Steven Seagal accepts no-rules fight against Randy Couture on stipulation that no witnesses are present

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Steven Seagal accepts no-rules fight against Randy Couture on stipulation that no witnesses are present
Next Page »
grappler0000
12/4/12 12:47:07PM
I'll preface this by saying that I've never been one to get into the whole weird, ongoing preoccupation with Steven Seagal that the sport of mixed martial arts seems to have going for it. But sometimes, in situations like this, it's hard to ignore.

Back in August, UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture made a half-joking comment about how the only person he would come out of retirement to fight would be Seagal. People chuckled and forgot about it, and a couple months passed until Seagal was able to offer a response, which he just so happened to do on yesterday's edition of The MMA Hour.

"First of all, I am a martial artist, and I have been a martial artist all my life," Seagal started. "I've been fighting all my life, and I believe that the essence of learning how to fight, and fighting, and being a warrior and martial artist is to try to overcome the negative qualities that we all inherent as people, and become a better person, and to help others and help the world be a better place."

Full Story
grappler0000
12/4/12 12:48:44PM
No witnesses...if only he had thought about that before the Gene LeBell incident, he wouldn't still be answering questions about crapping his pants.
frizzzlecake
12/4/12 12:57:33PM
This isn't Rocky Noob, stop ducking!
Bubbles
12/4/12 1:07:31PM
cowcatcher
12/4/12 1:20:07PM
My prediction should this happen:

cowcatcher
12/4/12 1:24:35PM

Posted by grappler0000

No witnesses...if only he had thought about that before the Gene LeBell incident, he wouldn't still be answering questions about crapping his pants.

grappler0000
12/4/12 1:40:23PM
I often wonder if Seagal is impersonating Will Sasso impersonating Seagal.
airkerma
12/4/12 2:02:40PM
It sounds like in Seagal's mind Randy Couture is Marked for Death. Randy seems to think he is Above the Law, but in reality he is standing On Deadly Ground and the time is Half Past Dead. Seagal has made the Executive Decision and is now Out for Justice. If Couture doesn't watch his step he may get Pistol Whipped Into the Sun and then he will just look like a washed up old Clementine
mrsmiley
12/4/12 2:26:58PM

Posted by airkerma

It sounds like in Seagal's mind Randy Couture is Marked for Death. Randy seems to think he is Above the Law, but in reality he is standing On Deadly Ground and the time is Half Past Dead. Seagal has made the Executive Decision and is now Out for Justice. If Couture doesn't watch his step he may get Pistol Whipped Into the Sun and then he will just look like a washed up old Clementine

Gotta spread the love, but trust me on one thing. When Randy gets the clinch and slams Seagal with a takedown, their will be a fire down below.
BillsNewAccount
12/4/12 3:10:38PM

Posted by airkerma

Ryan Couture better lookout or he will be Under Siege 2!!!
KungFuMaster
12/4/12 4:47:17PM
IMO, prime Seagal could take out prime Randy easily.

Put it this way - Randy's style of fighting will hardly ever end in a finish whereas Seagal's style is intended to pacify and render the opponent helpless. I would take Seagal any day over Randy if they were both in their prime.
jakewalters
12/4/12 5:01:57PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Put it this way - Randy's style of fighting will hardly ever end in a finish whereas Seagal's style is intended to pacify and render the opponent helpless. I would take Seagal any day over Randy if they were both in their prime.

BillsNewAccount
12/4/12 5:53:52PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Hahahahaha

You are totally right. IMO a good boxer like James Tony would destroy Couture.
kingsmasher
12/4/12 6:12:04PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by KungFuMaster

Hahahahaha

For arguments sake what about a prime James Toney? If a boxer could never beat a true grappler I wouldnt give a bucket of piss for Aldos future in the LW division against any of the top five wrestlers...
KungFuMaster
12/4/12 7:18:30PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Hahahahaha

LOL

I love Randy BTW but Seagal is no joke. Just because we have not seen him fight does not make him irrelevant. Seagal is very experienced in the art of joint manipulation and plus he has a very good front kick which I don't think Randy can defend. Furthermore, Seagal has long arms and legs and I am almost certain he has a strong understanding of BJJ.

Seagal studied the mma fight game and planted the seed which resulted in two fantastic knockouts which were carried out by his students, Silva and Machida.
Bubbles
12/4/12 7:27:48PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Hahahahaha

For arguments sake what about a prime James Toney? If a boxer could never beat a true grappler I wouldnt give a bucket of piss for Aldos future in the LW division against any of the top five wrestlers...

a prime James Toney still wouldn't be able to stop a single leg. Aldo has at least trained TDD and was able to stuff probably the best wrestler at FW. LWs are a little bigger but it won't be a cakewalk by any means.

oh and Jake, I 1000% agree with your post
KungFuMaster
12/4/12 7:32:18PM

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by KungFuMaster

No more props for you.
warglory
12/4/12 7:38:19PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Seagal's style of fighting is Aikido, which has been proven time and again to be next to useless in an actual fight, sport or real life. And Seagal's claim that he wouldn't fight fair goes both ways. Just about any "real" martial artist who claims that they would win against a sport fighter using techniques like throat jabs, and eye gouges amongst others fail to realize that anyone with half a brain can use this moves as well, it doesn't take years of training to poke someone in the eye.

