Steinbeiss talks about cancelled UFN 18 Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Steinbeiss talks about cancelled UFN 18 Fight
nwowolfpack
4/8/09 1:48:08AM

PDG: How did you find out that your fight with Ryan Jensen was canceled?

Steinbeiss: We were about 30 seconds away from stepping up onto the stage for weigh-ins and right then they pulled us aside and said that the fight wasn't going to go on because of the Adderall thing.

PDG: That had to be pretty disappointing considering all the work that you put in to prepare yourself for that fight.

Steinbeiss: Most people have no idea; I made the weight and was ready to go through the weigh-ins and then pound some Pedialyte. 10 weeks of hard training and then the day before the fight you find out it is canceled. It certainly took the wind out of my sails.

Steinbeiss Interview
bls1919
4/8/09 9:13:11PM
Bum deal for Steinbeiss. Put in the work for a fool to screw it up. Hopfully he gets another shot.
bjsmit1
4/9/09 7:32:55PM
I've been friends with Jensen for about 15 years. I was with him the whole month of March in Albuquerque, helping with his training camp at Greg Jackson's. Ryan has had ADD for as long as I can remember -- to be honest, I'm not too keen on the use of pharmaceuticals for the treatment of ADD/ADHD. I think better/different parenting, teaching, etc, could be very beneficial for kids with ADD, but I've witnessed firsthand how much medication does help, in the case of Jensen.

With that being said, Jensen has disclosed the use of his prescription medication since day one. The Athletic Commissions in California, Ohio, Nebraska, etc. did not have a problem with it, and obviously allowed him to fight. Jensen had his pre-fight physical done in late February, where he disclosed his Adderall prescription. On Wednesday, March 25th, he faxed paperwork for his sponsors, etc, and again disclosed his prescription as well. Nothing was said until he was about to weigh in, on Tuesday, March 31st.

The last time Jensen took the medication was the morning of Monday, March 30th -- and it was only 5 mg, which is a very small dose relative to what others with ADD/ADHD take. It is not uncommon for individuals to take up to 150 mg per day.

When he was about to go on the stage for the weigh-ins, the Tennessee AC stopped him. They said that Adderall was a banned substance, and that he could not fight. Former Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and current Vice President of Regulatory Affairs for the UFC, Marc Ratner, argued with Tennessee officials on Jensen's behalf. The Tennessee AC said that the prescription medication Ritalin (methylphenidate) was allowed, but not Adderall. Both drugs are FDA approved for the treatment of ADD/ADHD, and act as Central Nervous System stimulants. Their method of action is virtually identical.

The half life of Adderall is 11-13 hours, and given the dose Jensen was taking, he would have in all likelihood passed the post-fight drug test. In fact, Jensen volunteered to take a drug test on Tuesday, March 31st, to prove that the medication was out of his system. The Tennessee AC would not administer a drug test, and told him that he could not fight on Wednesday, April 1st.

Like I stated, numerous state athletic commissions have allowed him to compete, and he has had a legitimate prescription for years. He provided the Tennessee AC documentation from his physician, as well as documentation from other state commissions that had cleared him to fight in the past, while using his prescribed medication.

The Tennessee AC dropped the ball on this. Jensen did everything expected of him as a fighter -- he showed up in shape, and made weight. They're the ones who should be scrutinized...
Jackelope
4/9/09 7:50:28PM

Posted by bjsmit1

He provided the Tennessee AC documentation from his physician, as well as documentation from other state commissions that had cleared him to fight in the past, while using his prescribed medication.

The Tennessee AC dropped the ball on this. Jensen did everything expected of him as a fighter -- he showed up in shape, and made weight. They're the ones who should be scrutinized...

Wow. First of all, thank you for the very well written post.

Second of all, thank you for the inside info. I've always maintained that Athletic Commissions are terrible and that drug screening standards are incredibly off the mark. My biggest criticisms have been against the CSAC, but you can officially now add TSAC to the list. Jensen got screwed in this one from the sounds of it. Big time.
Brain_Smasher
4/9/09 10:23:38PM
To bad the fight didnt happen. I felt Steinbeiss would have beat Jensen.
bjsmit1
4/9/09 10:52:53PM
No problem. The public only knows about what they read on the web (for the most part), so I wanted to clear up any misunderstandings regarding the situation.

It is a bad situation for a number of reasons, with the Tennessee Athletic Commission at fault, in my opinion.

1) They allow Ritalin (methylphenidate), but not Adderall -- virtually identical drugs, with the same side effects.

2) Jensen informed the commission over a month in advance, and they didn't take action until seconds before weigh-ins. Jensen is an honest, sincere guy who was trying to follow the rules and do the right thing. In fact, if he had not disclosed his Adderall Rx, the fight most likely would have taken place -- but because Ryan was truthful, he (and Steinbeiss) are punished.

3) Both Jensen and Steinbeiss didn't get sponsor money, etc. They also went through tough camps preparing for the fight. Ryan spent over a month living in a hotel room 1000 miles from home at Greg Jackson's school, and I'm sure Steinbeiss trained his ass off as well -- all for nothing.

4) The Tennessee AC would not allow Jensen to take a drug test before the fight to prove that it was out of his system. Some sites are even reporting that he failed a drug test -- not true; he was never even given the opportunity to take one.

5) I'm no lawyer, but this situation probably has an effect on Jensen's future employment opportunities as a fighter. One might even argue that the Americans with Disabilities Act was violated. ADD/ADHD is a recognized, legitimate disability.

6) One might argue that leaking the info of Jensen's prescription usage violated HIPAA. Again, I'm no lawyer...

I could go on and on -- obviously I'm upset because Ryan is a good friend of mine. Regardless, he got screwed, and it was not by the UFC or Zuffa. UFC officials were diligent in their efforts to make the fight happen as scheduled. The blame lies on an inexperienced, uninformed Tennessee Athletic Commission...
Jackelope
4/10/09 12:36:08AM
Well, for what it's worth I harbor no resentment for Jensen. Nor have I seen anybody harboring any. This isn't like a steroid case, so he shouldn't be losing too much face throughout this whole ordeal. If anything hopefully it will shed some light on the joke procedures these athletic commissions carry out.

Steve got paid pretty well by the UFC despite not fighting. I'm not sure if Jensen did or not. I'm sure you would know. I sure hope he got at least a little compensation. Training isn't free nor are the bills and food that go along with all that time spent in the gym without a paycheck.

You can pass the word along to Jensen from most of the playground that we support him and don't harbor any resentment. It may not be much, but a lot of the guys around here are as hardcore kind of fans as you can get and he has a lot of our support.

Thanks again for all of the info.