starting my training

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » starting my training
MasterFonn
7/3/07 11:02:23PM
Hey im 17 and ive done karate (i know it sucks) since i was like 10. ive really been into MMA for the past couple of years and want to start training. im only like 135 though and i was wondering if i should put some muscle on and get to 155 first or to try find a gym to start seriously training. Or possibly both? thanks for any info
ko-kbo130
7/3/07 11:39:32PM
just about to be 17 in 2 months and i only weigh 127.. you should strat training before you worry about your weight for competing and 20lbs is alot of weight to gain.
cincyassasin
7/3/07 11:43:01PM
I agree, worry about your taining long before your weight simply because weight isn't a factor until fight time.
MasterFonn
7/4/07 12:47:03AM
alright thanks do you guys know anywhere good to train around the Philadelphia area
fedorwins1
7/4/07 2:20:40PM
Yeah don't worry about weight right now, there are plenty of good gyms around Philly, like the Fight Factory Eddie Alvarez trains there.
MattHughes
7/4/07 4:37:32PM
Well if your comfortable at 135 you can gain some weight and cut down and fight at 135. But worry about training first.
MasterFonn
7/4/07 8:22:35PM
alright thanks guys ill definately check into that
bayonetxwork
7/4/07 10:53:27PM
Its probably going to be a few years before you compete in MMA, so don't even worry about the weight until then. And also, there are more weightclasses under 155, so it would be pointless to go up there when you can just stay at your natural weight.
Omega
7/4/07 11:35:49PM

Posted by MasterFonn

Hey im 17 and ive done karate (i know it sucks) since i was like 10. ive really been into MMA for the past couple of years and want to start training. im only like 135 though and i was wondering if i should put some muscle on and get to 155 first or to try find a gym to start seriously training. Or possibly both? thanks for any info

1st Karate doesn't suck. It probably gave you the ability to at least kick. Maybe punch.........well I'd have to know what type of karate so yeah it probably sucked.

Your goal if you want ot be a 155 pounder is to see if you can get to 170 at approximately 10% body fat. I would start with some wrestling to help your ground game and find a decent gym to train at. The hard part about training is putting on the weight. Consult a nutritionist and probably up your calory intake somewhere in the area of 7000 calories. Come talk to me when you disclose where you're located (unless you've already done so I didn't bother reading the other posts)