Stephan Bonnar retires from mixed martial arts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Stephan Bonnar retires from mixed martial arts
sparky
10/30/12 11:40:03PM
Fight fans have seen the last of Stephan Bonnar.

Bonner, who recently suffered a lopsided first-round knockout loss at the hands of Anderson Silva at UFC 153, had his fate sealed by UFC President Dana White late Tuesday night.

"Yes, Bonnar will be retiring now," White revealed midway through an online MetroPCS chat with fans.

Bonnar later confirmed the news to MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwan

Link
Budgellism
10/30/12 11:53:21PM
He didn't suffer too much damage in his career and he will most definitely have some sort of ufc job lined up in the future. Good for him and good for his family.

He made a bigger impact on this sport than most people ever will. I was never a big fan of him but I can respect what he's done. Peace out Bonnar.
prophecy033
10/30/12 11:59:36PM

Posted by Budgellism

He didn't suffer too much damage in his career and he will most definitely have some sort of ufc job lined up in the future. Good for him and good for his family.

He made a bigger impact on this sport than most people ever will. I was never a big fan of him but I can respect what he's done. Peace out Bonnar.

His face sure took a lot of damage

Thanks for the heart you brought to every fight. It truly was awesome watching you scrap
DrivenDavies15
10/31/12 12:13:32AM

Posted by Budgellism

Pretty much sums up my thoughts

He's an awesome dude funny and charismatic. The MMA world will miss him for sure.
jae_1833
10/31/12 12:21:48AM
Like him better than Forrest and honestly never got over the thought that he was robbed in the first fight. Very fun to watch! Thanks for the good times!!!
infestructure
10/31/12 12:52:15AM
Bonnar was a true fighter, lacking power but making up for it with heart. I'll also never forget his asparagus talk with Diego Sanchez - Youtube video
ghandikush
10/31/12 1:27:51AM
I wish Bonnar would have been fed a can to go out on. After Anderson PPV he is undoubtedly the biggest draw he'll ever be.
GSPCanada
10/31/12 1:52:37AM
Never been a big fan on his but sure would have liked to see him have one more fight. The guy had so many wars but the last memory we have of him is Anderson Silva toying with him.
Bubbles
10/31/12 9:01:55AM
I hate seeing guys leave the sport like this. I wish him the best
airkerma
10/31/12 10:11:55AM
He will certainly go down in history. Godspeed, friend
Theoutlaw08
10/31/12 10:59:57AM
Good career. I enjoyed watching him fight. I'm sure we will see him commentating in the near future.
BillsNewAccount
10/31/12 11:02:25AM
At least he went out on top and got to say goodbye to the fans. Oh wait, he got completely embarrassed and wasn't allowed the opportunity to speak after the fight.

I do not envy the life of a fighter.

Oh well, I'll always remember when he beat up a gassed Jon Jones in the third. Five round fight and Bonnar would have been the only fighter to legitimately beat JJ.
prozacnation1978
10/31/12 7:11:46PM
I like bonnar. First Kenny now bonnar
Tuf 1 cast is starting to hang it up

Watched him fight Coleman at Ufc 100
And Kingsbury at 139
Glad to see him fight live
prophecy033
10/31/12 7:31:52PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I like bonnar. First Kenny now bonnar
Tuf 1 cast is starting to hang it up

Watched him fight Coleman at Ufc 100
And Kingsbury at 139
Glad to see him fight live

What fight or fighter for that matter haven't you seen live?
infestructure
10/31/12 8:16:27PM

Posted by ghandikush

I wish Bonnar would have been fed a can to go out on. After Anderson PPV he is undoubtedly the biggest draw he'll ever be.

Sorry dude, but I can not endorse this statement. I don't ever want to see match ups made purely to make a fighter feel better on his way out, or in the Silva vs Bonnar case, just to fill in a card.
BuffaloDave
10/31/12 9:27:06PM

Posted by Budgellism

I feel the same way.
kopower
10/31/12 9:29:32PM
Was not a fan of him at first, but towards the end, he really grew on me. I also would have liked to see him go out with a win. I actually wouldn't have minded another fight with Griffin. I will always remember his toughness and heart.