Sources: Fedor-Silva In SF February 12

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sources: Fedor-Silva In SF February 12
DCRage
1/3/11 4:18:39PM
He's back. Fedor Emelianenko will return to the Strikeforce cage on Feb. 12, as he takes on Antonio Silva in a heavyweight main event from the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J. A match between former UFC heavyweight champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett is also said to be in the works for the February date. It remains to be seen how the New Jersey Athletic Control Board handles the licensing situation Barnett -- who allegedly tested positive for a performance enhancing substance prior to a scheduled bout with Emelianenko in the summer of 2009 -- is dealing with in California. His hearing before the California commission was pushed back at their Dec. 2 meeting. As speculated, Strikeforce will indeed hold an eight-man heavyweight tournament in 2011, and Emelianenko-Silva and Arlovski-Barnett are set to serve as quarterfinal bouts. Though the remaining combatants could not be confirmed, a third quarterfinal matchup between Fabricio Werdum and Brett Rogers is expected to take place in Columbus, