If you were starting your own MMA org...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If you were starting your own MMA org...
Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 6:42:00PM
If you were starting your own MMA org & you could hand-pick fighters from any org to help you build your org, who would you choose?

Rules:
* 1 fighter per weight class
* You cannot choose an organization's champion (i'll allow diaz, henderson & overeem since they gave up their belts when they joined the ufc)

HW- JDS (easy pick for me here)

LHW- Phil Davis- He's a beast & at his age he's only going to grow & get better as a fighter. Love shogun, but can't count on his knees in building an org

MW- Alan Belcher- This is my sentimental pick & he always puts on great fights or finishes the fight so he's a lock for a good fight whenever he steps in the cage

WW- Rory Macdonald- was a toss up between him & Condit.

LW- Anthony Pettis- all around explosion whether on feet or on the ground. Dude aims to impress every time he fights

FW- Eric Koch- Brookins stalemated him, but I beleive he learned a lot & will avoid that situation from now on as he moves up the FW ladder

BW- Miguel Torres- I wanted Benavidez at first, but too many decision wins for my liking. Torres isn't as untouchable as most thought he was, but he's still a tough as nails fighter who is a tough fight for nearly anyone
FastKnockout
9/23/11 6:49:21PM
HW- Junior dos Santos - Speaks for itself. Tough Brazilian with heavy hands. Who doesn't want to see Junior fight?

LHW- Ryan Bader - Solid wrestler with heavy hands always makes for a great combination. Add in his brute strength and the fact he's still early in career and he has the chance to be a solid champion in a smaller league.

MW- Robbie Lawler - Lawler's already proven to be a powerhouse in the smaller leagues, winning three of for championships, including Elite XC. If you can't manage to submit him, be ready for one hell of a beatdown.

WW- Mike Swick - Always entertaining. I'd prefer him at Middleweight, but Welterweight would do. He could sell seats just on entertainment value alone.

LW- Jim Miller - Another that speaks for itself. Still one of the elite Lightweights in the world, he'd be the perfect champion if I was looking to start my own org.

FW- Mark Hominick - Who doesn't like Hominick? The kid has everything you could want in a fighter, from his heavy hands to his relentless gas tank, he'd make for a decent fight on any event card.

BW- Miguel Torres - One of the premiere Bantamweight fighters in the WEC. Made his reputation for his relentless attack and fight-till-I-Die attitude. I'd be disappointed to see this division without him somewhere at the top.

Backups:
HW- Travis Browne
LHW- Lyoto Machida
MW- Cung Le
WW- Anthony Johnson
LW- Paul Taylor
FW- Cub Swanson
BW- Urijah Faber
Budgellism
9/23/11 6:51:59PM
HW - JDS as well

LHW - Hendo. He would bring in a large fanbase and he also puts on a show every time he fights.

MW - Leben (For pure entertainment value)

WW - Really tough pick between Condit and MacDonald. I'd probably go with Condit.

LW - Guillard or Bendo. Probably Bendo. He seems to have more in his arsenal.

FW - Florian (Experienced veteran, always in a good fight)

BW - Faber
Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 6:58:13PM

Posted by FastKnockout

LHW- Ryan Bader

LW- Jim Miller

FW- Mark Hominick

big fan of those picks

Posted by Budgellism

MW - Leben (For pure entertainment value)

LW - Probably Bendo. He seems to have more in his arsenal.

FW - Florian (Experienced veteran, always in a good fight)
r

like those too. almost went florian myself. never thought of leben, but should have
hashyandy4
9/23/11 7:35:26PM
HW- Junior Dos Santos, this for me was the easiest one

LHW- Dan Henderson, it came down between hendo and shogun. Cant go wrong either way

MW- Chael Sonnen, this one was the hardest 4 me. It was between Sonnen and Stann, the reason i went with Sonnen is because of his ability to build up hype for a fight. In my opinion there is no one better or more entertaining at building hype than Chael.

WW- Carlos Condit, it was between Condit and Penn 4 me actually. I was leaning toward Penn, but there's always that chance with BJ that he might not show up mentally and physically.

