Spencer Fisher vs. Melvin Guillard???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Spencer Fisher vs. Melvin Guillard???
nickcuc547
8/5/08 4:40:33PM
this fight is listed on the mmaweekly rumors page. if this is true it's going to be a war. fisher likes to bang but will he be able to stand and trade with a guy like melvin? this could be a huge fight for both guys.
Bowen50
8/5/08 4:43:35PM
i think Guillard is too much for Spencer. Spencer doesn't have the chin to stand and trade with a guy like Melvin.

Guillard Round 1 KO
TWITA
8/5/08 4:44:45PM
Bring It On! I'm totally down with this fight!
jiujitsufreak74
8/5/08 4:46:56PM

Posted by Bowen50

i think Guillard is too much for Spencer. Spencer doesn't have the chin to stand and trade with a guy like Melvin.

Guillard Round 1 KO

totally disagree with your reasons. Spencer definitely has the chin, just watch his fights with Stout. Stout is a professional kickboxer and like his nickname says he has hands of stone. Fisher's stand-up is dynamic and his a crafty veteran. i would bet that Melvin makes a mistake and over commits and Spencer capitalizes to put it away. Fisher has more ways to win and has faced better strikers than Melvin.
nickcuc547
8/5/08 4:58:55PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Bowen50

Guillard Round 1 KO

totally disagree with your reasons. Spencer definitely has the chin, just watch his fights with Stout. Stout is a professional kickboxer and like his nickname says he has hands of stone. Fisher's stand-up is dynamic and his a crafty veteran. i would bet that Melvin makes a mistake and over commits and Spencer capitalizes to put it away. Fisher has more ways to win and has faced better strikers than Melvin.

you make some good points, but i think melvin is more powerful than stout. i think melvin lands a bomb but it's going to be a war. Melvin will have to show a lot of heart if he wants to win this fight.
bls1919
8/5/08 5:06:55PM
IF this goes down it should be a barn burrner. Spencer has a hell of a chin and his striking is very good. I agree i think it would push Melvin a lot further than hes gone in the past. It would be hard to pick against either guy in this one.
jawbreaker517
8/5/08 5:11:27PM

Posted by Bowen50

Guillard Round 1 KO

Although I do agree with you on the point that Spencer will capitalize on a Guillard mistake, Stout's stand-up hasn't impressed me since coming to the UFC, so thats not saying too much.
postman
8/5/08 5:13:05PM

Posted by Bowen50

Guillard Round 1 KO

You took the words from my mouth. While Melvin may have more power then Stout power is overrated if your missing your target. Spenser should stay in the pocket protect his chin and wait for melvin to make the mistake, he is no doubt going to make, and end the fight. I say Fisher by tko in 2.
jiujitsufreak74
8/5/08 5:15:34PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Bowen50

Guillard Round 1 KO

You took the words from my mouth. While Melvin may have more power then Stout power is overrated if your missing your target. Spenser should stay in the pocket protect his chin and wait for melvin to make the mistake, he is no doubt going to make, and end the fight. I say Fisher by tko in 2.

exactly. i was inferring that Stout was more powerful than Melvin but rather that he has hard hands and is accurate with his strikes and landed several hard punches on Spencer to no avail which then proves that Spencer does have a "chin". Melvin is a wild bull, and Spencer will be the matador and capitalize when the time is right.
gsquat
8/5/08 5:26:56PM
Spencer doesn't have the power Guillard has, but he can out-strike Melvin on a technical basis. On the ground its all Fisher. I'm gonna say Fisher, R!, Sub.
DangerousDjohn
8/5/08 5:39:15PM
It will be a war...much better fight then what people think. Melvin...with his heart in the game...is a danger. I will never take Spencer Fisher lightly again though. I was a fool to do it the first time.
Mchubb316
8/5/08 5:40:06PM
I think Spencer is a more dynamic fighter than Guillard. Has more ways to win, and is a tough guy. I like Fisher in this fight. I think if Guillard wins, he wins by cutting fisher, and the doctors stop the fight.
GrizzlyChadams
8/5/08 5:40:24PM
I'd have to go with Melvin on this one but it's a very tough call. Could go either way very easily.
billycarnage
8/5/08 7:40:21PM
This would be Guillards toughest fight yet and he will be out classed. For all the doubters I think you should reference Fisher vs Stout 1 and 2 as well as his fight at WW with Thiago Alves. He totally got the best of Alves standing and managed to catch him in a triangle and finish him. I like the match up. I like the Matador reference JJFreak

