Starting out

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Starting out
GorrillaBouncer
9/2/09 3:39:31PM
Wutsup all, I am new to the game. I am a former Track and field athlete (throwing events) and have been a heavy lifter for the past 10 years...my lifting numbers are up there and I possess explosive power from my track and field training. I am lookking to get into Gracie Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. I am currently 320lbs at 6' and lack flexibility/endurance...anybody have any suggestions on how to prep myself for this type of training...I know the jiu jitsu will really take it out of me because I did a few training sessions with some friends last year and my endurance sucks...any diet suggestions or anything wil help. Thanks
bigbubbano23
9/2/09 4:16:34PM
if your looking to get your cardio up for jiu jitsu, i would suggest short sessions of intense cardio such as suicides or burpees. long distance running will not help you much unless it's up hills or kept at a maximum pace. circuts work well also, you can find many on youtube for grappling. You prolly already know that power will only get you so far in jiu jitsu, it' usually only useful if you are facing an opponent of equal skill.

no partner work outs; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iydZKc_mnn8&feature=PlayList&p=A35D6C9A26ECA930&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=50

STEVE MAXWELL; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6W0mAJB4g&feature=related
postman
9/2/09 6:25:07PM
Take all of the weight off of the barbell and put 10 lbs on each side. Low weight high reps its not so much the power behind you but how long you can make that power last. The crazy thing is it 2 different types of endurance your looking for the Kickboxing your going to need Arobic endurance the ground your going to need muscular endurance. I do alot of low weight weight lifting at high reps and alot of bag and sparring work. Then I hit some type of running/biking/swiming for 30 min.
Nightmare27
9/2/09 10:41:25PM
Honestly I suggest getting as much mat time in as possible. The more you do bjj the more you will learn to relax and control your breathing. Just remembering to breathe is very important as far as grappling endurance goes.
Jackelope
9/2/09 11:21:40PM
You know we could talk different strategies for getting used to it all day long, but honestly the best way is to just get in there and do it. Whether you're road biking, doing BJJ, or power lifting, they all require certain endurance and certain strength. The best way to build endurance for each of those events is to do those actual events.

I'd consider leaning out and gaining more flexibility, but if you get in there and take it seriously you will naturally find yourself on that path.
Joemoplata
9/2/09 11:23:42PM

Posted by Jackelope

You know we could talk different strategies for getting used to it all day long, but honestly the best way is to just get in there and do it. Whether you're road biking, doing BJJ, or power lifting, they all require certain endurance and certain strength. The best way to build endurance for each of those events is to do those actual events.

I'd consider leaning out and gaining more flexibility, but if you get in there and take it seriously you will naturally find yourself on that path.

Bingo. Just go to class and start rolling, you'll love it and your cardio will get better the more you roll because:

a. Your cardio will improve
b. You will learn to be more relaxed while on the mats

You could have the best cardio in the world but if you are tense the whole time you spar you won't last very long.
seanfu
9/3/09 1:42:24AM
Lose the hundred pounds of muscle lol......