Stats agree with Akiyama UFC 100 victory

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Stats agree with Akiyama UFC 100 victory
XblacksheepX
7/14/09 12:43:29PM
Stats for UFC 100 agree with the final decision that Yoshihiro Akiyama was the rightful winner in his UFC debut against Alan Belcher Saturday in Las Vegas.

Scores were all over the place for the fight with 30-27 and 29-28 for Akiyama and 29-28 for Belcher, awarding Akiyama his thirteenth win out of fourteen tries (not including no contests).

Link
RearNakedJoke
7/14/09 2:14:38PM
the people i watched with were all claiming it was rigged but i felt it was really close and akiyama won by landing more significant shots. belcher was just hitting him with small combos and leg kicks. only the punch to the eye and kick to the balls looked like they did damage.

both put up a good fight and sexiyama showed has has huge heart!
billycarnage
7/14/09 2:57:45PM
I thought he won but have yet to watch it again. He was way smaller than i though he would be. Belcher had a serious advantage in the later rounds but Akiyama showed heart as mentioned.

I loved Akiyama's entrance music. I was just waiting for the "Boats 'n Ho's"! I like him but i don't see him getting to the top of the MW division. I wonder if he could make 170...
finnish_line
7/14/09 3:05:55PM

He did great. He'll do even better in fights where he doesn't get drilled in the nut sack.
KaibaThedon
7/14/09 3:23:27PM
?? Thats cuz he did win this fight

Dunno why Joe Rogan has to say "HE GOT ROBBED"

Akiyama won. That is all
slapshot
7/14/09 3:28:59PM
I felt Belcher won the first and the third.
Aether
7/14/09 8:49:04PM
Rogan has been doing this a lot lately. I've seen him quite a few times call the fight completely wrong and tell the audience that fighter A is clearly winning. When I was watching the fight I thought it was pretty clear that Akiyama won the second round and that the first was very close and could've gone either way. I thought that Akiyama was going into the third round 2 rounds to 0 when they were talking about how it is "Belcher's fight to lose".

I think they really need to stick to commentating and let the judges worry about judging. The current judges are bad enough, we don't need poor judging coming out of the commentary booth as well.
gartface
7/14/09 10:02:44PM
I rarely agree with stats...but I agree with this.
bootyclause
7/15/09 3:15:53PM
yeah I think Akiyama won the 1st round, it was close...sometimes people overweigh a knockdown in mma scoring. Akiyama was knocked down but also I think he was mostly even anyway in the first 4 minutes and clearly won the last minute and took the round in my book.

round 2 he clearly won the first 3 minutes and maybe SLIGHTLY lost the last 2 minutes on standup. I clearly gave that round to Akiyama overall.

round 3 he lost in the standup - but wasnt getting wrecked as it was described. He may have gotten eye poked too....and he even got a takedown in the round.

It was crazy cuz Goldberg is like "yeah Belcher has this one" halfway through the 3rd round and Rogan was talking like it was a landslide win in favor of Belcher. up to that point Belcher hadnt even won a round yet in my view.

Then it ended and Belcher, his corner men and the announcers were acting as if Belcher won big....then when it was announced for Akiyama, those people whined but if you noticed only about a few hundred people booed.

In a true robbery decision everyone sees it and boos - not even close to that in this case. At the very best it was close - i can see if you wanted to say 29-28 Belcher but I watched 2 times and both I said 29-28 Akiyama. No idea where Rogan and company were coming from.
Sam_Rothstein
7/16/09 2:52:01AM
I dunno I kind of treat it like the Forrest Griffin Vs Rampage fight. Theres no way your convincing me belcher won that fight but it wasn't a definitive enough win to sway everyone.
mrsmiley
7/16/09 7:38:22AM

Posted by Aether

Rogan has been doing this a lot lately. I've seen him quite a few times call the fight completely wrong and tell the audience that fighter A is clearly winning. When I was watching the fight I thought it was pretty clear that Akiyama won the second round and that the first was very close and could've gone either way. I thought that Akiyama was going into the third round 2 rounds to 0 when they were talking about how it is "Belcher's fight to lose".

I think they really need to stick to commentating and let the judges worry about judging. The current judges are bad enough, we don't need poor judging coming out of the commentary booth as well.

I agree Aether.
It was a close fight,but their was no reason to try to take away the moment from Akiyama.
I think it's okay for a play by play guy to give his opinion,but quiet a few times Joe just crosses into the line of favirotism.