The Spider Opines: Anderson Silva Talks UFC 77, Future Plans

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Spider Opines: Anderson Silva Talks UFC 77, Future Plans
DCRage
10/23/07 8:13:44AM
After his UFC Middleweight Title defense at UFC 77, Champion Anderson Silva spoke with Sherdog about a variety of topics including the fight, his future plans, and some interesting possible matchups down the road.

Article

I like the possibility of that Matt Hughes fight later down the road, he couold easily hold his own against Silva.
waylon_o
10/23/07 9:43:56AM

Posted by DCRage

After his UFC Middleweight Title defense at UFC 77, Champion Anderson Silva spoke with Sherdog about a variety of topics including the fight, his future plans, and some interesting possible matchups down the road.

Article

I like the possibility of that Matt Hughes fight later down the road, he couold easily hold his own against Silva.

What makes you think Matt Hughes can "easily" hold his own against Anderson Silva? Rich Franklin is a much, much more well rounded fighter than Matt Hughes and he's been destroyed twice now by Silva.
TNunley
10/23/07 9:46:08AM

Posted by waylon_o
What makes you think Matt Hughes can "easily" hold his own against Anderson Silva? Rich Franklin is a much, much more well rounded fighter than Matt Hughes and he's been destroyed twice now by Silva.

Not to mention, if there is another striker in the organization that's close to the level of GSP (or on the same level) it would be Anderson Silva. I'm kicking myself for betting against him at 77, but he definitely proved to me that he deserves to be where he is, and he isn't just hyped.

-Edit-
Forgot to mention where I was going. Obviously GSP destroyed Hughes in stand up in both their fights... I don't think Hughes would stand a chance against a heavier opponent with excellent striking if he has much difficulty with an opponent that has excellent striking about the same natural weight as him.
HulkRage
10/23/07 10:07:47AM
The only way Hughes would be able to " hold his own" against Silva would be on the ground, and I don't think that he could over power Silva and I doubt that Hughes could sub Silva either, so any way that you look at it Silva would destroy Hughes.!
MondayNiteMauser
10/23/07 10:12:07AM
Hughes would get ktfo real quick. Everyone saw how hard it was for Rich to break Silvas clinch and he suppose to be one of the pound for pound strongest fighters in the sport. I think Matt Hughes would get demoed on the ground as well..
Shawn17
10/23/07 10:40:10AM
if travis lutter could get silva to the ground, i'm pretty sure matt hughes could. i think hughes would win this one, right now i think a ground and pound style has the best chance against a fighter like silva.
TNunley
10/23/07 10:43:58AM

Posted by Shawn17

if travis lutter could get silva to the ground, i'm pretty sure matt hughes could. i think hughes would win this one, right now i think a ground and pound style has the best chance against a fighter like silva.

Ya know, I agree... if Lutter could get Silva to the ground than Hughes most likely could. I definitely see Hughes being KO'd before he ever received that opportunity though. Even if Hughes could get Silva to the ground, I definitely don't see Hughes being able to keep Silva there... or if it stays there it's because Silva is not actively escaping.
taporsnap25
10/23/07 10:44:41AM
hughes could probably take silva down if he didn't get knocked out first. but even if he got him down he wouldn't be able to do anything with it, only chance would be lay and pray.
MaxOne
10/23/07 11:36:40AM
i'd like to see bj penn take the light weight title, go up and beat hughes or serra or gsp or whoever and then fight silva.....but that sounds insane when i'm typing. It'd be pretty fresh though.....

I think Matt is a much stronger fighter than franklin. 185 has appeared to be a weak weight in the ufc for a long time...not the case with 170.

There are a few fighters in 205 that could come down and make 185 a stronger weight class with out weakening 205 at all.

I also think Hendo would be more than a hand full for silva....Silva is ill though so who knows at this point.
silverbullet
10/23/07 11:55:15AM

Posted by DCRage

Article

I see Matt Hughes "holding his own" for about 60 sec before getting KTFO'ed
owen1
10/23/07 12:00:03PM
Hughes would get destroyed...probly a few broken bones on his face.Silva is an animal.
CornishMMA
10/23/07 12:08:35PM

Posted by owen1

Hughes would get destroyed...probly a few broken bones on his face.Silva is an animal.

CORRECT

which = Joe Silva PLEASE MAKE THIS FIGHT HAPPEN

How much would you love to see Hughes scared face in the clinch like Franklins was? Then a rearanged face or utter KTFOness? (that is if you dislike Matt like me or Serra)
DCRage
10/23/07 12:36:27PM
I think he's got a chance just because of how well he held up against Royce Gracie. Granted, Royce was a bit out of his element just because UFC has changed so much since his glory days early on, but it's still significant nonetheless.
wrona666
10/23/07 12:49:24PM
first of all Franklin is much bigger and stronger than Matt and he was unable to even escape the clinch of Silva. Granted Matt might be able to take him to the mat, but even if he did i dont see him finishing Silva if he could not even finish Chris Lytle...Silva would win that fight in dominating fashion....
silverbullet
10/23/07 12:51:48PM

Posted by DCRage

I think he's got a chance just because of how well he held up against Royce Gracie. Granted, Royce was a bit out of his element just because UFC has changed so much since his glory days early on, but it's still significant nonetheless.

This is a joke, right? Please tell me you're doing a bit of trolling.

