Stephan Bonnar, Dave Herman Fail UFC 153 Drug Tests, Await Potential Suspensions

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Stephan Bonnar, Dave Herman Fail UFC 153 Drug Tests, Await Potential Suspensions
Next Page »
Biggavelli
11/2/12 2:40:28PM
UFC 153 fighters Stephan Bonnar (15-8 MMA, 8-7 UFC) and Dave Herman (21-5 MMA, 1-3 UFC) each tested positive for banned substances in their post-fight drug screens.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with Ultimate Fighting Championship officials that all 24 fighters who competed at this past month's UFC 153 event in Brazil were tested, and Bonnar and Herman were the lone two competitors who failed the screen.

Bonnar tested positive for Drostanolone, an anabolic steroid, while Herman's screen was flagged for marijuana metabolites.

LINK
ghandikush
11/2/12 2:41:54PM
At least we know he gave it his all
postman
11/2/12 3:09:51PM

Posted by ghandikush

LOL can't blame him. Thats 2 ppl caught tryin to get an edge on Anderson. I wonder who has the most failed test by an oppenet?
Biggavelli
11/2/12 3:16:35PM

Posted by postman

Posted by ghandikush

LOL can't blame him. Thats 2 ppl caught tryin to get an edge on Anderson. I wonder who has the most failed test by an oppenet?

It's gonna take more then some roids to help someone beat Silva!
postman
11/2/12 3:17:30PM

Posted by Biggavelli

Posted by postman

Posted by ghandikush

It's gonna take more then some roids to help someone beat Silva!

I would have tried to have a .22 in my cup
Bubbles
11/2/12 3:19:32PM

Posted by postman

Posted by ghandikush

Cro Cop...and he beat Barnett 3x
Theoutlaw08
11/2/12 3:19:53PM
Sucks that Bonnar did that. Lost a bit of respect for a dude I had a lot of respect for. He's been such a fan favorite in this sport, it just sucks that he disrespects the sport so much to cheat.
Bubbles
11/2/12 3:20:08PM

Posted by postman

go swimming
grappler0000
11/2/12 3:20:14PM

Posted by postman

Posted by ghandikush

It's funny you say that, because just a couple of weeks ago I was looking at how many opponents Anderson has had that have popped or have a TUE for TRT. Not all of them in the fight against him, but in their career. It's quite a few.

Off the top of my head, Bonnar (this is his second), Vitor, Chael (for elevated levels/TUE), Irvin, Forrest (not busted, but admitted recently), Hendo (TUE), and Leben.
postman
11/2/12 3:20:24PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by postman

Posted by ghandikush

Cro Cop...and he beat Barnett 3x

He was a scary mother back then too
Biggavelli
11/2/12 3:23:45PM

Posted by postman

postman
11/2/12 3:24:25PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Sucks that Bonnar did that. Lost a bit of respect for a dude I had a lot of respect for. He's been such a fan favorite in this sport, it just sucks that he disrespects the sport so much to cheat.

I'm not around everyone but I have been around alot here in PA and i'd say somewhere around 90% of the fighters I know are on it or have been on it. No big names. Its part of the sport and if someone came out with hard evedince saying 100% are I wouldn't be shocked. Training takes so much out of you alot of the times you have no other options if you want to fight. That leads to guys just doing it cause everyone else is.
ghandikush
11/2/12 3:37:18PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I'm not around everyone but I have been around alot here in PA and i'd say somewhere around 90% of the fighters I know are on it or have been on it. No big names. Its part of the sport and if someone came out with hard evedince saying 100% are I wouldn't be shocked. Training takes so much out of you alot of the times you have no other options if you want to fight. That leads to guys just doing it cause everyone else is.

Or using for healing injuries
Theoutlaw08
11/2/12 3:43:15PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I respectfully disagree. I dont think its part of the sport. Clearly not everyone needs it, because they would get caught. I think its stupid to try and cheat the system.
Bubbles
11/2/12 3:44:05PM

Posted by grappler0000
It's funny you say that, because just a couple of weeks ago I was looking at how many opponents Anderson has had that have popped or have a TUE for TRT. Not all of them in the fight against him, but in their career. It's quite a few.

