Sport Science: Georges St. Pierre's Punching Power - 2859 Lbs of Force

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Sport Science: Georges St. Pierre's Punching Power - 2859 Lbs of Force
Budgellism
4/29/11 10:41:42AM
UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre makes the trek to the Sport Science lab to see if he has what it takes to beat Jake Shields in the Octagon. St. Pierre showed off his stamina and punches to ESPN Sport Science's John Brenkus where he tested St. Pierre's power and speed.

LINK

The thing to take away from this article is this.

"To compare: Cain Velasquez's punch is 2230 lbs of force, Rampage Jackson's punch is 1800 lbs of force and Shogun Rua's kick is 2749 lbs of force. "

Sorry Shields, gsp isn't going to lose this fight.
kingsmasher
4/29/11 10:57:12AM
That show I would bet is produced by the UFC...lol or theyre paying someone off....
Hendo67
4/29/11 11:10:41AM
Wow, if that's indeed correct... why doesn't he use it?
Budgellism
4/29/11 11:51:28AM
He's been saying he's really working on his power and explosiveness in this fight. I have a good feeling Shields is getting stopped.
SmileR
4/29/11 11:53:42AM
GSP is in fact superhuman!
I that means GSP can hit harder than a prime Mike Tyson and kick harder than Shogun!
Styles
4/29/11 11:58:22AM
Obviously Sport Science is rigged, this just proves it. GSP punches harder then Rampage and Cain? His punch power is more then Rua's kick? Yet when is the last time this guy actually knocked someone out clean? His kick was measured at 3477lbs?

IDK, if I had to choose either getting punched by Rampage, Cain or GPS, I would certainly chose GSP.... if I had to choose getting kicked by either GSP or Rua.... again I would chose GSP. These numbers look pretty fabricated to me to be honest.

"To compare: Cain Velasquez's punch is 2230 lbs of force, Rampage Jackson's punch is 1800 lbs of force and Shogun Rua's kick is 2749 lbs of force. "

SmileR
4/29/11 1:12:38PM
People are pretty quick to dismiss GSP on this! I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe until its proved the results where flawed.

GSP is a super athlete and I honestly believe he possesses the skills needed to generate that amount of power.
emfleek
4/29/11 2:27:48PM
Pookie
4/29/11 4:15:27PM
Yeah shenanigans

Edit- Gsp is the only guy to get their hit on the bag measured with gloves on. Everyone else was bare fist. I wonder how much of a difference that made, since his combo, with no gloves, did 6000 damage with 2 punches and a kick. According to Gsp's single hit numbers, it should have been over 9000(unintentional)
jjeans
4/29/11 5:11:24PM
I've been a big fan of Sport science, untill now... something about all this doesn't add up... There is no way GSP is stronger than Velasquez?
Pskinner_mma314
4/29/11 5:49:06PM
i have a theory, doesn't make it right but i'm just gonna put it on the table.

in regards to his punches having more force than a HW, isn't a small object moving faster going to do alot more damge than a big object moving slower?

not saying that this makes sportscience credible, like i said, just throwin it out there
Pookie
4/29/11 6:17:16PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

i have a theory, doesn't make it right but i'm just gonna put it on the table.

in regards to his punches having more force than a HW, isn't a small object moving faster going to do alot more damge than a big object moving slower?

not saying that this makes sportscience credible, like i said, just throwin it out there

Theres a point where either can supercede the other.
Taylor8766
4/29/11 9:19:13PM
Wow just proves how amazing GSP is right now, hes in the prime of his career and to be honest I really dont think hes going to lose for a long time to come. That kinda speed, power, and talent mixed together makes for one very dangerous individual, and is one of the reasons that I have always said that he is bar none the best P4P fighter in the world.

Props
Budgellism
4/29/11 9:20:10PM
I'm also thinking speed had a big thing to do with it.
warglory
4/30/11 2:06:55PM

Posted by Styles

Obviously Sport Science is rigged, this just proves it. GSP punches harder then Rampage and Cain? His punch power is more then Rua's kick? Yet when is the last time this guy actually knocked someone out clean? His kick was measured at 3477lbs?

IDK, if I had to choose either getting punched by Rampage, Cain or GPS, I would certainly chose GSP.... if I had to choose getting kicked by either GSP or Rua.... again I would chose GSP. These numbers look pretty fabricated to me to be honest.

CroCop has incredible kicking power, but when was the last time he won a fight via kicks? I don't remember Shogun's kicks making all that bit a difference against Jones, or Rampage's punching power against Griffin's kicks.

GSP is a legit striker, but he chooses to employ strategy over blatant use of force.
Aether
4/30/11 5:33:43PM
It seems like a strange result, but it's important to realize that hitting a bag in a lab is a lot different than hitting another professional fighter who will roll with your punches, move around, etc. GSP having a harder measured punch than someone like Velasquez doesn't really mean anything relative to their ability to knock people out in an actual fight.
cmill21
5/1/11 8:33:00PM
I don't really believe it because with that amount of force the chances of him breaking his hand have to be close to 100%. Equal and opposite reaction anyone? That means close to that same amount of force on those tiny bones in his hand.