Spike TV to counter-program 'TUF 16' debut with Roy Nelson marathon on Sept. 14

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Spike TV to counter-program 'TUF 16' debut with Roy Nelson marathon on Sept. 14
thevoodooninja
9/5/12 7:14:45PM
LINK

Spike TV will counter-program FX's debut of "The Ultimate Fighter 16" later this month.

Spike TV today announced its Sept. 14 prime-time lineup will include Roy Nelson and two of his fights from "TUF 10," which aired on the cable station in 2009.

Nelson's preliminary-round matchup with Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, as well as the entire TUF 10 Live Finale main card, are slated for the counter-programming broadcast.
pmoney
9/5/12 7:19:41PM
I wonder how effective this counter-programming tactic is. Could be a factor in the ratings numbers for the Fox shows.

I also wonder if complete control and rights of previous seasons of TUF, Fight Nights and PPV's that aired on Spike revert to Zuffa after 2013....
aussiemma
9/5/12 7:24:57PM
i read the title as roy nelson running a marathon....now that i'd like to see !
grappler0000
9/5/12 7:43:46PM

Posted by pmoney

I wonder how effective this counter-programming tactic is. Could be a factor in the ratings numbers for the Fox shows.

I also wonder if complete control and rights of previous seasons of TUF, Fight Nights and PPV's that aired on Spike revert to Zuffa after 2013....

I believe Spike loses all airing rights once the new year starts.

As long as the UFC logo and content is played on Spike, it will continue to be confusing for the casual fan. Case in point was UFC on Fox 1. Consider the following:

(1) Every household that has Spike also has Fox
(2) There is absolutely no 'good' reason to watch a replayed event over a live one

Meaning, there is no good reason for 1 person to watch Spike that night, yet the counter-programming that Spike aired pulled in a million viewers. Of coarse Spike has the advantage of carrying the same content as they are countering...and they take full advantage in deviously titling the content to sound similar. So even if a casual fan has heard about an upcoming event, they can still be pulled into the same trap. I bet Zuffa cannot wait until the year is out. Oh, and I think they're gonna bend Spike over in 2013 with no Vaseline. They picked a fight, so I hope they're prepared.
warglory
9/5/12 8:15:10PM

Posted by aussiemma

I think he has been training for triathlon with Nick Diaz, so I'm sure he could do it.
Cooler
9/5/12 10:10:53PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by aussiemma

I think he has been training for triathlon with Nick Diaz, so I'm sure he could do it.

I know it's strange but I don't find it weird that Roy could do a marathon either.
prozacnation1978
9/5/12 11:29:49PM
Who would really watch a nelson program instead of the tuf debut.