In spite of legal trouble - Sonnen vs. Akiyama at UFC 128

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » In spite of legal trouble - Sonnen vs. Akiyama at UFC 128
Shawn91111
1/4/11 12:13:54AM
Chael Sonnen's life just got a lot more complicated, as if it weren't already.

The UFC middleweight, who's currently serving a suspension from the California State Athletic Commission, today plead guilty to federal charges of money laundering – a charge that carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine – according to a release issued today by the U.S. District Attorney's Office in Oregon.

His sentencing is set to begin 10 days after he is expected to fight Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 128, according to sources close to the event, which today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the pending booking just as news of the legal trouble broke.

UFC 128 takes place March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and features a light heavyweight title bout between champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and former champ Rashad Evans.

LINK
Pookie
1/4/11 12:35:09AM
WOW
Twenty20Dollars
1/4/11 12:38:26AM
Kinda hoping this match up actually doesnt happen even if it does at all.
Taylor8766
1/4/11 12:42:25AM

Posted by Pookie

WOW

Yep you said it, this would be a great fight for Chael to come back to the UFC for. And am I the only one that thinks that 20 years in prison is WAY WAY WAY to harsh a punishment for laundering money. I mean there are murders who dont get that, or that get out.
FastKnockout
1/4/11 1:52:42AM
What a load. He shoudn't get a fight, much less a gimme fight. Guess the UFC really doesn't care about legal issues of their fighters.
RearNakedJoke
1/4/11 3:45:40AM

Posted by FastKnockout

What a load. He shoudn't get a fight, much less a gimme fight. Guess the UFC really doesn't care about legal issues of their fighters.

impressionable youths may be influenced to conduct fraudulent real estate transactions to launder money! We can only pray that Dana White comes to his senses and pulls Chael from the card and replaces him with a good law abiding role model for children like Chris Leben or Rampage Jackson.

BeeR
1/4/11 6:00:16AM
icantthinkofanything
1/4/11 11:36:23AM
On the feet, Chael has looked very fast with a high speed pace, and on the ground same thing, cept he needs to defend submissions more effectively. Team Quest should get Chael a great bjj guy to spar with.

I pick Chael to win only because Akiyama hasnt looked like the fighter who beat Belcher. He looked ok vs Leben until he gassed,
and was not letting his hands go enough va Bisping imo.

I can't believe Chael is in trouble with the law!!!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
emfleek
1/4/11 11:41:19AM
Actually, Chael isn't in trouble with the law. It was actually a man with a Latino accent that was entering the guilty plea. Everything that's been reported is a lie!!!

RearNakedJoke
1/4/11 12:52:06PM

Posted by emfleek

Actually, Chael isn't in trouble with the law. It was actually a man with a Latino accent that was entering the guilty plea. Everything that's been reported is a lie!!!

Chael's lawyer...
Bubbles
1/4/11 2:02:48PM
they just want to cash in as much as they can off Sonnen if he does go to jail. if Sexy loses, he should get cut (3 loses in a row) and thats 2 hefty contracts off the books. if Sexy wins, they cut Chael (whos off to jail most likely) and the fan favourite Akiyama is back to his winning ways.

its a win-win for the UFC
prozacnation1978
1/5/11 12:47:36PM
With sonnen now suspended. Someone call brian stann to fill in!!!!
MMA-San
1/5/11 3:59:54PM
Personally I see nothing wrong with laundering money. If you can do it and get away with it, then thats great man. I don't think laundering money makes you a bad person. At the same time you knew the reprocussions beforehand, so if you get caught you get what you get.

In all honestly, if I could launder money and know I could get away with it I would. The thing is, there isn't much morality involved in this. Nothing about laundeirng money goes against my morals, nothing at all. Meanwhile murer is differnet. Even if it were legal to kill people, I still wouldn't do it.

It is for this reason the punishments for laundering money is so high. If it wasn't then everybody would do it. Meanwhile somewthing like murder or rape for instance may recieve the same punishment...but thats only because the jail time is the last of the deterements...in the case of money laundering jailtime is the only deterent.

I know that sounds really weird...but thats just the reason why jailtime is so high.
pmoney
1/5/11 11:00:59PM
I agree with MMA San. Although there is no caste system in this country anymore, it has just been replaced by tax brackets.

I feel all people in this world struggle with money. We need it for food, clothing and shelter. We need it for school and for transportation and for entertainment. If we don't obtain money, we suffer.

If you found a way to meet your monetary goals in a way that wouldn't negatively impact your friends, family, community, or any business or person, would you not seize that opportunity?

REMEMBER: MONEY IS FAKE. IT DOESN'T COST MONEY TO BUILD A HOUSE OR A SCHOOL OR A FERRARI. All you need is knowledge and access to materials.

Money is just an artificial tag placed on everything to keep us enslaved and dependent.
MMA-San
1/10/11 7:26:27PM
I feel Sonnen has won this topic ;-)