Stats for thought....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Stats for thought....
jiujitsufreak74
6/24/09 1:34:38AM
well this is what happens when you you are bored and have a problem falling asleep at night lol. i compiled the results from the past 15 UFC events (154 Fights) (including Fight nights and TUF finales) and broke them up into categories of weight class and method. the results are actually quite interesting, and even helped me to discover some trends that i wasn't even looking for. for example, WW and LW fight A LOT more often than the other weight classes.

also, i didn't count Wandy-Franklin since it was a catch weight. not to mention i counted the Cantwell-Hassan fight as a TKO since that was the official ruling and i counted Karo-Kim even though it was declared a NC. anyway, here are my results:

Analysis:

-HW...........70.6% (T)KO........17.6% SUB........11.8% Decision

-LHW........55.6% (T)KO........11.1%SUB........33.3% Decision

-MW..........29.6% (T)KO........33.3% SUB........37.0% Decision

-WW..........32.5% (T)KO........20.0% SUB........47.5% Decision

-LW...........18.6% (T)KO........32.6% SUB........48.9% Decision

-As you go down in weight, the percentage of going to a decision becomes greater in a direct relationship.
-HW almost always finish, and when they do it is most likely with a (T)KO.
-LHW rarely get submissions. 2 of the 3 submissions recorded for this data were by the same fighter; Kryztoff.
-It almost seems too perfect, but MW has a pretty much even distribution of results
-The majority of UFC fights over the past 15 events have been WW and LW, making up more than 50% of the total fights combined.

feel free to make your own analysis and/or comment about what the data shows.
Shawn91111
6/24/09 2:22:56AM
Damn..nice work..did Bowen steal your girl or something?..took a lot of time to do that
jiujitsufreak74
6/24/09 2:26:23AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Damn..nice work..did Bowen steal your girl or something?..took a lot of time to do that

haha that would be an impossibility

but nah i'm finally done with school, whcih was why i haven't been posting as much, so now i have all the free time to waste cranking MMA numbers lol
babalu46
6/24/09 2:45:30AM
That is some impressive number crunching.

I'd expect those kind of results in terms of fight distance because HW obviously hit harder so more will end in a KO/TKO. And in the same way there is less weight behind a LW fighters strikes so less will end in KO/TKO.

But all props to you for putting this together
Pookie
6/24/09 5:32:21AM
The predominance of wrestlers in the WW division is what is responsible for the influction of Tko stoppages at that weight.

Middleweight has had one of the most eclectic variety of fighters forawhile.
Great powerhouse wrestlers(Marquardt, Okami, Hendo), Great bjj guys(Maia, Palhares, Almeida), and great strikers(Anderson, Franklin, Bisping).
It makes sense that theirs would be the division that is most evenly distributed.

And laslty, Chuck Liddell single-handedly made the LHW division a strikers division. He destroyed all the grapplers that were there, until they were eventually cut and Replaced by Strikers, the only type of fighter that stood a chance against chuck forawhile. Mix that in with the Tendency to give titleshots to the guys who beat chuck and you have those same strikers getting catapulted to the top of the divison.
Jackelope
6/24/09 9:17:05AM
I'd never actually done the numbers, but this is about what I suspected from each of these weight classes.

Pookie made a really good point about Chuck cleaning out the grapplers in LHW. It will be interesting to see if we start seeing a shift at LHW now that some more well rounded fighters who like to fight everywhere are making their way in
mkiv9secsupra
6/24/09 10:38:34AM
I would if i wasn't so lazy i would do it, but.....

you could expand it further by totaling the rounds the fights were finished in....
Rush
6/24/09 11:32:58AM
One thing I know is that the LWs typically have the stamina to go 15 mins. at a decent pace, whereas many of the HWs don't. I think this creates a mentality with the heavier fighters that they have to try and finish earlier.

The heavier fighters also hit harder so that also increases the chance of an earlier finish, particularly by (T)KO, rather than submission. The opposite being true for lighter fighters.

There was also the comment about wrestlers being more prominant in lighter divisions. I hate to say it, but wrestlers have never been the most efficient finishers in the UFC. This has been the case since Dan Severn started back in the day.

Glad to see someone else crunching numbers.
copcopps
6/24/09 11:38:55AM
nice breakdown, really need to review my picks thanks to this
Franklinfan47
6/24/09 11:46:18AM
Interesting little snippet of facts there Although, alot are not altogether surprising. Heavyweights in any combat sports have been known for more KOs and finishes because of their power while the lighter fights go for longer and are more fast paced. Meanwhile, middleweights are a balance of both. Good work!
jiujitsufreak74
6/24/09 8:29:38PM
The thing that i found most interesting was the disparity between the amount of WW + LW fights and all the other weight classes. does that strike anybody else or was that expected as well?
Franklinfan47
6/25/09 12:02:01PM
That is an interesting point jj74...while I personally did not expect it, the lw division especially has always been stacked with talent in both the ufc and japan. I wonder if it is because the average man (atleast in North America) is around 170-155 when they reach their natural fighting weight, so there is more fighters, and subsequently more fights, at those weight classes? In Japan they have alot more fights at fw, bw, etc, for the same reason. Of course, this is all just speculation. As a man of 6'2, 200 pds, its hard for me to tell
prozacnation1978
6/25/09 12:25:58PM
good chart great work

i knew as weight gets low more decisions occur
Rush
6/25/09 4:42:58PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

The thing that i found most interesting was the disparity between the amount of WW + LW fights and all the other weight classes. does that strike anybody else or was that expected as well?

It is somewhat expected to me. Just looking at the last 5 seasons of TUF, here is the weight class breakdown

Season 5 - All LW
Season 6 - All WW
Season 7 - All MW
Season 8 - LW and LHW
Season 9 - LW and WW

So if we assign a number of 1 for each weight class (2 to the seasons with just a single weight class), we get

LW = 4
WW = 3
MW = 2
LHW = 1

So 70% of the TUF fighters in the last 5 seasons are form LW and WW. I suspect that's a big reason for the influx of fights at these categories.
mikevolz
6/25/09 5:12:00PM
if you keep going lower in weight, you'll notice virtually no t(kos) in the 125 lbs category and even less submissions.
jiujitsufreak74
6/27/09 1:32:06AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

It is somewhat expected to me. Just looking at the last 5 seasons of TUF, here is the weight class breakdown

Season 5 - All LW
Season 6 - All WW
Season 7 - All MW
Season 8 - LW and LHW
Season 9 - LW and WW

So if we assign a number of 1 for each weight class (2 to the seasons with just a single weight class), we get

LW = 4
WW = 3
MW = 2
LHW = 1

So 70% of the TUF fighters in the last 5 seasons are form LW and WW. I suspect that's a big reason for the influx of fights at these categories.

great point, that has to be a factor. i wonder if someone (or i) could find out if PPVs with more aired LW and WW fights make more money