't make sense.
Aether
7/1/08 5:53:23PM
aoki might not be able to pull a takedown on Joe, but he would just jump guard because he's so good from his back. I would love to see Aoki be the first to pull a gogo in PRIDE AND the UFC.
JimiMak
7/1/08 6:08:21PM

P

bj penn's ju-jitsu won't win him abu-dhabi or anything, but his style is some of the most effective in mma, coupled with his ground strikes

No just Grappler's Quest and Mundials
Porch28
7/1/08 6:21:12PM

Posted by tepid55

Doesn't matter it would be Aoki by destruction anyway and the only fight I would like to see him involved in would be against BJ Penn otherwise why bother.
Twenty20Dollars
7/1/08 9:22:47PM
dont get me wrong, i like joe butttttt i dont see him betting tibau unless its a lay and prey.

but gotta love joe's spirit for wanting to fight the best.
prozacnation1978
7/1/08 11:52:59PM
it would be cool if ufc gets aoki but if daddy can't get past penn he won't against aoki
quezocrema0032
7/2/08 12:42:34AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

it would be cool if ufc gets aoki but if daddy can't get past penn he won't against aoki

are u saying aoki is better then penn ? .... can we be realistic for abit ... please ?