UFC 87 Spotlight: Demian Maia

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 87 Spotlight: Demian Maia
MMAcca
8/9/08 8:13:29AM
UFC 87 will take place this Saturday and as we all know will feature three gigantic bouts as headliners. GSP vs. Fitch, Lesnar vs. Herring and Florian vs. Huerta could all very well headline a UFC event on their own merit.

Enough has already been said about those six combatants however and instead of going all "boring archaeologist" on you and covering old ground (take that Mauro Ranallo!) I will instead focus on one of the other fights that will be seen on Saturday's pay-per-view. The bout I am talking about is the middleweight contest between Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald and Demian Maia.

I am very much looking forward to this bout as I believe that Maia has the most potential out of all the UFC middleweights to topple the scariest dude on the planet, Anderson Silva.

I say that because Maia is one of the finest pure grapplers in the world and I don't mean that like Mike Goldberg means it when he says, "he's one of the best in the world, Joe." I mean that for reals. In 2007, he won the 77kg - 87kg weight division at the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship. He has also defeated other notable high profile grapplers in the form of Ronaldo De Souza, fellow UFC middleweight Yushin Okami and former UFC heavyweight title challenger, Gabriel Gonzaga.

LINK
JimiMak
8/9/08 11:49:04AM
I'm looking forward to Maia as well. He should take a major step up in the general public's view after this fight.
Khaos
8/9/08 3:25:35PM
I'm really excited for this fight, personally I'm a MacDonald fan, but Maia has sick submissions, so I'd even enjoy him submiting MacDonald.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/9/08 7:36:43PM
Macdonald second rd tko
ncordless
8/11/08 12:24:03AM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Macdonald second rd tko

Come again?