Randy would easily nullify Seagal's actual skills with his wrestling base, because I am willing to bet that Seagal's take down defense is slim to none. And if we are talking about striking, I am pretty sure that Couture's vast experience in full contact bouts vs. Seagal's zero recorded bouts would take care of that question.
grappler0000
12/4/12 7:39:22PM
It smells like 1992 in here.
Bubbles
12/4/12 7:45:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

It smells like 1992 in here.

Baby Got Back
KungFuMaster
12/4/12 7:50:51PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Seagal's style of fighting is Aikido, which has been proven time and again to be next to useless in an actual fight, sport or real life. And Seagal's claim that he wouldn't fight fair goes both ways. Just about any "real" martial artist who claims that they would win against a sport fighter using techniques like throat jabs, and eye gouges amongst others fail to realize that anyone with half a brain can use this moves as well, it doesn't take years of training to poke someone in the eye.

Randy would easily nullify Seagal's actual skills with his wrestling base, because I am willing to bet that Seagal's take down defense is slim to none. And if we are talking about striking, I am pretty sure that Couture's vast experience in full contact bouts vs. Seagal's zero recorded bouts would take care of that question.

If Randy gets close enough, I have no doubt Seagal will hit the canvas. Realistically, I think Seagal would just keep kicking Randy's left knee until it blows out. That's how I see Seagal winning.
KungFuMaster
12/4/12 8:05:57PM
Here's a thought.

Machida is not your typical mma fighter. He, for the most part, is a karate guy with great take down defense and yet he dismantled Randy with relative ease. I truly believe if Seagal had adequate time to prepare for someone like Couture, he would beat him, assuming they are both in their primes.
Copenhagen
12/4/12 10:24:51PM
"I'd take Seagal any day over Randy if they were both in their prime"
When exactly was Seagal in his prime?
Was it in 1983 during Never Say Never Again or was it in 1988 during Above the Law?

My god man...Randy is a PROFESSIONAL fighter, who has competed in countless 15+ minute fights with other PROFESSIONAL fighters.
kingsmasher
12/5/12 11:53:04AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Hahahahaha

a prime James Toney still wouldn't be able to stop a single leg. Aldo has at least trained TDD and was able to stuff probably the best wrestler at FW. LWs are a little bigger but it won't be a cakewalk by any means.

oh and Jake, I 1000% agree with your post

Well Aldo was takendown against Florian I do believe and the fight with Mendes he definitely grabbed the fence to avoid the takedown...It was blatant and obvious it helped him IMO...

I think refs need to be more strict on grabbing the fence when a guy is attempting to take you down...

jjeans
12/5/12 12:20:58PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Well Aldo was takendown against Florian I do believe

Yep and he had a 5% Takedown accuracy. 1 out of 19.

Rd 1 = 1/7
Rd 2 = 0/2
Rd 3 = 0/2
Rd 4 =0/6
Rd 5 = 0/2
jjeans
12/5/12 12:22:38PM

Posted by kingsmasher

the fight with Mendes he definitely grabbed the fence to avoid the takedown...It was blatant and obvious it helped him IMO...

Mendes attempted 7 takedowns and Aldo grabbed the fence on 2 attempts and was still not taken down
cowcatcher
12/5/12 3:41:57PM
Couture responds to Seagal

Cage Potato called Randy and he sounded more amused than anything when they asked him about what Seagal said, but he was classy as usual.
BillsNewAccount
12/5/12 5:22:27PM
I like Kung Fu master. He reminds me of a kid who refuses to believe Santa is not real.

If there was ever a place to refute facts with hair brained assumptions its a message board.

That is why I think we should all give Kung Fu master props and encourage him to enlighten us on all matters regarding mma. Starting with: how Bruce Lee would KO Overeem without landing a single strike.
Bubbles
12/5/12 5:40:33PM

I like Kung Fu master. He reminds me of a kid who refuses to believe Santa is not real.

If there was ever a place to refute facts with hair brained assumptions its a message board.

That is why I think we should all give Kung Fu master props and encourage him to enlighten us on all matters regarding mma. Starting with: how Bruce Lee would KO Overeem without landing a single strike.

You probably missed this thing of beauty.
jjeans
12/5/12 6:01:11PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by kingsmasher

the fight with Mendes he definitely grabbed the fence to avoid the takedown...It was blatant and obvious it helped him IMO...

Mendes attempted 7 takedowns and Aldo grabbed the fence on 2 attempts and was still not taken down

Pages: [1] 2