"The Sport Has Finally Arrived"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » "The Sport Has Finally Arrived"
zephead
5/31/07 5:03:35PM
Mixed martial arts, particularly the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has seen a surge in popularity in the last couple of years powered by the Spike TV reality show ‘The Ultimate Fighter.’

LINK
CincySaint
5/31/07 5:12:09PM
Great Article, and I am so happy that MMA has finally reached the masses. I agree that Rampage/Chuck was a huge event for MMA and the UFC. I wonder if the not so stacked UFC 72 card will cause a drop in the wide spread following of the UFC? I guess with such a stacked 73 it won't matter too much. I think 73 will get more buys than 71 did.
Aether
5/31/07 6:18:15PM
72 isn't honestly THAT bad... Okami vs franklin and guida vs griffin should both be entertaining fights, and there's almost always one or two fights that people expect to be boring which end up being entertaining... I'll be watching it like every other card they put out, even if it doesn't look sensational on paper.
Aether
5/31/07 6:24:56PM
I also kind of doubt that 73 will sell better than 71... 73 is an amazing card but to me it seems kind of like an MMA lover's card. Most people have no idea who big nog is, sherk, franca, and marquardt are all pretty unknown to the casual viewer as well... the lightweights really don't get much attention at all. Most of the fights that make this card seem so amazing to MMA fans are probably leaving question marks in the casual viewer's heads.

Although I'm sure it will still do well mainly as a result of the tito/evans matchup and anderson silva who is starting to become pretty mainstream. Bonnar's return will probably help too.