EA sports MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » EA sports MMA
mrsmiley
12/29/09 6:48:07PM
I figures since we have a thread for Undisputed,perhaps we could sticky a thread for EA's upcoming MMA game?

The facts so far:

The fighters:

Cung Le
Fedor
Brett Rogers
Gilbert Melendez
Ronaldo Souza
Robbie Lawler
Matt Lindland
Scott Smith
Josh Thomson
Nick Thompson
Jake Shields
Frank Shamrock
Couture
King Mo
Babalou
Mousasi
Jay Hieron
Jason Miller

Recently confirmed or screen shots shown of:

Jeff Monson,Vladmire Matsyushinko, Shinya Aoki, Hideko Yoshida.

Bas Rutten, Andrea Arloski and Big TImmy have said they are in the game as well despite not being on the official website yet.

Not a bad roster though it needs to be polished up.
Recently, it has been stated the game will probably get released around November 2010 and that EA plans to incoperate the "global" aspect of the sport.

cloud301336
12/29/09 7:48:00PM
its funny Dana said anyone that's in EA sports MMA i.e. "Vladmire Matsyushinko"
wouldn't be allowed to be in any of the UFC games, but he's gonna be one of the new fighters also in UFC 2010
MiniMan
12/29/09 8:45:47PM
I still cant see this game being that great, Maybe the gameplay will be there, But that roster blows imo, Break that down into weight classes and you will get bored very quickly! UFC 2009 had tonnes of fighters, But in each weight class there kinda wasnt enough after a couple days!

I am excited to play this, Will rent it though. Just UFC 2010 already has my money it just doesnt know it yet!!

For EA to have a great game, Needs the UFC on board...

Oh oh, I hope I can play as Jason Guida!!!!!!
ThaAxeMurderer7
12/29/09 9:00:39PM
Great idea for a thread

It looks as if Shinya Aoki and Hidehiko Yoshida are now confirmed for the game.

Link

EDIT: I just saw at the end of your post you put them there.
TimW001
12/29/09 11:45:12PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Great idea for a thread

It looks as if Shinya Aoki and Hidehiko Yoshida are now confirmed for the game.

Link

EDIT: I just saw at the end of your post you put them there.

Fantastic!
cmill21
12/30/09 1:37:35AM
I expect the game play to be much better, if it's not I will be pissed since the UFC game had a ton of bugs and IMHO it blew. The roster is lacking but it's alot like the UFC's game with top loaded and a weak middle and end of the roster. Will Randy be in this game?
Pookie
12/30/09 2:17:58AM
Open weight fights would lead to countless match-ups
mrsmiley
12/30/09 11:10:33AM

Posted by MiniMan

I still cant see this game being that great, Maybe the gameplay will be there, But that roster blows imo, Break that down into weight classes and you will get bored very quickly! UFC 2009 had tonnes of fighters, But in each weight class there kinda wasnt enough after a couple days!

I am excited to play this, Will rent it though. Just UFC 2010 already has my money it just doesnt know it yet!!

For EA to have a great game, Needs the UFC on board...

Oh oh, I hope I can play as Jason Guida!!!!!!

I don't think it nessacerly needs the UFC to have a great game.
Maybe for an amazing roster it does. But if EA is planning to add a "global" aspect to the game,then I doubt the UFC would ever join since the rumors are DREAM and Sengoku will be in this game as well as Strikeforce.
It's hard telling how well the game will fair without the UFC's involvement but hopefully any lack of UFC fighters will be supplemented with a great create a fighter mode.
Breaking this into weight classes could potentialy lead to not enough fights but we also have to keep this in mind:

1. The game has still praticly got a year until ship date.
That's plenty of time to add more fighters to roster.

2. This game will probably incoperate open weight fights much like the fight night games have. Meaning players could mix match some very interesting fights.

I'm wondering since Yoshida is now in the game if he will be wearing the Gi?

Here's a few things I think the EA's MMA needs to topple the Undisputed franchise:

1. A better submission system
In undisputed I believe the grappling and posistion changes were good but I felt this all went out the window with the submission scheme.
Randomly rotating the joystick seemed like a let down to me. Instead I think EA should work on the actual physics of the submission your trying to pull off.

