Stefan Struve vs Jon Jones

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Stefan Struve vs Jon Jones
NaturalBornKiller92
9/30/12 3:42:18PM
My buddy and I were just discussing it. I think this would be very intriguing and I would argue that this should be Jones first matchup at heavyweight if and when he goes up in a couple years
bojangalz
9/30/12 4:54:30PM
meh. There's no reach advantage at all for Struve- Jones' reach is 84". Struve does a terrible job of negotiating distance; dispite his long frame. He gets hit on the chin every time someone gets inside on him. I really don't see the intrigue at all. I think Jones would roll over Struve now, regardless of the size difference.

Struve get's marginally better offensively everytime out. But he's never shown any improvements to the obvious flaws in his defense.

I'd take Jones over all but maybe the top 3-4 HW's in the world right now.
sbulldavid
9/30/12 4:58:03PM
Seriously doubt Jones ever becomes a serious contender at Heavyweight other than an occasional dabble
Adrenaline
9/30/12 5:32:30PM

Posted by bojangalz

meh. There's no reach advantage at all for Struve- Jones' reach is 84". Struve does a terrible job of negotiating distance; dispite his long frame. He gets hit on the chin every time someone gets inside on him. I really don't see the intrigue at all. I think Jones would roll over Struve now, regardless of the size difference.

Struve get's marginally better offensively everytime out. But he's never shown any improvements to the obvious flaws in his defense.

The only intrigue for me would be that Struve is extremely active from guard and that is where Jones does most of his damage. Jon has rocked people on the feet with elbows but for the most part he is not a power striker in the sense that usually catches Struve so It would almost be a sure thing that it goes to the ground and Struve is dangerous down there with those long legs. It would just be interesting to see Jon fight someone that he doesn't have a massive size advantage against.
prozacnation1978
9/30/12 6:22:11PM
Hopefully if struve has a armbar on him he will just snap it and not ease off like Belfort
bjj1605
9/30/12 6:55:01PM
I think Jones would murder Struve.

Standing, there is no reach advantage either way (which is the only thing that keeps Struve alive in most of his fights because of his terrible defense.) Jones is a much better striker when it comes to technique.

I guess I could see Struve catching Jon with a submission from the bottom (Stuve has those long ass legs) but I think that Jon's athleticism and posture would keep him out of trouble there as well.
Twenty20Dollars
9/30/12 7:12:17PM
If Struve sharpend his stand up, I'd give him a better shot. He would probably still have a good shot on the ground.

Would like to see Struve use his height and reach more and use more kicks.
tcunningham
9/30/12 8:00:19PM
yea, struve fights pretty short for a super tall dude. i think jones would get him with takedown or trip and probably sub him out. i could see them fighting though.
Bubbles
9/30/12 8:06:13PM

Posted by bjj1605

Standing, there is no reach advantage either way (which is the only thing that keeps Struve alive in most of his fights because of his terrible defense.) Jones is a much better striker when it comes to technique.

I guess I could see Struve catching Jon with a submission from the bottom (Stuve has those long ass legs) but I think that Jon's athleticism and posture would keep him out of trouble there as well.

I disagree. Jones' striking isn't very technical and is effective because of his massive reach. Struve will use his jab and uppercut to batter Jones' face. Jones' spinning elbows and single shots and kicks wont be nearly as effective against a fighter taller than him. And if this fight goes to the ground, Struve has a very good chance at subbing him.
ghandikush
9/30/12 9:18:00PM
Jones would never take that risk. It's one hell of a fight but I would expect Jones' first fight to be a Hunt or Werdum, something like that.
jae_1833
9/30/12 9:26:34PM
I think the easiest way to see how Jones deals with a lanky striker is to match him up with A. Silva at LHW, which I know is nearly impossible with the fighters never being willing to fight someone who may actually have a shot at defeating them. If Silva vs Jones Superfight can't be made then match him up with Gustaffson.
kingsmasher
9/30/12 10:23:00PM

Posted by bojangalz

Struve said in interview hes working on establishing distance with his reach...hes doing a poor job as of right now...
kingsmasher
9/30/12 10:27:36PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

I disagree. Jones' striking isn't very technical and is effective because of his massive reach. Struve will use his jab and uppercut to batter Jones' face. Jones' spinning elbows and single shots and kicks wont be nearly as effective against a fighter taller than him. And if this fight goes to the ground, Struve has a very good chance at subbing him.

I agree with all this except subbing Jones....Its really quite hard to sub somoene unless they are rocked or their name is Pat Barry....Jones I think can easily I mean easily take Struve down with his athleticism and work some ground and pound that Struve has never seen.....Theres no way Struves BJJ is better than Shogun or Vitors but its good against guys who dont know anything...I seriously doubt this fight happens though for at leaast 3 to 5 years...

I just dont see Jon Jones trying to box with Struve at all...Greg Jackson wont allow it...
Bubbles
9/30/12 11:40:32PM

Posted by kingsmasher
I agree with all this except subbing Jones....Its really quite hard to sub somoene unless they are rocked or their name is Pat Barry....Jones I think can easily I mean easily take Struve down with his athleticism and work some ground and pound that Struve has never seen.....Theres no way Struves BJJ is better than Shogun or Vitors but its good against guys who dont know anything...I seriously doubt this fight happens though for at leaast 3 to 5 years...

