Starting up!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Starting up!
T25079
9/12/07 1:29:41AM
Hi, I have a question, and would appreciate anybodies attempt to help.

i am 18 years old, i played high school football, and was in great shape for a few years...During my senior year of high school, i drank a lot of beer, and gain weight...i used to lift and run everyday and was in great shape at one point. but i lost motivation and have not really done much. I weight 205, and im looking to shed pounds. Most of the fat on me, is in my stomach and love handles, and a little in my chest. My arms and legs have just a little fat on them. I was wonder if anyone had any suggestions on losing weight and getting into shape?

i have done some boxing and wrestling, and i am looking to lose weight and get in shape then attempt training. I am not looking to take things too far right now, just lose some weight and get into shape and then get some skills down.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.

Tyler
hotrodttt
9/12/07 1:34:43AM
Everyday

1 mile ( drink water )

10 , 50 yard sprints

Don't eat before you sleep
T25079
9/12/07 1:37:13AM
now, i heard its better to run when you wake up before you eat, so when you do run it burns fats that is stored not fat you ate that day?

what do you think about that issue?
fullerene
9/12/07 8:42:52AM

Posted by T25079

now, i heard its better to run when you wake up before you eat, so when you do run it burns fats that is stored not fat you ate that day?

what do you think about that issue?

I think you're overanalyzing it. You'll lose weight (or gain it slower) if you run, regardless of the time of day. Picking a time that you will be able to regularly motivate yourself to run is more important than trying to match some diurnal metabolic clock.

Since you're goal is to do some martial arts training as well, you might want to break up the running days (or add to them) with some jumping rope and shadow boxing. Try doing 3 minute rounds (2 at first if that's difficult) with 1 minute breaks. You can alternate shadow/rope rounds. Doing 3 or 4 rounds of each is a decent starting workout and it might match some of the exertion you'll have when you really start boxing even better than running.

But if you have a good set of knees, running is always a good supplemental exercise.
dP
9/12/07 8:56:32AM
Its a dumb idea is what I personally think...but, like anything you'll get varying arguments agreeing/disagreeing with it. What you should do, is eat something about 1/2 an hour before you run....not a huge breakfast mind you...but something light, like a protein shake(made with water, not milk or juice as that would just lead to bloating), some fruit or veggies are also good....REAL oatmeal is a good way to go too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a sidenote heres a mini article from a newsletter that I subscribe to that I thought might interest you, it goes over the pros and cons of starved cardio......

its actually a common misbelief.....it is good in that you have nothing in your stomach and you would theoretically burn more fat that way
that will leave you feeling lethargic and get in the way of your workout.....this way you'll have some energy to actually get you going and you'll see better results

Well, I'd first like to say that nothing is 100% good or bad. Morning cardio is no exception. When faced with such a subject, I always end up doing a pros and cons list and go from there. This way I can better organize my own opinion and give the readers a chance to make up their own minds.

First, let's look at the pros of fasted morning cardio:

Pro #1: Morning cardio could potentially increase the amount of free fatty acids (FFA) used up as fuel. This is not due to performing cardio in a glycogen depleted state though, since this isn't happening here. Unless you go to sleep in an already depleted state, you won't wake up in such a state.

During sleep almost 100% of the energy expended comes from fatty acids because of the extremely low intensity of the activity and because of the natural hGH burst which occurs 30 minutes or so after you enter the deep sleep phase (hGH increases fatty acid mobilization).

So you really aren't depleting your intramuscular glycogen stores during the night. You might be tapping your hepatic glycogen stores slightly, but even then that can't account for much since at best this contains maybe 200-300kcals of stored energy. So it's a fallacy to believe that when you wake up your muscles are emptied of their glycogen.

However, since fat is the primary energy source during your sleeping period, chances are that upon waking you have a greater amount of free fatty acids available. Since you don't have to mobilize them (they're already freed up) they become easier to oxidize for fuel and are thus more readily used up during morning cardio.

Pro #2: Fasted morning cardio could also potentially be glycogen-sparing for the same reason as stated above: the greater availability of FFAs reduces the reliance of glycogen for fuel during low-intensity energy systems work.