What does 40+ year old washed out Royce Gracie have in common with Anderson Silva?
TNunley
10/23/07 1:08:38PM

Posted by silverbullet

What does 40+ year old washed out Royce Gracie have in common with Anderson Silva?

Ya know, before Royce took that fight I was constantly talking about him to my wife/brother/friends etc. when it came to MMA... talking about how dominant and suprising he was. I still remember the moment that he walked into the Octagon and said "This is my house, I build it!" Sent chills through my body... I anticipated that match for a long time, and when it came..... complete and utter disappointment. That was not the same Legend that used to own the Octagon... or maybe it was, but father time had passed him by.

So I agree completely... Anderson Silva is at the top of his game... Royce Gracie was at the top of his game in UFC 1-UFC 5. That's been quite a while back. The Royce of UFC 1 would have never found himself in a position to be almost submitted like that... or in a position to be GnP'd into a stoppage.
BELLY
10/23/07 1:47:38PM
whilst matt hughes is a legend at welterweight he would be so out of his depth against someone like silva.silva is so well rounded with possibly the best stand up in the ufc at present.an early ko again silva is a beast!!!!
tuvok500
10/23/07 1:53:07PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by DCRage

Article

I see Matt Hughes "holding his own" for about 60 sec before getting KTFO'ed

maybe 2 min, if he is lucky !!!

tuvok500
10/23/07 1:55:17PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by silverbullet

Ya know, before Royce took that fight I was constantly talking about him to my wife/brother/friends etc. when it came to MMA... talking about how dominant and suprising he was. I still remember the moment that he walked into the Octagon and said "This is my house, I build it!" Sent chills through my body... I anticipated that match for a long time, and when it came..... complete and utter disappointment. That was not the same Legend that used to own the Octagon... or maybe it was, but father time had passed him by.

So I agree completely... Anderson Silva is at the top of his game... Royce Gracie was at the top of his game in UFC 1-UFC 5. That's been quite a while back. The Royce of UFC 1 would have never found himself in a position to be almost submitted like that... or in a position to be GnP'd into a stoppage.

well again !!

i was screaming in the house " Royce do something "
but it was over !! LOL

PaleHorse
10/23/07 3:41:59PM

Posted by MaxOne

i'd like to see bj penn take the light weight title, go up and beat hughes or serra or gsp or whoever and then fight silva.....but that sounds insane when i'm typing. It'd be pretty fresh though.....

I think Matt is a much stronger fighter than franklin. 185 has appeared to be a weak weight in the ufc for a long time...not the case with 170.

There are a few fighters in 205 that could come down and make 185 a stronger weight class with out weakening 205 at all.

I also think Hendo would be more than a hand full for silva....Silva is ill though so who knows at this point.

I totally agree with the thought of Dan Henderson fighting middleweight, I also think Chuck Liddell should fight middleweight because it always seems like he has 20 pounds or so he could cut if he wanted. One thing I noticed is that a lot of Japanese fighters try to fight middleweight but can't hold shit, like Yushin Okami. Ryo Chonan, Mach Sakurai, Takanori Gomi, Lyoto Machita, are the big names in Japan that I can think of, a lot of the other ones seem to be fighting up. Even Ryo Chonan is fighting a weight class down after he beat Anderson Silva.
RMFG_187
10/23/07 6:11:12PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by MaxOne

I totally agree with the thought of Dan Henderson fighting middleweight, I also think Chuck Liddell should fight middleweight because it always seems like he has 20 pounds or so he could cut if he wanted. One thing I noticed is that a lot of Japanese fighters try to fight middleweight but can't hold shit, like Yushin Okami. Ryo Chonan, Mach Sakurai, Takanori Gomi, Lyoto Machita, are the big names in Japan that I can think of, a lot of the other ones seem to be fighting up. Even Ryo Chonan is fighting a weight class down after he beat Anderson Silva.

LMAO

Chuck Liddell making MW? are u crazy? The only Class changing Chuck needs / is able to do is to Leave The Pit. Chuck's offseason weight is 225-230.
losing 40-50 Lbs aint easy. As For who can beat Silva?

dunno but GSP, Hendo, Wanderlei, Ryo, and Machida(if he cut weight)

if silva Moves up a class.

Imagine Silva Vs Forrest Griffin
or Imagin Silva Vs Houston Alexander.

thats wat dream matches are made of
GrandMaster313
10/23/07 8:46:50PM
Hughes' striking ability is no where near Silva's. That being said the only other option is to TRY and take Silva down and pound away on his face or submitt. Unfortunatly when Hughes decides to do so He will be hit flush with Knees and the rest will be history !
vcr88
10/23/07 8:53:36PM
I think Silva is the perfect weight for him to fight at if he went up there would be a possibility for him to lose some of his speed which is important for his style of fighting....so the dream matches you were talking about would have a possibility of being big dissapointments.
zephead
10/23/07 9:07:10PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by DCRage

Article

Matchup. Hughes ground -n- pound style might be what stops Silva. Trying to stand and bang with him isn't working. Trying out jui-jitsu him isn';t working. But what about a good old style of ground and pound. Of pushing the fight. Of making him work on the ground. Making him fight off a takedown.
vcr88
10/27/07 12:06:13AM
Lol i think ive stated this before and was proven right in this fight and the last fight but honestly the only way that a basic tactic such as ground and pound would work against someone like Anderson Silve is if it was masterfully set up and executed. Now im not saying Matt Hughes isnt a good enough fighter to do it but i think hes too hard headed to really pay attention to detail.