Spike TV Executives Spotted at Bellator 48

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Spike TV Executives Spotted at Bellator 48
FastKnockout
8/21/11 1:58:57PM
Rumors of Bellator moving to Spike TV have circulated since the latter's broadcast deal with the UFC came into question. That move now looks like a forgone conclusion after the UFC's move to the Fox family became official this week.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has played the PR game, telling MMA Junkie that they're only focused on MTV2. Despite Rebney's coyness, MMA Nation's Luke Thomas insists that Spike TV executives have told him that a Bellator move to Spike is "very likely."

LINK
FastKnockout
8/21/11 1:59:38PM
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/11 2:32:58PM
I think it would be better for Bellator to move to Spike, b/c I think you can get more people to turn to Spike than to MTV2, which isn't close to the regular channels at least for me.

For me Spike is channel 38 and MTV is like 251
papercut
8/21/11 3:02:58PM
I noticed spike was advertising the fights in the bottom corner by the "Spike" logo yesterday. I'd say Bellator going to Spike would be a financially wise decision.
Chael_Sonnen
8/21/11 3:24:34PM
No HD for MTV2 =
JoeWarren33
8/21/11 5:39:47PM
Would be a smarter move for Bellator, thats for sure.
pmoney
8/21/11 6:02:42PM
Bellator moving to Spike would be awesome. Aside from some screwball decisions, Bellator is pretty legit. They have some great guys like the Pitbull brothers, Joe Warren, Dan Hornbuckle, Lyman Good, and of course Eddie Alvarez.

They have a lot of access to regional talent, and have been signing up lots of hot prospects lately. Additionally, they have been showcasing well known UFC veterans like Seth Petruzelli, Ben Saunders, Joe Riggs, Paul Buentello and Ricco Rodriguez. They could build up their ranks even further, and have a broader audience to reach.
bjj1605
8/21/11 10:44:39PM

Posted by pmoney

Bellator moving to Spike would be awesome. Aside from some screwball decisions, Bellator is pretty legit. They have some great guys like the Pitbull brothers, Joe Warren, Dan Hornbuckle, Lyman Good, and of course Eddie Alvarez.

They have a lot of access to regional talent, and have been signing up lots of hot prospects lately. Additionally, they have been showcasing well known UFC veterans like Seth Petruzelli, Ben Saunders, Joe Riggs, Paul Buentello and Ricco Rodriguez. They could build up their ranks even further, and have a broader audience to reach.

Pat Curran
Sir_Karl
8/22/11 12:02:37AM
Spike must be bummin' as the UFC signed with FOX. They (Spike) obviously don't want to lose the MMA market. It doesn't matter to me weather Bellator is on Spike or MTV2 though. However, Bellator will get way lower ratings on Spike than the UFC did.
prozacnation1978
8/22/11 8:01:42AM
I hope so I have been paying 6 extra dollars a month for mtv 2
And have dvr every fight this year. Its not been worth it
Bubbles
8/23/11 12:47:48PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by pmoney

Pat Curran

Hector Lombard
MaxOne
8/23/11 3:41:28PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Spike must be bummin' as the UFC signed with FOX. They (Spike) obviously don't want to lose the MMA market. It doesn't matter to me weather Bellator is on Spike or MTV2 though. However, Bellator will get way lower ratings on Spike than the UFC did.

I don't know how much money Bellator has to work with but if Spike invests also...they could do very well together. They could create some products that fill the gap perfectly. I think this could be a fantastic thing.....I would love to see a show designed to fill in for TUF. HOpefully not an identical concept but that intends to get the same viewers.
ncordless
8/23/11 4:07:18PM

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by Sir_Karl

I don't know how much money Bellator has to work with but if Spike invests also...they could do very well together. They could create some products that fill the gap perfectly. I think this could be a fantastic thing.....I would love to see a show designed to fill in for TUF. HOpefully not an identical concept but that intends to get the same viewers.

I think the Bellator tourney style already works like TUF, but without the whole people putting sperm in each other's food thing going on. They can put on an episode a week, set the tourneys in each division, and give us two or three fights a week. It's what they have been doing.
MaxOne
8/23/11 4:11:26PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think the Bellator tourney style already works like TUF, but without the whole people putting sperm in each other's food thing going on. They can put on an episode a week, set the tourneys in each division, and give us two or three fights a week. It's what they have been doing.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. I know i'd watch of course but I don't know if there is enough "back story" in that format to capture the attention of the average viewer.