Pro #3: Fasted morning cardio could lead to an improved fatty acid mobilization during exercise and increase insulin sensitivity afterwards. This might be true of exercise at a low level of intensity (50-75% of max VO2) since this decreases insulin levels via the stimulation of adrenergic receptors. A lower insulin level can increase fatty acid mobilization.

However, a higher intensity of work (above 75% of max VO2) can actually have the opposite effect. So in that regard a moderate or even low intensity of work would seem to be superior in the morning as far as fat mobilization goes. (Galbo, 1983, Poortmans et Boiseau, 2003)

To counterbalance the reduction in insulin production during exercise at a moderate intensity, insulin sensitivity is increased, especially in the muscle. Since insulin sensitivity is already high in the fasted state, morning cardio could allow you to significantly increase glycogen storage and reduce the storage of carbohydrates as body fat.

If fasted state cardio could potentially increase fat mobilization, it's also potentially more catabolic to muscle tissue. This is due to an increase in cortisol production during fasted exercise. Since cortisol levels are already high in the morning, this could lead to more muscle wasting than during non-fasted cardio.

In fact, cortisol levels could increase muscle breakdown and the use of amino acids as an energy source. This is especially true if high-intensity energy systems work is performed. If an individual uses lower intensity (around 60-65% of maximum heart rate), the need for glucose and cortisol release are both reduced and thus the situation becomes less catabolic.

I personally do believe in the efficacy of morning cardio, but not in a completely fasted state. For optimal results I prefer to ingest a small amount of amino acids approximately 15-30 minutes before the cardio session. A mix of 5g of BCAA, 5g of glutamine (yeah, I know that Dave Barr won't agree with me on this!), and 5g of essential amino acids would do the trick in preventing any unwanted muscle breakdown.

However, I'll also play devil's advocate and say that morning cardio won't be drastically more effective than post-workout or afternoon cardio work when it comes to fat loss. Personally, I prefer to split up my cardio into two shorter sessions (morning and post-workout).

I wish there were a simple "good or bad" answer to this question, but there isn't. Things are never this simple. After all, I believe that AM cardio performed on an empty stomach is incredibly awesome for fat loss in certain situations and should be avoided at all costs in others. How's that for an answer?

Here are the circumstances in which I think fasted cardio is awesome and in which I think fasted cardio isn't so awesome:

• AM fasted cardio should be done when you're only interested in body comp and you have either a mesomorphic or endomorphic body type.

• AM fasted cardio should never be done when you're an anaerobic athlete requiring strength and power or you simply have an ectomorphic (naturally skinny) body type

dP
9/12/07 9:24:39AM
Now that I made my comment about the starved cardio issue, I thought I'd contribute a bit to the actual losing weight question.

When it comes to this your biggest things is going to be diet....theres no one that can make you eat properly....so in the end it will have to be you thats paying attention to what you eat.....I suggest trying to get something in your system every 3 hours, as to keep your metabolism up....even if your working on a caloric deficit you'll be doing yourself harm by not following basic nutritional common sense like eating every 3 hours and eating breakfast.

Now theres common sense diets out there like The Weight Watchers Diet....which, no matter what anyone might tell you is not for Little old ladies....theres diets that are a bit tougher like The Get Shredded Diet....and also very extreme diets like The Velocity Diet ....The velocity diet being EXTREMELY hard but effective.

But like I said its you that has final say in what you eat....and drink/dont drink.

As far as the cardio goes....HIIT is extremely effective at fat, as are other methods, such as the Tabata Method....which can be done with weights or cardio and when I say weights I mean full body movements like the clean and press/squats/thrusters....not curling/bench press/whatever.

This training method is so simple, yet so incredibly difficult:

1) For twenty seconds, work at maximum intensity

2) Rest for ten seconds

3) Repeat seven more times

That's it! Although it sounds easy, it's guaranteed to be the hardest four minutes of your life.

Another Great Fat burner is a Complex.....
A complex is a series of movements completed without putting the bar down. Grab a barbell or dumbbells (anywhere from 35-65 total pounds will work great for most people). Walk over to a spot in your gym that gives you a good four feet around. From there you'll perform a series of six movements without stopping or putting the bar down.