LW- Ben Henderson, Very entertaining, Extremely well spoken, and he's already been a champ in a major promotion

FW- Kenny Florian, Very well known for a Featherweight, also another well spoken guy you wont have 2 worry about

BW- Urijah Faber, 2nd easiest for me. Dude is just so much more well known than any other Bantamweight
prophecy033
9/23/11 9:26:38PM
HW- Brock Lesner- this guy brings in the $. People want to see him lose and people wanna see him win. Either way he brings in the $

LHW- Rampage- He is entertaining as hell and he is always ready to throw leather. Fans are drawn to him

MW- Vitor Belfort- I love watching this guy...that's all I need

WW- BJ Penn- he is well rounded and can fight out of most situations he finds himself in. He is also one of the few guys that captures the fans imaginations

LW- Clay Guida- I love the way this guy fights. When he's fighting its must see tv

FW- Florian- well rounded fighter that is quick as lightning. Fans love him and that means they would tune in to watch.

BW- Urijah Faber, I don't like him but a lot do and that's what I would look for for my organization
Poor_Franklin
9/24/11 4:41:09AM

Posted by prophecy033

LW- Clay Guida- I love the way this guy fights. When he's fighting its must see tv

LOVE everyone in your list, including Clay, but if he doesn't start finishing fights soon, i'm jumping off the bandwagon. same goes w/ GSP

edit: i love the Condit fight, because I am pretty sure Condit is either going to finish GSP or he is going to make GSP finish him. either way we win
Budgellism
9/24/11 9:06:04AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by prophecy033

LOVE everyone in your list, including Clay, but if he doesn't start finishing fights soon, i'm jumping off the bandwagon. same goes w/ GSP

edit: i love the Condit fight, because I am pretty sure Condit is either going to finish GSP or he is going to make GSP finish him. either way we win

Condit is a tough fight for anyone but I'm still thinking GSP will earn another decision.

EDIT: If Condit finishes him I'll go completely nuts though. He's one of my favourite fighters so him winning would only be a good thing. It would open up so many great match ups as well.
Boo_Radley21
9/24/11 2:57:45PM
HW- Dos Santos - I'd rather have Velasquez but since we can't pick champions I'm screwed.

LHW- Dan Henderson - It was him or Rampage but Rampage isn't as comitted to fighting these days it seems.

MW- Vitor Belfort - At this point I think I'd pick him over anyone but Anderson (even though a rematch would be a different story he just got caught, that would have been a great fight had that not happened) or maybe Chael

WW- Jon Fitch - He's the number 2 WW in the world

LW- Melvin Guillard - Definitely has the potential to be a champion but might get screwed by a long wait time for a shot in the UFC's LW division

FW- In all honesty I don't know enough about the weight class

BW- Same as FW
emfleek
9/26/11 10:42:35AM
HEAVYWEIGHT: Brock Lesnar - He's big. He's strong. He's mouthy. He's marketable. Instant ratings. He'd easily be the face of my promotion.

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT: Rashad Evans - Like Lesnar, he's controversial and can hype a fight. A very polarizing fighter...you either love him or hate him. Not only that but he's good at what he does.

MIDDLEWEIGHT: Brian Stann - Another marketable guy (see where I'm going here?) that's on his way up. He'd go head-to-head with Lesnar in terms of being the "face" of the promotion. In a few years, I have no doubt that he'll be one of the UFC's golden boys.

WELTERWEIGHT: Carlos Condit - For one, people love nicknames like his. Secondly, he does have that killer instinct when it comes to fighting. He's an exciting fighter and, in a division full of wrestlers, would likely be my top choice (outside of Nick Diaz...didn't choose him because he's still a champion technically) since the casual fan enjoys the standup game more so than grappling.

LIGHTWEIGHT: Donald Cerrone - Like most of the guys I've listed prior to him, he's a controversial fighter with a mouth on him. He's great at hyping a fight and he's only 28.

FEATHERWEIGHT: Erik Koch - Someone else already said it, but I think the guy is eventually going to be at the top of the division some day. He's only 22 years old and has yet to even come close to his prime but is already one of the top Featherweights out there.

BANTAMWEIGHT: Urijah Faber - Pretty boy from Cali = instant West Coast (at the very least) ratings. 'Nuff said.
KungFuMaster
9/26/11 4:52:50PM

Posted by prophecy033

HW- Brock Lesner- this guy brings in the $. People want to see him lose and people wanna see him win. Either way he brings in the $

LHW- Rampage- He is entertaining as hell and he is always ready to throw leather. Fans are drawn to him

MW- Vitor Belfort- I love watching this guy...that's all I need

WW- BJ Penn- he is well rounded and can fight out of most situations he finds himself in. He is also one of the few guys that captures the fans imaginations

FW- Florian- well rounded fighter that is quick as lightning. Fans love him and that means they would tune in to watch.

BW- Urijah Faber, I don't like him but a lot do and that's what I would look for for my organization

So far I like your picks the best. All the guys you have picked are heavy PPV draws.