UFC is NOT a sport

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC is NOT a sport
hunterlcs92
2/24/08 10:51:42AM
Why do people refer to UFC as a sport. It's not. It's an organization. The sport is Mixed Martial Arts. My friend was talking to em the other day sayign I have a UFC fight nex tweek. I thought, "What!? Dana White signed you?" He says, no it's a street fight but were using UFC rules."

UFC is a company people. It's what WWE is to pro wrestling.

Please post your rant on the topic.
juanez13
2/24/08 11:12:07AM
this is the best case scenario for the UFC, when their brand (not the sport) becomes a house hold name, they are trying to do what Kleenex has done, all the time you hear people saying "can you pass me a Kleenex", when really they are asking if they can have a tissue, they become so popular, that the brand has taken the place of the product, and thats exactly what the UFC is trying to do. It use to bother me, but the people that are saying that are the casual fans, but once they get more into it, they'll realize there is more to the sport than just the UFC. It'll take some time until the sport really breaks into main stream.
tuvok500
2/24/08 11:16:53AM
Very good news for the UFC !!

Dana is the man !!

You have train in UFC now !!

npayant
2/24/08 11:17:00AM

Posted by juanez13

this is the best case scenario for the UFC, when their brand (not the sport) becomes a house hold name, they are trying to do what Kleenex has done, all the time you hear people saying "can you pass me a Kleenex", when really they are asking if they can have a tissue, they become so popular, that the brand has taken the place of the product, and thats exactly what the UFC is trying to do. It use to bother me, but the people that are saying that are the casual fans, but once they get more into it, they'll realize there is more to the sport than just the UFC. It'll take some time until the sport really breaks into main stream.

Perfect analogy!

But still...saying you "have a UFC fight next week" is pretty ridiculous.
rabbit915
2/24/08 11:17:15AM
I went to an event last night and i had to explain to like 30 people where i was going and towards the end of it i just called it ultimate fighting because i was sick of explaining that it wasnt a karate competition.
Gipper
2/24/08 11:21:43AM
wwe shouldn't be in the same sentence as the ufc or mma.

dude the casual mma fan only really watches the ufc. most of my buddies haven't even seen a mma fight outside the ufc. when people in north america think of hockey they think the nhl, football-nfl, baseball-mlb. ufc is obviously the big leagues in mma in north america and now the world. instead if ranting about it start educating people on it.
CactusBob
2/24/08 11:28:31AM
What do you mean "Street Fighting"? Is that anything like "idiot juvenile illegal backalley brawling"?
ohiostate1016
2/24/08 12:06:20PM

Posted by Gipper

dude the casual mma fan only really watches the ufc. most of my buddies haven't even seen a mma fight outside the ufc. when people in north america think of hockey they think the nhl, football-nfl, baseball-mlb. ufc is obviously the big leagues in mma in north america and now the world. instead if ranting about it start educating people on it.

PRIDE homer! I like!
Kpro
2/24/08 12:29:01PM
I've been training in UFC for a few years now so that I can get signed by the MMA.
fullerene
2/24/08 12:34:01PM
IN related news "cage fighting" just means your're having an MMA fight in a cage, not that you're doing a completely different sport.
LayinFrame
2/24/08 12:47:55PM

Posted by Kpro

I've been training in UFC for a few years now so that I can get signed by the MMA.

ahahahha
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/24/08 1:20:23PM
boxing is made of organizations
nfl,mlb,nba, ncaa....by definition are all organizations....just ran differently based on the rules of the SPORT's orgs or associations

**** even fishing is considered a sport

hotrodttt
2/24/08 3:57:53PM
Here's an explanation from a good friend, this is for the newer fans and it's actually a good video.

Link
BlazinSaddle
2/24/08 4:13:17PM

Posted by hunterlcs92

Why do people refer to UFC as a sport. It's not. It's an organization. The sport is Mixed Martial Arts. My friend was talking to em the other day sayign I have a UFC fight nex tweek. I thought, "What!? Dana White signed you?" He says, no it's a street fight but were using UFC rules."

UFC is a company people. It's what WWE is to pro wrestling.

Please post your rant on the topic.

Who really cares what a bunch of dumb kids do or what they call it, obviously they are not trained athletes, this stupid movie "never back down" is gonna get MMA and alot of idiots in trouble IMO, teaching people that its okay to seek out MMA for revenge i mean come on

As for the UFC, if they dont know that the UFC isnt the only organization out there they shouldnt be rough-housing in the first place and need to get a wake up call, this is a sport not to be tried at home, and dont be using the WWF thats a horrible example, theres actual pro wrestling like real wrestling out there and thats an insult to wrestling, the UFC has single handedly brought back MMA and make it marketable and even made it sort of mainstream

To be frank...you probably need new friends if there that stupid to call it "UFC Fight Night" i bet they probably think the "never back down" movie will be the best movie ever, then get drunk, and picked fights with people
Silent-Sir
2/24/08 6:09:52PM
Co-worker 1: We're going to (insert name of bar) to watch the fights this weekend.
Co-worker 2: I didn't know they were having boxing this weekend.
Co-worker 1: They're not. They're having Ultimate Fighting.

Me: AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! It's called Mixed Martial Arts people!!!! Get it right!!

