Standup Kings......

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Standup Kings......
Next Page »
POLL: Who is the king of the standup war
Anderson Silva 40% (17)
Wanderlei Silva 0% (0)
Chuck Liddell 12% (5)
Crocop 47% (20)
Fedor 2% (1)
Sokodujo(probably spelled wrong) 0% (0)
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 4:22:07PM
I have posted one of these about wrestling and i have had many people respond on it.so it got me thinking i wonder who people think has the best all around stand up game in mma.
fedorwins1
8/22/07 4:23:14PM
CC with Anderson in second, CC could hang in K1 and I don't think Anderson would be able to.
peachfuzzz1305
8/22/07 4:24:08PM
CC

But where is Shougun
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 4:25:22PM

Posted by fedorwins1

CC with Anderson in second, CC could hang in K1 and I don't think Anderson would be able to.

Yeah i just picked Anderson because his style is so crazy he can kick,punch,knee,elbow in so many awkward ways.He is kind of like chuck liddell.......really unorthodoxed but faster and way more efefctive.
cowcatcher
8/22/07 4:26:22PM
gotta be CC for me, but anderson seems to be coming into his own and might be the next best thing.
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 4:26:35PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

CC

But where is Shougun

Man i tell you what i was thinking shogun too but i would of had to take soko off and i believe he would outstrike shogun.
richieb19
8/22/07 4:27:01PM
No love for Yuki Kondo or Amar Suloev?
peachfuzzz1305
8/22/07 4:28:56PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

CC

But where is Shougun

Man i tell you what i was thinking shogun too but i would of had to take soko off and i believe he would outstrike shogun.

jus take Fedor off

he is more of a ground guy
DMcCabe11
8/22/07 4:30:31PM
i have to go with Cro Cop but i do love Andersons stand up and it was very hard to choose
peachfuzzz1305
8/22/07 4:32:53PM
Hey and Tommy you could have put Gilbert Yvel and Chris Horideski

You should also follow this up with the kings of the ground game
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 4:38:31PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Hey and Tommy you could have put Gilbert Yvel and Chris Horideski

You should also follow this up with the kings of the ground game

I have the wrestling domination which is kind of the same but your right ill do that after this one is up for a little while.
juanez13
8/22/07 4:46:11PM
Cro cop for sure, most ppl think that soko is a great stiker but thats not complete'y true, he mostly does ground work (judo)......

after cro cop i would go with anderson silva, having said that i dont think any of the fighter you mentioned could hang with top competiton in K-1 except for mirko....thats why i chose him....wanderlei silva, shogun,fedor striking is too sloppy and they wouldnt make it far in k-1
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 4:52:23PM
I find it hilarious how chuck liddell is so known as the best standup fighter to all the people who dont watch much mma,but all of us knowledgeable(if thats a word...haha) fans expose him and speak the truth.
Mastodon2
8/22/07 4:57:03PM
Cro Cop hands down. Even if the other guys on the list had the size to fight him, he'd win the stand up every time, even if his closest trainers believe that his stand up skills have diminished by as much as "50%" since he started MMA. Even with that skill depletion, he is still the most dangerous and effective striker in MMA, and if we look at each Striker on the list in his Prime, Cro Cop when he was in his K-1 Prime (99-02ish, a form I will refer to as "Cro Cop 2000") he was unstoppable.

Cro Cop > Any striker in MMA. P4P he is still the best imo.

