STANN VS CANTWELL AT UFC FIGHT FOR THE TROOPS

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » STANN VS CANTWELL AT UFC FIGHT FOR THE TROOPS
MMAcca
9/26/08 3:49:24PM
It didn’t take long for some of the fighters from the soon-to-be-defunct WEC light heavyweight division to make their move to the UFC and none could be happier than former 205-pound champion Brian Stann, who will make his promotional debut in a third fight against Steve Cantwell at the UFC Fight for the Troops show on Dec. 10.

Stann and Cantwell have fought each other twice in the past with each gaining a victory, most recently with Cantwell taking the 205-pound divisional crown away with a TKO win in early August.

The rematch had already been discussed internally at the WEC, and according to Stann, as happy as he was to get another shot at Cantwell, he was a little sad that a week later a fight would take place in front of the military and he wouldn’t be involved.

“They were talking to me about a rematch right after I lost that fight, so I was already excited about that and I thought it was going to be Dec. 3 in Vegas, so I’d be fighting Steve (Cantwell) in his hometown for the third time,” Stann said in an exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com. “It was kind of like a tear in my heart because all of a sudden I was watching Spike TV and watching the Fight Night and they announced this special featuring the Fallen Heroes Fund and it’s going to benefit TBI (traumatic brain injury) patients.

LINK
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/26/08 3:52:36PM
should i assume that winner gets to stay in the UFC & loser does not?

i guess if its really entertaining theyll keep em both
grappler0000
9/26/08 3:56:04PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Even if Stann loses, I don't thing Zuffa is ready to let go of him just yet.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/26/08 3:57:44PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Even if Stann loses, I don't thing Zuffa is ready to let go of him just yet.

i like em both, & hope they both stay

i just kinda figured as stacked as that wieght class is, the ufc ight be a lil more strict on who they keep
MMAcca
9/26/08 4:02:19PM
I think they both need to fight a decent level UFC fighter, just to see where they stand in the division.

Maybe someone like Hamill or Bonnar
nickcuc547
9/26/08 4:15:43PM
both are raw but both are tough and like to throw leather, they have some exciting fights in them even if they don't pan out in the ufc.
Jackelope
9/26/08 4:22:47PM
In their last bout Cantwell showed some striking that would be lower UFC LHW tier striking if you ask me.

Stann, as much as I dig the guy, ehh.....
DevonFoxy
9/26/08 4:30:18PM

Posted by Jackelope

In their last bout Cantwell showed some striking that would be lower UFC LHW tier striking if you ask me.

Exactly......I mean I think its safe to say the UFC is not folding the WEC weight classes in for their LHW's
tberg420
9/26/08 4:43:52PM
It should be interesting to see the 3rd fight between these two. If Stann's skill set doesn't increase then he could be losing again to Cantwell.
gabe531
9/26/08 5:11:55PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by Jackelope

Exactly......I means I think its safe to say the UFC is not folding the WEC weight classes in for their LHW's

stanns cardio will need to improve too. he didnt look to good vs cantwell last time standing (cantwell got the better of him) and he gassed to quick.

ufc/zuffa wont cut him yet because of what he could become if he continues to improve his skill. if he does that then he will be a major face for mma/ufc as the american hero.
Pookie
9/26/08 5:22:57PM
Brian Stann v. Houston Alexander someday down the road will be the main event in a fight night.
I gurantee it
DevonFoxy
9/26/08 5:24:01PM

Posted by gabe531

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by Jackelope

Exactly......I means I think its safe to say the UFC is not folding the WEC weight classes in for their LHW's

stanns cardio will need to improve too. he didnt look to good vs cantwell last time standing (cantwell got the better of him) and he gassed to quick.

ufc/zuffa wont cut him yet because of what he could become if he continues to improve his skill. if he does that then he will be a major face for mma/ufc as the american hero.

He does have the power they like to see but he throws the same thing over....and over again. He's gotta mix it up and just can't go for the knock out. He seems pretty robotic and if that doesn't work for him he really doesn't have anything else. If he could throw some solid kicks in there he would be more successful
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/26/08 7:02:31PM
excellent
sparky
9/26/08 7:41:59PM
Both of these men like to throw the leather so I like to watch them. Having them in the UFC is an awesome idea in my opinion. They are both exciting and have talent. I hope to see them both a couple times in the ufc regardless of who wins the fight.
xtra_chewy
9/26/08 10:34:18PM

Posted by Pookie

Brian Stann v. Houston Alexander someday down the road will be the main event in a fight night.
I gurantee it

That would not surprise me one bit. Or...Stann/some other guy with no JJ.
Wolfenstein
9/27/08 1:35:27AM
I just can't believe these guys are fighting again. I mean I know they've both taken a fight each but how many tyimes are you going to fight the same guy this early in your career. After the last fight it looked like Stann doesn't have the skills to beat Cantwell on the feet outside of a big punch landing.
jgtribbett
9/27/08 8:52:51AM
war CAPT. Stann
jae_1833
9/27/08 2:53:46PM
This fight will probably end the same as the last....they should have Cantwell fight a guy like Eric Schaffer and Stann should fight James Irvin!
MMAcca
9/27/08 2:59:11PM

Posted by Pookie

I gurantee it