Fisher via submission
prozacnation1978
8/5/08 8:10:24PM
i think fisher will catch him in a submission
DiabloFreak56
8/5/08 10:03:13PM
i just cant pick against spencer again.. i mean everytime i pick against him he wins.. plus hes a better overall fighter then melvin..

so im gonna say Spencer rd 2 via Ground and Pound?
Jackelope
8/5/08 10:27:33PM
LMAO people are that sold on Guillard? The guy has potential, but come on. We're talking about Spencer Fisher here who's tough as nails and has been in absolute wars with 10X the caliber of fighter. Not to mention that Fisher seems to have something against young bucks thinking they're tough. Fisher takes this one whichever way he wants to.

On the plus side Guillard always feels the need to prove himself against the "old men" so it's your classic young buck vs. hardened veteran matchup. Even though Guillard probably has more fights
jiujitsufreak74
8/5/08 10:35:31PM

Posted by Jackelope
Even though Guillard probably has more fights

he has 5 more fights than Fisher
postman
8/5/08 10:43:10PM
The best way to fight a guy like Melvin is to attack his punches. Range in when he throws. Through a shoulder into his heavy hooks opening him up for a counter. You can bet everything that Spencer and Pat will be working on alot of eat a punch and attack. Ranging out is going to leave him open like Rizzo anginst Barney. He will need to clinch qiuckly after to keep it from turning into a slug fest.
jomatty
8/6/08 9:41:32AM
why would anyone think spencer doesnt have a chin? he is tough as they come. his hands are also just about as fast as anyone ive seen in any division. there is always the chance that someone as explosive as melvin will overwhelm him and get the stoppage but i think much more often than not spencer wins this in the first round, and often by submission...
fedorwins1
8/6/08 2:11:22PM
I'm picking the underdog Guillard. If Guillard is going to win, it's going to be early IMO. Franca put Spencer away and Guillard has insane power and speed. Spencer will probably try and trade with Guillard, but I think that will be a bad idea and Guillard will KO Spencer.
Franklinfan47
8/7/08 6:03:53PM
I really hope Fisher's not stupid enough to stand with Guillard. If he takes him down, he will eat him alive in two seconds (see fisher vs alves, very similar). Take the smart road spencer!
twisted22
8/7/08 7:03:34PM
I got Spencer by sub.
mkiv9secsupra
8/7/08 7:15:26PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I really hope Fisher's not stupid enough to stand with Guillard

Huh?! Spencer is one of the best strikers in this division. Hes quick and his technique is outstanding. Guillard has the power advantage and thats it. He dominated Sam Stout (16-4 kickboxing record including a win in K-1, TKO World LW Champion, IKF North American Welterweight Kickboxing champion, and Canadian lightweight Muay Thai champion) who is a great kickboxer. So why would Spencer be dumb for standing with Guillard? Guillard should be hoping for a miracle in advancing his takedowns and GnP skills.

Franklinfan47
8/7/08 7:57:25PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Franklinfan47

I really hope Fisher's not stupid enough to stand with Guillard

Huh?! Spencer is one of the best strikers in this division. Hes quick and his technique is outstanding. Guillard has the power advantage and thats it. He dominated Sam Stout (16-4 kickboxing record including a win in K-1, TKO World LW Champion, IKF North American Welterweight Kickboxing champion, and Canadian lightweight Muay Thai champion) who is a great kickboxer. So why would Spencer be dumb for standing with Guillard? Guillard should be hoping for a miracle in advancing his takedowns and GnP skills.

Never said Fisher wasnt a good striker, he has great striking. But why stand with a guy with huge KO power and run the risk of getting knocked out at any time when Fisher could probably tool him on the ground?