Sorry. It's a little thing but it bugs the hell out of me.
ufcboss
2/24/08 7:23:07PM
It is like that because heaps of people know about the UFC, but nothing else.

puppetmaster837
2/24/08 7:55:26PM
I used to know kids who actually said "I will UFC your ass" and they had a couple fights that they called UFC fighting because they had 4 oz gloves on.
Rush
2/24/08 8:12:03PM
This is a real problem for the sport IMO. If sports writers cannot reference the sport by its proper name, it doesn't contribute to making the sport look serious/legit.

I've sent in a couple letters to editors/sports writers that refer to MMA as "Ultimate fighting". It

1) doesn't help release MMA from the spectacle stigma (i.e. "human cockfighting")

2) Related to 1) it does not sound professional or even sport like.

3) Ultimate fighting is a proprietary term, not a sport. IMO, the preceding word "ultimate" discredits the sport IMO and fighting is a term that is not synonymous with sports, at least in the formal sense.

4) It gives the impression that MMA is only the UFC and gives the (false) idea that it isn't widespread. It would be like referring to all hockey leagues/games around the world as "NHL" games.

I think the UFC is at a crossroads right now. I'm sure they love the free advertising (i.e. ultimate fighting), but they need to suck it up and start correcting people. The sport will not attain true sport status being called "Ultimate fighting" or "cage fighting"
Tein_Lung
2/24/08 8:29:24PM
its typical stupid people crap... just get over it people as a whole are fliping retarded... and i would also bet 6 out of 10 pro wrestling fans that that crap is real
Pitbull09
2/24/08 10:03:09PM
My friends do that so much now that I dont even bother to correct it anymore. Even like when they hit a friend in the arm, someone has to say "UFC is happening right now!"

The only time it pisses me off now is when its in the news and they report it as they show clips of the bloodiest fights as if they are what you regularly see in the sport. Most reporters on TV now are so stupid on the issues they report in that it makes me wonder who is behind the stories.
postman
2/25/08 1:04:01AM

Posted by Gipper

Yeah but no one says they are going to play NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA. His problem is that the guy said he was going to be in a UFC fight. If your buddy said hey man were going to play in a nba game what would you say.
gsquat
2/25/08 11:04:38AM
Your friend is an idiot. I don't think anyone ever contested that the UFC is a sport. If anyone did say that, they meant MMA and just werent thinking clearly.
Aaronno9
2/25/08 11:30:42AM
Tbh, if any of my friends ask what im up to while im watching an mma event, or if im telling them somthing that happened during an mma event, ill usually just refer to it as the ufc. Theres only so many times im going to explain that mma = mixed martial arts, and that just becouse theres a fight in a cage, it doesnt mean its the ufc.
gamez0932
2/25/08 1:50:58PM
this bugs me too... when people say they fight ufc or when people say there in tapout... ufc is a business and tapout is a sponser. at least know whats what before you start talking like you know something... thats all, just had to vent that out.. haha
hunterlcs92
2/25/08 2:50:02PM
i perosnally can't wait to see never back down. it looks like its gonna be a sick movie.
JoeySteel
2/26/08 12:03:46AM
I get mad about a lot of shit. But not this one. It's like saying the NFL when you just mean football. No big deal. Esp when you never played it. Most people who watch MMA never have done it so they are a bit more detached from what the proper name is.

ALSO - I say UFC sometimes just so people know what I mean, I hate having to explain myself all the time. But I slowly try and turn people onto the MMA bandwagon.

We are crusaders for the MMA cause.

telnights
2/26/08 3:33:46AM
Your avg MMA fan thinks the UFC is MMA. Nothing wrong with that just means UFC has done their job. Its kind of like when the internet started taking off a lot people thought that AOL was the internet and nothing more. AOL lost this because they were unable to keep up with the changing times but I don't think the UFC will make that mistake. There is a lot of legitimate stuff to get mad about in this world right now and this isn't one of them.

Posted by gsquat
Your friend is an idiot. I don't think anyone ever contested that the UFC is a sport. If anyone did say that, they meant MMA and just werent thinking clearly.

Just because someone calls MMA the UFC does not make them a idiot. I fairly sure if hung around you for a day I would find something that you refer to in a improper way but that doesn't make you a idiot.
Kpro
2/26/08 9:09:03AM
I feel like the same people that get too riled up over this are the same people who are angry at the explosion of Texas Hold Em because it's not their favorite variation of poker, but it's all the newer players play.
Kracker_Jap
2/26/08 9:38:05AM

Posted by tuvok500

Very good news for the UFC !!

Dana is the man !!

You have train in UFC now !!

UFC/Dana have done what nobody else could do here in the US and the is bring MMA Main stream and into our living rooms

Via... TUF, Fightnights, WEC, Free Main events the news and many more for free and every month and a half some of us get the PPV

The sad thing is so called die hard fans want to cry over spilt milk and get all butt-hurt when the avarage joe calls it UFC/Ultimate fighting and not MMA

How about letting the avarage joe get a passion for the sport and letting the learn it is called MMA just like every one else....

As far as I can remember the first MMA battle I saw was when I was a little kid, I'm 30 now and back then my dad called it a cage match (the fight was Gracie/Shamrock) So in a little time I think that this sport has grown
The_Notorious_ZIG
2/26/08 5:05:17PM
I could care less what other people call it. However, I do care that some people have unsanctioned, unorganized and uncontrolled "fights". Its bad for the sport and this stupid f-cking movie is only going to encourage it while cashing in on MMA's new popularity.

Our culture sucks the pure integrity out of everything and anything. F-cking disgusting !!!