Le Steps Down; Shields vs. Miller for 185 belt.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Le Steps Down; Shields vs. Miller for 185 belt.
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/17/09 10:30:49PM
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Thursday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that his middleweight champion, Cung Le, has booked another major motion picture role and will relinquish his belt.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller will now vie for the undisputed title under the eye of CBS when the two meet at the promotion’s network debut Nov. 7 at location to be announced early next week. A report on ESPN.com says the Sears Center Arena in Chicago is under intense consideration, citing sources close to the situation. The telecast will air live from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET. Coker was unaware whether the broadcast would be tape delayed to other parts of the country.

Link
Aaronno9
9/17/09 11:16:59PM
War Mahyem! Lets see how Jake fairs against a guy who owns him standing and he cant submit.
Sinister
9/17/09 11:27:18PM
Ha, one of many steps towards making any of Strikeforces belts legit.
Nightmare27
9/17/09 11:27:20PM
Mayhem has got this one. Le might just be done with MMA all together, sure seems that way.
TimW001
9/17/09 11:33:04PM
That's too bad.

But ohwell, this should be fun.
xphycorx
9/17/09 11:49:27PM
cung le really disappoints me. he could be a top middleweight.
higdon10
9/17/09 11:59:55PM
I like Miller in this one.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/18/09 1:05:49AM
I wanted to see cung get beat before he left

I think shields will tap miller or win a ud . Jacare will have it when its all said and done
Doneskiis
9/18/09 5:24:01AM
MAYHEM!!!!!!
Drudinh
9/18/09 7:42:22AM

Posted by xphycorx

cung le really disappoints me. he could be a top middleweight.

hate4thestate
9/18/09 9:30:34AM
i see alot of shields hatin? shields will dominate miller no problem. no one thought shields would beat lawler and look how that turned out.
jocka
9/18/09 9:41:12AM

Posted by hate4thestate

i see alot of shields hatin? shields will dominate miller no problem. no one thought shields would beat lawler and look how that turned out.

Well Shield's stand up is not great so i think Miller should be better on the feet plus lets say that Miller won't get stuck in a Guillotine like Lawler did.

War Miller!
DCRage
9/18/09 9:54:19AM
About time (Le dropping the belt). Even better that it's on CBS on 11/7.
postman
9/18/09 10:53:21AM
Rampage walks away from a fight and he gets put on blast Le walks away from a title and no hate?
DCRage
9/18/09 11:00:01AM
I think everyone was waiting for SF to strip Le of the title for a long time now and we gave up, and of course Rampage was booked for a big fight and essentially walked out on Dana. Of course Mike Afromowitz is not Dana, but he also knows that perhaps by waiting for UFC to self-implode the pressure's off him and now he has control.
wrona666
9/18/09 12:12:49PM
I think Shields dominates this fight with his wrestling to win a UD.......I see this fight going much like when St. Pierre destroyed Miller......
emfleek
9/18/09 1:27:18PM

Posted by postman

Rampage walks away from a fight and he gets put on blast Le walks away from a title and no hate?

Totally different situations. Rampage's fight was being hyped all to hell and back. The whole reasoning behind making Rampage and Rashad coaches on the Ultimate Fighter was because the UFC wanted to hype their fight. Knowing that Kimbo was on the show, they knew MILLIONS of non-UFC fans would tune. They were banking on people tuning in for Kimbo, but after "getting to know" Rashad and Rampage, they'd be tuning in for that fight, as well. Now that the fight is postponed, those potential new fans have longer to wait...and longer to lose interest.

Le stepped out without having a fight booked. There was no potential money to be made from a guy if he's not going to fight or defend his title.
Wolfenstein
9/18/09 2:14:57PM
I think Shields is a top P4P fighter, and Miller is nowhere near that level. I'm sure he'll be tough to submit, but I don't think he's that dangerous on the feet, and the disparity on the mat is huge.
prozacnation1978
9/18/09 2:51:04PM
i had a feeling he was going too, but good co main event free on tv
telnights
9/18/09 3:27:07PM

Posted by emfleek
Totally different situations. Rampage's fight was being hyped all to hell and back. The whole reasoning behind making Rampage and Rashad coaches on the Ultimate Fighter was because the UFC wanted to hype their fight. Knowing that Kimbo was on the show, they knew MILLIONS of non-UFC fans would tune. They were banking on people tuning in for Kimbo, but after "getting to know" Rashad and Rampage, they'd be tuning in for that fight, as well. Now that the fight is postponed, those potential new fans have longer to wait...and longer to lose interest.

Le stepped out without having a fight booked. There was no potential money to be made from a guy if he's not going to fight or defend his title.

I agree what Rampage did is totally different than what Le is doing. Rampage turned down a title fight just to fight Rashad and be a coach on TUF 10. He also signed a contract saying he would fight. Talked a ton of trash about this fight and how he is going to KO Rashad and then to say after all this time and money had been invested and the hole season 10 has been shot he says he is going to shoot a movie instead. Which I'm betting isn't paying him near what he could make form this fight. Its disrespectful and childish to say the least. You know I don't mind Rampage wanting to be in the movies and I fully think fighters should be free to do what they want as long as they haven't agreed already to a fight. But once you agree to a fight and money is spent your obligated to do what you said and signed you would do. A man of only as strong as his word.
postman
9/18/09 6:44:57PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by emfleek

I agree what Rampage did is totally different than what Le is doing. Rampage turned down a title fight just to fight Rashad and be a coach on TUF 10. He also signed a contract saying he would fight. Talked a ton of trash about this fight and how he is going to KO Rashad and then to say after all this time and money had been invested and the hole season 10 has been shot he says he is going to shoot a movie instead. Which I'm betting isn't paying him near what he could make form this fight. Its disrespectful and childish to say the least. You know I don't mind Rampage wanting to be in the movies and I fully think fighters should be free to do what they want as long as they haven't agreed already to a fight. But once you agree to a fight and money is spent your obligated to do what you said and signed you would do. A man of only as strong as his word.

I agree with both of you that Rampage is wrong and is putting the UFC in a bad spot. I was more refering to the people who said that Page should only fight not do Movies that being a champion in MMA is much better then a movie star. I agree with DC Rage this isn't getting blown up cause most forgot about Le and thought it would happen anyway.
grappler0000
9/18/09 8:42:42PM
This actually works out pretty well for SF. They now get a full blown title fight on the card...both fighters have been recently seen on MTV by the kiddies. And once Le is finally ready to return (after possibly making a name for himself via Hollywood), SF can hype his comeback fight on CBS with an immediate shot at the belt.
runningman08
9/18/09 8:56:53PM
Cung Le= Worst MMA Champion of all time. If he wants to go do movies then go ahead and let him but he shouldn't ever be welcomed into mma ever again. He must of not had the same passion as the other fighters. I'm glad to see Shields and Miller are fighting for it. Two great fighter who love the sport.
Aether
9/19/09 4:06:13PM
he should've been stripped a really long time ago. I'm not a fan of this whole people leaving to do movies nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, if your contract is up and you have no obligations or belts to defend and you want to so something else that's fine. But the guys who are walking away to do movies in the middle of contracts, while holding belts, etc. I think it's unacceptable.

Huerta for instance, has waited for his contract to expire, I respect that a lot. What guys like Rampage are doing I really don't respect at all. He signed up to do a television show which culminates in a main event fight in the middle of his contract and he just walks away from it. I really can't respect that decision.
slapshot
9/20/09 2:24:42AM
Miller is overrated IMO.
hate4thestate
9/21/09 5:28:32AM

Posted by jocka

Posted by hate4thestate

Well Shield's stand up is not great so i think Miller should be better on the feet plus lets say that Miller won't get stuck in a Guillotine like Lawler did.

War Miller!

never said shields would beat him standing. shields wrestling and bjj is so good that it negates most fighters stand up. he might not guillotine miller but he will submit or gnp him.