HERE WE GO STEELERS....HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » HERE WE GO STEELERS....HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Page
postman
2/2/09 2:26:47PM

Posted by Jackelope

Props to the Steelers for a solid victory. Both teams played their hearts out.

I will say this, though- I think the NFL lost as a whole. That was a great superbowl ruined by some wishy-washy officiating. There were calls that should have been made on both teams, and there were calls that shouldn't have been made on both teams. The roughing the passer call was B.S. (what ever happened to the 2 step rule?) Even though Fitzgerald caught the fade there should have been a flag thrown for pass interference (defender never once looked back at the ball and put his hands in receiver's face) the safety call was b.s. too imo. Holding happens every play, and it only just so happens they throw the flag when the Steelers get the ball out of safety territory? Not to mention the actual holding happened while the defender was a couple feet from the QB during the release. The game reeked of being rigged IMO and it was horrible wishy-washy officiating. I sincerely believe the refs wanted to make it a close game.

I hate how sports are being ruined by officiating, and in my opinion there is no doubt that the ref must have had money on points in that game. You've got to be consistent if you're going to nitpick penalties, otherwise you open yourself up for this kind of criticism. Honestly, if the Cardinals would have won I'd have been pissed, even though I was rooting for them. I hate to see damn good football ruined by crappy officiating. Crooked refs in the NBA, MLB, and now NFL. Margarito putting plastic in his gloves.. wtf is the world coming to? Who is honest anymore?

Glad to see someone outside of pittsburgh agree that was a cheap safty. would prop ya but gotta spread the love
zephead
2/3/09 4:47:53PM

Posted by Jackelope

Props to the Steelers for a solid victory. Both teams played their hearts out.

I will say this, though- I think the NFL lost as a whole. That was a great superbowl ruined by some wishy-washy officiating. There were calls that should have been made on both teams, and there were calls that shouldn't have been made on both teams. The roughing the passer call was B.S. (what ever happened to the 2 step rule?) Even though Fitzgerald caught the fade there should have been a flag thrown for pass interference (defender never once looked back at the ball and put his hands in receiver's face) the safety call was b.s. too imo. Holding happens every play, and it only just so happens they throw the flag when the Steelers get the ball out of safety territory? Not to mention the actual holding happened while the defender was a couple feet from the QB during the release. The game reeked of being rigged IMO and it was horrible wishy-washy officiating. I sincerely believe the refs wanted to make it a close game.

I hate how sports are being ruined by officiating, and in my opinion there is no doubt that the ref must have had money on points in that game. You've got to be consistent if you're going to nitpick penalties, otherwise you open yourself up for this kind of criticism. Honestly, if the Cardinals would have won I'd have been pissed, even though I was rooting for them. I hate to see damn good football ruined by crappy officiating. Crooked refs in the NBA, MLB, and now NFL. Margarito putting plastic in his gloves.. wtf is the world coming to? Who is honest anymore?

For the hold, that was a legitimate call. Ben gets hit, if not tackled for a safety on the play. The hold/takedown stopped it. The hold affected the play, it wasn't like the hold happened across the field.
MMACombat
2/3/09 10:09:43PM
I thought I'd never like American Football, but I just went out and bought Madden NFL 09 for the 360 after watching this years Super Bowl. I don't fully understand the rules or anything yet, but I'm sure I will sometime.

I was rooting for the Arizona Cardinals, don't ask me why. I haven't figured that out yet.
Jackelope
2/3/09 10:18:05PM

Posted by zephead
For the hold, that was a legitimate call. Ben gets hit, if not tackled for a safety on the play. The hold/takedown stopped it. The hold affected the play, it wasn't like the hold happened across the field.

I think that's pretty debatable since he was just about to throw when the hold took place.

My main point isn't one specific play. It's the fact that the refs are nit-picky and inconsistent. Like I said- if you're going to call a hold there then you might as well call one every play. Holding happens on the line ALL the time. I honestly believe the only reason they called that hold was because the Steelers got themselves out of the red zone when the pass was completed. (and if you watch you'll see the flag comes after the catch)

Like I said- I only want consistency. I'm a big Arizona fan, LOL ... for God's sake I live here, but I can't buy into this wishy washy officiating. That hold was just one call out of a bunch that I had a problem with. The roughing the passer was another huge b.s. call IMO.
hippysmacker
2/3/09 11:32:08PM

Posted by MMACombat

I thought I'd never like American Football, but I just went out and bought Madden NFL 09 for the 360 after watching this years Super Bowl. I don't fully understand the rules or anything yet, but I'm sure I will sometime.

I was rooting for the Arizona Cardinals, don't ask me why. I haven't figured that out yet.

I'm just guessing your not from the US by your post,and I apologize if my assumption is wrong, but props for giving it a shot. I never thought I could appreciate Rugby til I dated a girl from Australia, but now I do.
mkiv9secsupra
2/3/09 11:34:43PM
Did anyone notice the 12th man on the field that blocked Fitzgerald from tackling Harrison on the interception return? I saw that on ESPN today and thought it was hilarious. And somehow the refs never saw that when it was probly the easiest call to make that day.
bls1919
2/4/09 7:29:24PM
DUDE it was his own teammate in the way ....what could they possibly call to hurt the steelers there!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mkiv9secsupra
2/4/09 7:50:06PM

Posted by bls1919

DUDE it was his own teammate in the way ....what could they possibly call to hurt the steelers there!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha nothing could have hurt the steelers it was just an observation that the officiating crew were a bit off their game that night. It was just hilarious that larry was probly going to stop the td and his own team block him and possibly ruined their chance to win the superbowl
bls1919
2/4/09 8:22:59PM
ok i thought you were implying there was a flag that needed to be thrown. Sorry for being harsh, i get animated when talking about the steelers.
Jackelope
2/4/09 9:49:50PM
Just watched Inside the NFL on Showtime- all the commentators agree the refs overdid it
The_Metal_Maniac
2/5/09 7:15:45PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by bls1919

Haha nothing could have hurt the steelers it was just an observation that the officiating crew were a bit off their game that night. It was just hilarious that larry was probly going to stop the td and his own team block him and possibly ruined their chance to win the superbowl

If Larry were to have tackled Harrison it would not have been the last play of the half. Larry ran the whole way after James out of bounds. The NFL rule states that if a player goes out of bounds, he must establish himself by no more than fifteen yards. If Larry Tackles Harrison on the ten for instance, the half could not end on a defensive penalty, thus giving the Steelers an opportunity for one more play. It's easy to nit pick the whole entire game, and the refs missed a lot of calls. Each team has gripes the Warner Fumble, and the Hartwig hold in the end zone for me. Overall great game.
Pages: 1 [2]