standup defence

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » standup defence
jakeovgy
6/14/07 7:00:52AM
can anybody give me a link for standup defence moves, such as how to block jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts and kicks,
i do sparring twice a week and i get caught with a lot of stuff going in, i dont know if its because i dont do feints but i get caught, even when i keep me hand up wen throwing the punch.

so any help on defence, any vids, pics?

thanx in advance
MisFiT
6/14/07 7:05:23AM
Penn's book has alot in it. I can get you that if you want.
jakeovgy
6/14/07 7:07:25AM
yes please, would love any help
MisFiT
6/14/07 7:10:56AM
Aight hooked you up.
jakeovgy
6/14/07 7:13:10AM
thanks a bunch
bayonetxwork
6/14/07 8:42:43AM

Posted by jakeovgy

can anybody give me a link for standup defence moves, such as how to block jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts and kicks,
i do sparring twice a week and i get caught with a lot of stuff going in, i dont know if its because i dont do feints but i get caught, even when i keep me hand up wen throwing the punch.

so any help on defence, any vids, pics?

thanx in advance

You have to learn how to cover up correctly, and my guess on why you keep getting caught, is because your doing exactly what your saying, just going in. You have to mix up angles, levels, head movement, basically just get your footwork better, two guys that I think you should take a look at are Rich Franklin, because he really does know how to work angles. And Rampage, IMO he has the best defense on the feet in all of the game. I don't really think any video or pictures can teach you this, its basically just experience on how angles work, because you could be the best striker in the world, if you come straight in on a guy, your most likely gonna get caught.

When I spar, I like to parry jabs, and uppercuts, or try to slip them. Kicks and hooks come from the side, so you should grab the back of your head with whatever hand/arm you're blocking with, keep both your chin, and elbow tucked to your body. Crosses can be tricky depending upon the angle they come at, which is exactly why I recommend you working on footwork. If it comes straight down the middle, you can pretty much do anything, slip, parry, or actually block by grabbing the middle part of your head with your hands. However, take into consideration that this doesn't work as well in MMA because the gloves are smaller(ortiz vs. liddell 1), and make sure after they fire a cross and start to enter your guard, make sure you fire back so they can't tee off on you.

Hope it helps, but just watch more stand up footage, and that can show you what to do better than I can tell you what to do via keyboard haha.
jakeovgy
6/14/07 10:00:27AM
thank you for the tip, gonna go watch some franklin fights and just watch his feet, cheers
fedorwins1
6/14/07 12:56:01PM
footwork is #1 defence