Cro Cop 2000 > Any striker in MMA and most of K-1.
mrsmiley
8/22/07 5:09:10PM
I think CC has consistantly had the best standup,but I love watching Wanderlei fight.Even in his rematch with Crocop he still swung for the fences and went out like a true warrior.Sorry to all the Liddell fans,but I hope Silva does some serious mud hole stomping if him and the iceman get to trade punches!
gamez0932
8/22/07 5:34:42PM
I would have to say Anderson Silva,he is fast and comes at every angle.
Pitbull09
8/22/07 6:03:18PM
CC, though Anderson Silva is a close second.
gamez0932
8/22/07 6:07:00PM
this is tighter then i though,and who the hell picked lidell???
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 6:07:20PM

Posted by gamez0932

this is tighter then i though,and who the hell picked lidell???

cmill21
8/22/07 6:26:05PM
Mirko #1 hands down, anderson in second hands down. Be ready to see Mirko closer to his K-1 prowess, Ivan Hippolyte is the man.
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 6:27:19PM
really im sorry but mirko didnt impress me against fedor at all.fedor whooped the shit out of him.
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 6:28:45PM
crocop is good but i was thinking anderson is better
gamez0932
8/22/07 6:30:11PM
What about andrei he is good too
cmill21
8/22/07 6:48:23PM
Anderson hasn't competed and succeeded in K-1. Everyone has off nights, still the best striker in mma.
Branwest
8/22/07 6:51:35PM
Best kicks: CroCop
Best punches: Liddell
Best overall standup: Anderson and Shogun......
Anderson and Shogun combine great kicks, punches, knees, elbows(for Anderson and now for Shogun since he came to the UFC). They both have a great all-around stand-up game.......
Best overall game standing and on the canvass: Fedor, Shogun, and GSP. They combine all aspects of the game better than anyone. They are the best all-around fighters period, IMO......
There are plenty of fighters w/just good standup, such as "Lil' CroCop".....Hell, Kongo's standup is good, but CroCop(not lil') will take him out.......
Mastodon2
8/22/07 6:53:48PM
Anderson has a great Muay Thai style, but he simply isnt as crisp, accurate and devastatingly powerful as Cro Cop is (and that is taking into account the massive weight difference).

Gomi has really good hands, about as good as they get at lightweight. If Diaz wasnt doped up in his fight with Gomi, he would have tapped out due to pain, we saw what a broken orbital socket did to Sapp!

I already said in another thread ("Could Fedor succeed in K-1" or whatever it was called) that Fedor is a very good MMA striker, he uses massive single shots, with massive hip torque and arm twist to cause massive damage. He throws with a whipping loose arm, like his hand is a lump of concrete on a chain, then tense on impact for really hard shots. He'd get killed in K-1, but in MMA its a very effective style.
EBG
8/22/07 8:12:43PM
Without a doubt Cro Cop has the by far the best stand up in active MMA competition. End of story. This thread title should be "Standup Kings.... not named Mirko".

So besides Cro Cop, I'd say Anderson Silva. Pin point accuracy, devastating power, iron clad thai clinch.

I have to give an honorable mention to Igor Vovchanchyn. He used to pick guys apart with vicious combos. Which is impressive given his stature; short, stocky, small limbs. And he was usually fighting guys with a much greater striking range advantage too. If only Igor was blessed with height and reach.
fullerene
8/22/07 8:29:24PM
I voted Cro-Cop and I think he's a valid choice no matter who's on that list, but a few other names that I think deserve consideration:
* Semmy Schilt (Reigning repeat K-1 champ--if you still consider him part of the MMA scene, he shold be #1)
* Mark Hunt (former K-1 champ)
* Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer, Jeremy Williams (might not stick with MMA, but all former HW boxing contenders)
* Nishijima (former borderline boxing contender, outboxed Hunt IMO)
* Rob McCullough (don't know what his actual pedigree is, but his MT seems sharper than almost anyone else, a p4p candidate)
* Kit Cope (same as above)
* Kid Yamamoto (at his weight I don't think anyone in MMA wants to stand with him. Didn't even get blown out against the larger K-1 max champ)

I'm sure I'm missing a few other lighter guys.
Gladiator
8/22/07 9:58:00PM
gotta go with cro cop for being the best striker but anderson silva has a more complete game with elbows and knees, which he puts together very nicely. IMO its close between those two.
kimoron
8/22/07 11:58:59PM
have to go with andy on this one. hes more dangerous all around then any of the guys on the list and he's never been ko'd in his mma career.
Pages: [1] 2