Just started training!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Just started training!
gunsnbam
8/10/08 9:20:07PM
Hey everybody, I just started training MMA. In about a week I will be training 4 days a week. From 7-9pm. Currently I am 175lb, and 6'2 but I am not very strong at all. Before I started MMA, I had learned and read a lot about bodybuilding and how to build mass. But now that I am training MMA, my main concern is strength. What is a basic strength training routine I can use at my local gym, a couple hours before my mma clases? and what is the diff, in routines, between mass and strength training?
Svartorm
8/11/08 12:50:32AM
I'd honestly recommend you hold off on the weights for a few months until your body gets used to the rigors of training. Doing 4 days a week is going to be rough in and of itself, and your body is going to need the off time to heal between classes. In a few months, it would be a good idea to work a little weight training on your off days, but I wouldn't do weights the same day if you can help it.
fullerene
8/11/08 8:46:06AM

Posted by Svartorm

I'd honestly recommend you hold off on the weights for a few months until your body gets used to the rigors of training. Doing 4 days a week is going to be rough in and of itself, and your body is going to need the off time to heal between classes. In a few months, it would be a good idea to work a little weight training on your off days, but I wouldn't do weights the same day if you can help it.

Good advice.

Looking ahead a bit a weightlifting routine to compliment MMA vs a bodbuilding type routine should be more focused on exercises that require a more complex muscle chain and more stabilization. For example, a bodybuilder might work seated pulley rows, concentration curls, dumbell shrugs and good morning raises to isolate the lats, biceps, traps and lower back, respectively. I would suggest replacing those with deadlifts and/or pullups which work two or three of those muscles simultaneously over a longer ROM and also require and develop more grip strength and balance.
seanfu
8/12/08 1:03:10AM
Yay, seems to be my specialty. Might or might not work for you. Something I've found is that beyond just doing weights to build hypertrophy, or hella sets (like 20 to 30 reps) for endurence, is doing 10 to 12 reps and giving yourself enough time for your muscles to stop burning as much.

What I mean is where you might give yourself 1 or 2 minutes rest on a workout you would elevate rest time to double. This allows almost no weight gain other than maybe 1 or 2 pounds of base muscle.

I've been bashed by a couple people for suggesting such a despicable and unthinkable thing(mainly Hado3 the god and ruler of all weight lifting) but have found results.

Also like all the above says, give your body time to adjust. I went overboard my junior wrestling year and basically developed some fine tendonitis in every place possible. (exaggerated, but makes a point) Anyway, the workout should give you a ton of strength more for your size. Should give it a good 3 weeks for results and see if you like it.
KillaCoupe
8/12/08 5:13:22PM
build cardio...while you arent lifting...run or swim...you will need it for mma
gunsnbam
8/16/08 11:50:23PM
Thanks, but what is a good exercise routine to go by? One with compound muscle exercises, and where do I find these types of routines? This stuff is kinda hard to find considering im trying NOT to put on size lol
The-Don
8/17/08 4:52:00PM
something to consider is body mass training.. using your own bodyweight for resistence.. it tones and strengthensd with ouot adding massive bulk... I am putting together on paper the rutine I am doing and seems to be working for me. I plan on posting it when I am done
gunsnbam
8/18/08 5:50:56PM
awesome