squats

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » squats
scoozna
10/9/09 11:37:59PM
Started doing back squats about 5 weeks ago, 2x a week. As the weight gets heavier, I'm feeling soreness in my groin only on the right side. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong from that symptom?
RyanC
10/9/09 11:44:20PM
This is just a guess, but I'm guessing you're favoring that side slightly when you lift. I'm having some minor issues with a knee right now from doing squats, and I'm pretty sure it's because I have a tendency to favor my left side slightly.
scoozna
10/10/09 1:49:17PM
That's a suspicion of mine too. It makes sense as it is only on one side and didn't start until I started pushing myself with the weight.
RyanC
10/10/09 4:42:45PM

Posted by scoozna

That's a suspicion of mine too. It makes sense as it is only on one side and didn't start until I started pushing myself with the weight.

My soar knee showed up the same way. I was pushing myself and developed a soar knee. I basically just quit doing anything that stressed my knees for a few days, and it's been feeling better. Even with 3 hours of BJJ, and 1 of standup the last two days the lack of weight lifting has eased the tension on my knee and it feels good. I'd say maybe leave the legs alone in your weight lifting for a couple days or so and see what happens.

Rush
10/10/09 10:25:53PM
Just another guess, but your legs may be misaligned. This happened to me before and it caused a chronic nerve pinch in my ass. I am sure it could have other effects depending on where you are out of line.

You could try a simple checkk. Lay down flat on a floor or mat in such a way that you feel relaxed and balanced. Get someone so see if one of your legs looks longer than the other.

I tried cranial sacral therapy for my problem and it worked amazing, unlike the 400$ I dropped on physio, which did nothing.
scoozna
10/11/09 5:54:12PM
Thanks for the suggestion too, Rush, I'll have to check my legs, I would never have thought of that. "Cranial sacral therapy" sounds scary.
Rush
10/11/09 7:50:01PM

Posted by scoozna

Thanks for the suggestion too, Rush, I'll have to check my legs, I would never have thought of that. "Cranial sacral therapy" sounds scary.

lol, actually it is the complete opposite almost to the point where it seems hokey, but in my experience it totally works.

In a nut shell cranial sacral therapy is about realigning the body through the spine using very very gentle touching to relax certain tense muscles. It's kind of like the opposite of active release technique.
madmarck
10/25/09 6:21:02PM

Posted by Rush

Just another guess, but your legs may be misaligned. This happened to me before and it caused a chronic nerve pinch in my ass. I am sure it could have other effects depending on where you are out of line.

You could try a simple checkk. Lay down flat on a floor or mat in such a way that you feel relaxed and balanced. Get someone so see if one of your legs looks longer than the other.

I tried cranial sacral therapy for my problem and it worked amazing, unlike the 400$ I dropped on physio, which did nothing.

I had this too except my pelvis is misaligned so one foot is always a little longer.
Have to go to the chriporacter every now and then to get it popped back into place.