Steve Cantwell

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Steve Cantwell
Dragonscale
4/13/09 7:20:46PM
He's looked pretty tough as of late... do you see him as the underdog he is in his upcoming fight?

Discuss.
State_Champ
4/13/09 7:39:30PM
Yes, I think he is an underdog even though he has looked impressive.

But his opponent has looked even more impressive to me.
Dragonscale
4/13/09 7:45:40PM
Is Sokoudjou that big of a win? he's been on quite a loosing streak... same with Jason Lambert
Playground_Samurai
4/13/09 7:48:00PM

Posted by Dragonscale

Is Sokoudjou that big of a win? he's been on quite a loosing streak... same with Jason Lambert

Is Razak Al-Hassan that big of a win? How bout Brian Stann?
breakdown5
4/13/09 8:10:13PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Dragonscale

Is Razak Al-Hassan that big of a win? How bout Brian Stann?

Cane is awesome.
Pookie
4/13/09 8:11:50PM
Not even looking at their past wins/losses, Cane has the tools to destroy cantwell on the inside and outside of Cantwells striking range.

Add into the mix that after cantwell throws leather he tends to back out of the pocket and you have a fighter that consistently is moving into Canes strongest point of attack.

Sokoudjou would beat cantwell too
sclasclemski
4/13/09 8:24:56PM

Posted by Pookie

Not even looking at their past wins/losses, Cane has the tools to destroy cantwell on the inside and outside of Cantwells striking range.

Add into the mix that after cantwell throws leather he tends to back out of the pocket and you have a fighter that consistently is moving into Canes strongest point of attack.

I think Soko's credibility has been drawn into question based on the fact that he hasn't been able to do much of anything as of late...isn't his record 5-4?
Mayhem13
4/13/09 8:28:09PM
Cantwell is young and full of potential..i have high hopes for the kid...but at this point he is not going to be a real big threat to the LHW division, and it will be obvious after his fight with Banha, who will pick him apart standing and drop him with a left hook after some abuse from both hands and knees against the cage.

2 years from now i wouldnt be suprised at all to see him as a true contender..but not yet...

after he loses this fight i would like to see him fight Red Schafer though....not sure why, but that fight would be cool
Pookie
4/13/09 8:55:19PM

Posted by sclasclemski

Posted by Pookie

I think Soko's credibility has been drawn into question based on the fact that he hasn't been able to do much of anything as of late...isn't his record 5-4?

indeed it is, but he still would beat cantwell, and handily at that.
chitown97
4/13/09 9:34:04PM
There are still a lot of guys that Soko would destroy and Cantwell would be one of them.
Cane is a big striker at LHW and he will pick Steve apart from both the inside and the outside as was already mentioned.
Cane late 1st round TKO.
Soko's record
Result Opponent Method Event Title Date Round Time
Loss Renato Sobral Submission (Brabo Choke) Affliction - Day of Reckoning 1/24/2009 2 2:36
Loss Luis Arthur Cane TKO (Punches) UFC 89 - Bisping vs. Leben 10/18/2008 2 4:15
Win Kazuhiro Nakamura TKO (Leg Injury) UFC 84 - Ill Will 5/24/2008 1 5:00
Loss Lyoto Machida Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) UFC 79 - Nemesis 12/29/2007 2 4:20
Win Ricardo Arona KO (Punch) PRIDE 34 - Kamikaze 4/8/2007 1 1:59
Win Antonio Rogerio Nogueira KO (Punch) PRIDE 33 - Second Coming 2/24/2007 1 0:23
Loss Glover Teixeira KO (Punches) WEC 24 - Full Force 10/12/2006 1 1:41
Win Paul Weremecki TKO (Head Kick and Punches) SF 17 - Hot Zone 8/5/2006 1 2:11
Win Gary Padilla Decision (Split) TC 15 - Total Combat 15 7/15/2006 3 5:00

A loss is a loss but in his short run he has faced nothing but strong competition.
breakdown5
4/13/09 10:04:16PM
EDIT: never mind
Jackelope
4/13/09 10:20:36PM
I've got a lot of hope for Cantwell's future. He has some good looking technique that needs only a little bit of polishing, but IMO Cane will run through him. I'm kind of disappointed that Cantwell has to fight this one, actually. Cane is just absolutely cutting a swath through LHW, and he'll probably continue almost all the way to the top.

Cantwell could be a potential top 10 in the future, though. He's young, hungry, mean, and loaded with potential.

IMO a better fight would have been Thiago Silva vs. Cantwell or Thiago Silva vs. Cane
chitown97
4/13/09 10:22:15PM

Posted by Jackelope

I've got a lot of hope for Cantwell's future. He has some good looking technique that needs only a little bit of polishing, but IMO Cane will run through him. I'm kind of disappointed that Cantwell has to fight this one, actually. Cane is just absolutely cutting a swath through LHW, and he'll probably continue almost all the way to the top.

Cantwell could be a potential top 10 in the future, though. He's young, hungry, mean, and loaded with potential.

IMO a better fight would have been Thiago Silva vs. Cantwell or Thiago Silva vs. Cane

I would love to see Thiago Silva verse Cane. That has the makings of a war. Good call
telnights
4/13/09 10:31:07PM
I like Cantwell but I don't think he is ready for the level of fighter that Cane is. Now as far as Sokoudjou he has been a victim of his own success. Sokoudjou fought 5 top 20 LHWs is just 9 fights.
prozacnation1978
4/13/09 11:29:39PM
cane looked unstoppable
i think cane will win but if steve does win no biggie

either way i think a steve vs brian stann match will happen next
IriShame
4/14/09 12:47:51AM

Posted by Jackelope

I've been calling for that since their last opponents. Apparently there is some history there too as the two were bitter rivals in Brazil.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/14/09 1:21:51AM
I think Cantwell is going down by way of KO, 1st or 2nd
slapshot
4/14/09 2:13:12AM
smart bet is Cane.
Franklinfan47
4/14/09 9:54:34AM
Cantwell has looked good, but I think he is a mid-level fighter at best. I think Cane is the most underated Lhw in the division right now, and will run right through Cantwell, hopefully get a tougher opponent next time out. Cane by KO in the 1st.
bjj1605
4/14/09 2:56:16PM
I think Brian Stann and Steve Cantwell will both loose handily. The WEC LHW division isn't anywhere neat the level of the UFC. Cantwell is a good up and coming guy and I think he'll rebound but Cane is gonna be too much for him at this point.

Its like with Condit. He looked so good in the WEC vs mid level competition. But he couldn't dominate in the same way in the UFC. I think we'll see it even more so with these two. They haven't been developed enough to face top tier 205lbs fighters
State_Champ
4/14/09 6:17:20PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

cane looked unstoppable
i think cane will win but if steve does win no biggie

either way i think a steve vs brian stann match will happen next

completely.