Starnes vs Leben

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Starnes vs Leben
keith-hackney1
4/13/07 5:32:27PM
Starnes looked good in tuf series, right up till he broke his rib in the fight with grove. Does anybody know if he's kept fighting since the show ?
leben is overated and a ******* prick who i dont believe should be in ufc. I think he's not good enough at the top end of competition, Starnes if in shape could make a name for himself from beating the overated leben.
Any thoughts ??
shawneth
4/13/07 5:39:49PM
Starnes isnt good enough to beat Leben in my opinion. Leben is not overrated either. He has beaten some decent opposition (not world class but decent) and was beating the crap outta Macdonald before getting submitted. IM not saying that he top level competition but he definitly makes for a great Gate Keeper. Potentially could be a great fight.

P.S. Starnes is gonna get schooled on his feet. His only chance is getting this one to the groung which isnt going to be easy.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/13/07 6:09:52PM

Posted by shawneth

Starnes isnt good enough to beat Leben in my opinion. Leben is not overrated either. He has beaten some decent opposition (not world class but decent) and was beating the crap outta Macdonald before getting submitted. IM not saying that he top level competition but he definitly makes for a great Gate Keeper. Potentially could be a great fight.

P.S. Starnes is gonna get schooled on his feet. His only chance is getting this one to the groung which isnt going to be easy.

Starnes has way better hands that Leben..........i think Starnes is a little better in every way.........the only thing is Leben is prolly a little more Mentally tougher.

Starnes Unanimous..

Leben IS overrated.........Macdonald didnt have no stand up,and he couldnt even get him out of there....and as soon as Macdonald got him to the ground he sub'd him 30 sec later........i dont care who you are,if you cant hold your own on the ground for more than a min you're not as good as you think(even though he knew the ground was Macdonalds world.....wouldnt you think he would be more defensive down there?),......watching Leben go to sleep was very satisfying

JoeMimic
4/13/07 6:20:39PM
MacDonald wasn't getting the best of the hands in that fight against Leben and Leben fought off several takedown attempts before Jason finally got him down in the 2nd round. Leben has suffered from a lack of training; he hasn't taken it seriously up until now. According to Lindland ever since that fight with McDonald he's gotten serious and has committed to training for the proper time necessary before a fight. He's young and has tons of room to grow and he has bricks in his hands.

It's a big fight for both guys; I think Leben (Who is back with Team Quest) will come with his takedown defense ready and is going to lay some serious leather on Starnes and put him out.
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/13/07 6:52:12PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Starnes looked good in tuf series, right up till he broke his rib in the fight with grove. Does anybody know if he's kept fighting since the show ?
leben is overated and a ******* prick who i dont believe should be in ufc. I think he's not good enough at the top end of competition, Starnes if in shape could make a name for himself from beating the overated leben.
Any thoughts ??

WAR STARNES!!! I gotta root for my hometown guy. Starnes didnt break his ribs during that fight btw. When yuo break a rib it feels IMPOSSIBLE to breath. He just was in poor cardio shape IMO.
gcraig22
4/13/07 8:05:05PM
Leben sometimes depends on his knockout power too much. But he DOES have Knockout power. If he throws more combinations instead of haymakers he will easily win this fight.
teamquestnorth
4/13/07 8:11:53PM
catsmasher by rib crackage/verbal submission and foot stomps
disorderlyvision
4/13/07 8:32:58PM
i picked stranes, should be a good fight. could go either way i think
Jamie98s
4/13/07 9:27:00PM
I think starnes is gonna dominate this fight, Chris leben is wayyyy overated IMO
JBatch
4/13/07 11:30:55PM
This is a very interesting fight....Leben is basically fighting a carbon copy of Jason MacDOnald...I am Canadian so I want Starnes to win but I am a big Leben fan and not ashamed to admit it...

I would like to see a Leben KO, but a Starnes High Kick KO would be nice as well...It should be a war...
methodman_90
4/14/07 8:23:26AM
Im going with Starnes by unanimous decision. It won't be dominate but I think he can pull it off
garrick
4/14/07 2:16:48PM
I hope Starnes takes it by KO, I agree with Leben being way to overated, I don't like Leben anyways. Starnes also by unanimous desicion.
ksumme
4/14/07 3:25:26PM
I really like Starnes on the show and thought he would be a force, but I don't see him beating Leben. I think the reason is that Starnes hasn't fought the comp the Crippler has and I think he'll be overwhelmed by him.
pharside
4/14/07 5:24:35PM
Its funny before Leben lost to Silva everyone loved him now that he has a couple losses everyone thinks hes overrated. well take a look at the 185 lbers hes training with. They have atleast 5 185 that can beat Starnes. So this fight should be a good fight to get him back on track.
JBatch
4/14/07 8:00:49PM

Posted by pharside

Its funny before Leben lost to Silva everyone loved him now that he has a couple losses everyone thinks hes overrated. well take a look at the 185 lbers hes training with. They have atleast 5 185 that can beat Starnes. So this fight should be a good fight to get him back on track.

In the game of MMA these days you lose once people can handle and give the old he will learn from this and come back. But if you lose twice all your bandwagon is gone and you become horrible. Lets not forget Leben has powerful hands.

One thing that could hurt him in this fight is Starnes is much taller than him and Leben likes to take one on th chin to give one. The reach could screw him but I see this one going to Leben based on heart and desire alone.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/14/07 8:43:10PM

Posted by pharside

i have not liked Leben since TUF dont include me with "everyone".....Lebens only top competition have been Silva,Macdonald,Fioravanti and Cote,and he got KTFO by 1....1 put his ass to sleep,and Cote was a Split decision......im sure Cote has passed him by now and wins a rematch.....Kalib at least went 3 rounds with Okami,and won a round with Grove till he f*cked up his rib(and we know both are beasts)

i just hope to god this fight is broadcast
BerndRealBad
4/16/07 4:26:18AM
Leben also beat Jorge Santiago, who in turn beat a very tough Andrei Semenov just last night at Bodog, and also went the distance with Diego and Joey Villasenor. And I like that statement how his ONLY top competition and you mention four guys. He also defeated Mike Swick, who lasted longer than Starnes did with Okami. So yeah.
FortySixBelow
4/16/07 7:09:01AM
Leben - overrated... till his last two losses.

Now, i think he is sitting where he should. I hopes Starnes wins. That way i don't have to listen to Leben talk about how great he is.

Pyrenus
4/16/07 10:17:43AM
Leben by Unanimous decision.

He's got a good chin. I haven't seen Kalib fight since TUF, so this is a guess more than anything.
Rush
4/16/07 7:56:08PM
I think Leben needs to worry about getting subbed and not so much knocked out.
bayonetxwork
4/16/07 7:57:55PM

Posted by Jamie98s

I think starnes is gonna dominate this fight, Chris leben is wayyyy overated IMO

Agreed. Starnes has the perfect style to cause big problems for Leben. If it goes to the ground, its over. And IMO, it will definitely go there.