Off the top of my head, Bonnar (this is his second), Vitor, Chael (for elevated levels/TUE), Irvin, Forrest (not busted, but admitted recently), Hendo (TUE), and Leben.

PRIDE fighters have to be considered too in their time in Japan. No testing so who knows how many fighters were on something. It's all speculation but something to keep in mind
postman
11/2/12 3:50:44PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I respectfully disagree. I dont think its part of the sport. Clearly not everyone needs it, because they would get caught. I think its stupid to try and cheat the system.

When a fighter gets the science of cycling on and off down there is currently no way of catching them. I really don't think its cheating either. I know its against the rules but its a stupid rule. They are used to help aid in training you still need to train. They will not help you protect your face or keep you out of a sub. They simply help you stay in the gym longer. Bulking on roids in MMA is a silly notion as being huge really isn't an asset in the sport.
Poor_Franklin
11/2/12 3:55:35PM
Funny that all 3 of Anderson's 205 opponents failed their tests
BuffaloDave
11/2/12 4:15:05PM
Only thing PeeWeed could win lately, is winning suspensions.

Lot of good a suspension does for Bonnar since he retired, I would just give him a little heftier fine.

ghandikush
11/2/12 4:18:31PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by postman

Posted by Theoutlaw08

When a fighter gets the science of cycling on and off down there is currently no way of catching them. I really don't think its cheating either. I know its against the rules but its a stupid rule. They are used to help aid in training you still need to train. They will not help you protect your face or keep you out of a sub. They simply help you stay in the gym longer. Bulking on roids in MMA is a silly notion as being huge really isn't an asset in the sport.

I think the rule is really just in place to keep guys ho dont want to use PEDs from being forced to kill their liver. As long as we never abolish roids we can keep these guys from using inhuman cocktails 6 weeks out.

The rule should be that you can use roids for taining but must still be clean for performance, thats as fair as it gets, and as it currently stands thats what they have to do.
State_Champ
11/2/12 4:28:02PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Posted by ghandikush

What about Nate Marquardt?
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/2/12 4:29:03PM
I'll just go out on a limb here and say Herman's days in the UFC are over. Three straight L's, a failed drug test and don't forget, he also pissed off DW not that long ago. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something very soon.
prophecy033
11/2/12 4:43:58PM
Not rhe way i wanted Stephan going out. Sad really

As far as Herman goes, cut his ass. The dude is not UFC material
ghandikush
11/2/12 4:48:47PM

Posted by prophecy033

To be fair did you see the guys he's been fighting? I think they just did to him what they do to a lot of fighters, pick up a guy with a huge win streak and feed his momentum to fighters he's not ready for.
frizzzlecake
11/2/12 4:54:10PM
Everyone is acting shocked that Bonnar used Roids. This is the same guy who used Roids against Forrest Griffin..and still lost!

Well that's the second I think Herman's been caught with Weed, so if there was any question about him getting cut I think he answered them.
prophecy033
11/2/12 5:02:40PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

To be fair did you see the guys he's been fighting? I think they just did to him what they do to a lot of fighters, pick up a guy with a huge win streak and feed his momentum to fighters he's not ready for.

by UFC material i didnt only mean his losing streak. I alsi meant his maturity level and the choices he makes
jae_1833
11/2/12 5:02:44PM
I bet Herman gets cut too, he may have a shot to get himself back in but this is it for now....Bonnar, well I went from sad to seeing him go to not caring. That was a douche bag move as far as I am concerned.
sbulldavid
11/2/12 5:11:39PM
Anderson will eventually get busted.....for drinking Segal's urine....that's the secret behind that powerful teep.
shaneTpain
11/2/12 5:12:58PM
Lame.
ghandikush
11/2/12 5:15:32PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Anderson will eventually get busted.....for drinking Segal's urine....that's the secret behind that powerful teep.

Anderson knows Segals urine is banned by the commission which is why he's been making Shinzo share his as a masking agent, winner, Anderson!

Tribute to Segals piss
NE-1
11/2/12 5:40:16PM
Interesting. I thought he looked a little juicy at the weigh-ins, but didn't say anything. I wish I would have, would have made me look pretty cool. As opposed to stating this after the fact and looking like a douchebag.
Pages: [1] 2