I just dont see Jon Jones trying to box with Struve at all...Greg Jackson wont allow it...

Belfort and Shogun do have better jitz, but Struve has those incredibly long legs to snap on a triangle or use the butterfly guard more effectively. I don't doubt Jones can take him down, but it's a different game sitting in Struve's guard vs Belfort's or Shogun's
kingsmasher
9/30/12 11:52:06PM

Posted by jae_1833

I think the easiest way to see how Jones deals with a lanky striker is to match him up with A. Silva at LHW, which I know is nearly impossible with the fighters never being willing to fight someone who may actually have a shot at defeating them. If Silva vs Jones Superfight can't be made then match him up with Gustaffson.

But Silva is so willing to fight GSP...oh thats because of his size advantage but of course he doesnt want a Jon Jones....I just dont see Silva taking any fight that threatens him...I hope IM wrong....Weidman said he woulda fought him at 205...

BUt Bonnar is the bigger draw....I wish people would boycott buying that fight and make a statement to Silva and his management....they shouldnt be able to dictate the fights....
ghandikush
10/1/12 12:04:51AM
Youre riding Jones nuts on this one and dont forget that Struves offensive JJ is worlds better than Vitor and Shogun. Had Vitor not had ONE fight where he used it he would not be mentioned.... and Shogun had shit JJ since after pride.
kingsmasher
10/1/12 12:29:37AM

Posted by ghandikush

Youre riding Jones nuts on this one and dont forget that Struves offensive JJ is worlds better than Vitor and Shogun. Had Vitor not had ONE fight where he used it he would not be mentioned.... and Shogun had shit JJ since after pride.

I totally disagree with Struves JJ being worlds better than two Brazilians...Who has Struve beat that is a BJJ practitioner? I mean Sean Mccorkle almost subbed him but he did reverse it....I dont like to call out almost being subbed but that was Sean Mccorkle...I am guessing after the last weekend being the better guy in BJJ has no bearing on anything....after Sass got subbed....

I will continue to think that wrestling and BJJ is the best combo... still I think its a huge advantage to have Greg Jackson...Alot of guys have Greg Jackson but Jones actually follows a gameplan from what hes said...but i think its a moot point...Fight wont happen for years...

I just still think Struve is very uncoordinated on his feet...Miocic I think shouda swarmed on that one punch that landed nicely....
jakewalters
10/1/12 1:13:53AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by ghandikush

I totally disagree with Struves JJ being worlds better than two Brazilians...Who has Struve beat that is a BJJ practitioner? I mean Sean Mccorkle almost subbed him but he did reverse it....I dont like to call out almost being subbed but that was Sean Mccorkle...I am guessing after the last weekend being the better guy in BJJ has no bearing on anything....after Sass got subbed....

I will continue to think that wrestling and BJJ is the best combo... still I think its a huge advantage to have Greg Jackson...Alot of guys have Greg Jackson but Jones actually follows a gameplan from what hes said...but i think its a moot point...Fight wont happen for years...

I just still think Struve is very uncoordinated on his feet...Miocic I think shouda swarmed on that one punch that landed nicely....

Agreed. Struve's chin has been much more questionable than Jones. Jones is by far the more technical fighter, although that reach would finally be negated against Struve.
DancingDoll
10/1/12 9:03:05AM
I think this would be an interesting fight.

I do think that Jones is a great technician but a lot of his success is bolstered by his unique physicality compared to competitors. Struve would be an interesting match up for him and I would give him a fair shot at getting a sub in this fight.

Jones isn't invincible and his last couple of fights with Machida and Belfort have shown the weaknesses in his game. It *is* possible to beat him. Whether Struve would be that guy, I'm a bit on the fence about - but I do think it would make for an interesting fight.
Bubbles
10/1/12 11:28:35AM

Posted by jakewalters

Agreed. Struve's chin has been much more questionable than Jones. Jones is by far the more technical fighter, although that reach would finally be negated against Struve.

Who has Jones fought that has comparable punching power as JDS, Nelson or Browne? Johnson, Miocic and Barry also hit pretty damn hard too.

I guess Rampage and Belfort, as we saw Jones get staggered by Belfort. Let Jones get hit by guys with that kind of power and then we can question his chin. A straight from Machida stunned him...can we question Jones' chin? Also since when does Jon have this 1 punch power to test Struve's chin?
fullerene
10/1/12 12:47:06PM
IMO people are really overrating Jones' ability to fight guys who are bigger than him. Maybe the reach is technically even, but it's different punching at a guy who is eight inches taller than you than punching at a guy who is eight inches shorter. And what about the lengths of the kicks? What about the ability to plum in the clinch, something Jones likes to do against shorter opponents?

It would be an interesting fight--one I"d pay to see--but I think Jones would need an easier touch for his first HW fight. He's the bigger star by a good bit and I'm sure his sponsors, managers and the UFC themselves wouldn't want to see him get beat in his HW debut.