Few standup questions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Few standup questions
shs101
5/31/09 6:16:37PM
I just started MT and purchased a heavy bag at my house. Im not sure if these questions sound dum or not but..

I am primarily a counter striker, how would i go on hitting the heavy bag?

Also hand speed, ive heard alot that power and speed in the hands come from genetics. But does anyone know any decents drills or specifc workouts for hand speed.

And does anyone know any ways to improve clinch strength? Alot comes from grip i heard but anyone have ant secrets for a strong mt clinch.

Thanks!!
artofdefense
6/1/09 5:18:31PM

Posted by shs101

I just started MT and purchased a heavy bag at my house. Im not sure if these questions sound dum or not but..

I am primarily a counter striker, how would i go on hitting the heavy bag?

Also hand speed, ive heard alot that power and speed in the hands come from genetics. But does anyone know any decents drills or specifc workouts for hand speed.

And does anyone know any ways to improve clinch strength? Alot comes from grip i heard but anyone have ant secrets for a strong mt clinch.

Thanks!!

Being a counter puncher doesn't really mean much when doing pad work. Just work your combos, and pay special attention to the 1-2.

Hand speed: On the bag and pads, do not try and hit HARD...think of it as a game of tag. Your goal is to get your punch to your target and back into guard position as quickly as possible. Focus as much as you can on speed of the punch and pull back, (straight back, btw, no dipping it) for about 300 punches a day on the bag and you will see a marked improvement within a couple weeks I bet.

Clinch: Don't interlock fingers for starters. Palm the back of his head with your strong hand and grab that hands wrist w/ the other. Crank down on the knec to pop his forehead into your chest and put strain on his neck. Then pinch your elbows.

As far as excercises...squeeze a rubberball, roll a barbell with weight on one side around using your elbows and forearms (be careful, and btw the weight side is up while doing this)
shs101
6/1/09 7:25:17PM
alot of that stupp helped. thanks
s2kmma
6/2/09 1:14:17AM
pivot your back foot
bring your shoulder on your punching arm to your jaw
focus on the speed you bring your hands BACK to your stance
keep the bag at the end of your punches
make sure your tecnique is correct or you will only be hurting your progress
have fun