The Movements:

Romanian Deadlift
Bent Over Row
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Dynamic Lunge

You'll perform six reps for each movement. Example: Romanian deadlift x 6, bent over row x 6, etc. Rest for half the amount of time it took you to complete the complex. Repeat for the allotted time (ten minutes). Most people will complete 4-6 rounds. Most people watching you will think you're a badass.

...and keep the ego in check with this one...use smaller weights to begin with.

Other small tricks involve
..doing full body workouts
..keep your rest between sets to 30 seconds, so as not to let your heart rate down

good luck

chris91301
9/12/07 1:53:16PM
- eat regular small meals. so dont pig out at all. eat 5 meals a day which are small to keep metabolism going.

- give up your beer addiction

- do a lot of cardio work outs. running / jogging / etc...
Rush
9/12/07 2:12:13PM

Posted by chris91301

- give up your beer addiction

This alone with drinking more water will probably help you lose 10 lbs or more. It's just not the calories in beer, the pop/juice mixed with other spirits, etc. It's also the added stress alcohol puts on your liver.

Your liver produces bile, which not only helps solubilize fats, but it also helps with digestion/absorption in the small intestine. If your liver is busy getting rid of toxins (like alcohol) or is dehydrated (like people get when they drink) it will not function as well. Believe me, it does a lot more than I mentioned here.

Jackelope
9/12/07 4:02:34PM

Posted by dP

Another Great Fat burner is a Complex.....
A complex is a series of movements completed without putting the bar down. Grab a barbell or dumbbells (anywhere from 35-65 total pounds will work great for most people). Walk over to a spot in your gym that gives you a good four feet around. From there you'll perform a series of six movements without stopping or putting the bar down.

Complexes are awesome workouts! Fun, fast paced and high energy. Glad to see someone talking about doing complexes
MattHughes
9/12/07 4:13:54PM
diet will be the most important thing, dont think eating less = losing weight.
loonytnt
9/12/07 4:45:27PM
yeah the biggest thing is give up beer and get on a diet, now this will help a lot and you are going to need too work out to if you wanna less weight faster,and remember you need to stay on your diet, alot of ppl dont see anything happen in two day and swich there diet thats bad lol, give it a month see what you lost and go from there
bayonetxwork
9/12/07 5:43:27PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Everyday

1 mile ( drink water )

10 , 50 yard sprints

Don't eat before you sleep

I hope you're joking. Not eating before you sleep is a terrible thing to do regardless of whether you're trying to gain weight or lose weight.

But what its going to come down to is cardio, dieting, and weight training.

check out www.bodybuilding.com, or www.teenbodybuilding.com and they have tonnssssss of information. but heres a little to sum it up for ya:

calories: 10x205 = about 2100 calories a day
protein: 205 calories a day
carbs: normally you want a 3:1 ratio of carbs:proteins, but that is if you're looking to put on muscle as well, so it might be slightly different if you're just trying to trim up.

obviously eat 5-6 small meals a day, whole wheats, lean beef/chicken/turkey, unprocessed fish, etc.

stay away from red meats, nonorganic foods(anything that has never been living), sugars, etc.

heres a good cardio program that I use:
1-30 sec. burpees
2-30 sec. jab/cross/sprawl
3-30 sec. jump squats
4-30 sec. plyo pushups
5-30 sec. shadow boxing (hands only)
6-30 sec. shadow boxing (punches & kicks)
then repeat however many rounds you can do.

seriously though, checkout the bodybuilding.com sites, they might have an exact replica of a program perfect for you.
casey64
9/12/07 8:38:40PM
weightlifting running i play football constant exercise never stop if you want to shed the pounds.

Why did you get addicted to that stuff anyway man.
T25079
9/12/07 10:16:07PM
i didnt really get addicted to it..i just drank a lot..it was kinda of the kids i hun gout with and the lifestyle i fell into...but besides that, i've read everything everyone has said and it has helped a lot...i really appreciate everything everyone has said.

thanks again.

Tyler