Example: I got mount on my opponent and get his arm.
When I begin to apply the armbar,instead of randomly mash the stick, I beleive it would be much better to lets say "push in" the joystick and then flick it up to simulate applying pressure and direction.

By pushing the joystick this simulates applying the pressure. and by pushing up on the stick this simulates pulling up on the oppenents elbow while applying the armbar.
Likewise the opponent would apply simuliar pressure and direction to escape it.

2.Diversity. EA already has planned to make this game global and if they live up to what they have said we will get to fight in a ring under Japanese rules as well. This means Knees to the head and possibly a different judging criteria. This isn't something they said with 100% certainty,but they have said their working for this. i think this is a must to make this game succseed with "global" appeal.

3. A huge roster. They may not get the all or any of the UFC elite,but they do have Randy and I'm sure they'll get Hendo as well. Their goal should be to pretty much get everyone not in the UFC into this game.
This won't be possible with a first installment but by the second or third game the roster could be enormous.
fonduktoe
1/3/10 11:29:33PM
i read recently that the game will utilize the right analog stick for strikes much like the latest fight night.
imo this blows as it is very unresponsive and completely ruined fight night for me.
hopefully they incorporate different control schemes (they had to patch fight night 4 in this way due to the amount of complaints)
if they try and hardline a analog stick only striking scheme than they've lost me as a customer
mrsmiley
4/28/10 8:29:58AM
Just thought I would update the original thread for this game and quip in a couple of thoughts.

The official roster so far:

Josh Barnett /Fedor/Brett Rogers/bobby Lashsley/Heideko yoshida/Randy Couture/Dan Henderson/Melvin Manhoef/Mayhem Miller/King Mo/Mousasi/Nick Diaz/Tyron Woodley/Frank Shamrock/Joe Riggs/Tim Kennedy/Marius Zaromski/Shinay Aoki/Gilbert Melendez/Cung Le/Robbie Lawler/Scott Smith/Ronaldo Souza/Matt Lindland/Jake Shields/ Josh Thomson/Nick Thompson/Renato Sobral/Jay Hieron/Joachim Hansen/ Vladmir Matsushyenko/Luke Rockhold.
EA has said by release date their will be over 70 fighters and maybe released in October.

I think the more I read between EA's game and Undisputed 2010,the more I realize that neither game will be better than the other. They will simply offer the player different experinces within the field of mixed martial arts. Granted EA's controller scheme is yet to be seen,so me stating that may be a bit premature,still, upon seeing the trailers for both games I think we get a taste of that.
2 things I noticed in the EA trailers that get very excited for this game.
1.The clinch fighting. From what little pan flashes of the clinch fighting we've gotten it seems to have truley embodied everything the clinch game should be. Though it's their in Undisputed,it seems to almost be an afterthought. In EA's game it looks like full out Muay Thai wars will be apparent.
2.I noticed in one preview how subtley one character checks a leg kick and it was so natural looking I didn't pay attention until about the third time I watched trailer. That was great

We now know EA is going with a global aspect to this game and as I have posted before I feel this will be a key to making it sucseed. We get to fight in Brazil,Japan,America,and probably a few other places.
I personally can't wait to see how the judging and refering differs between the countries and am bursting to find how fight pan out differenlty between the ring and the cage.
MisterFreeze
4/28/10 11:33:48AM
This game looks like ****.
They kept showing previews of it during the last Strikeforce event and to me the game looks horrible. The graphics were slow and choppy, and the punches didn't even look like they connected with the fighters.

Stick with UFC Undisputed, it's gonna be a much better game.
mrsmiley
4/28/10 8:29:14PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

This game looks like ****.
They kept showing previews of it during the last Strikeforce event and to me the game looks horrible. The graphics were slow and choppy, and the punches didn't even look like they connected with the fighters.

Stick with UFC Undisputed, it's gonna be a much better game.

i thought the same thing when I first watched the previews but each time I watch them I realize how much is really going on and how great this game could end up being.
I think Undisputed 10 will be great but as a fan I can't limit myself to just one of them. I have to play both.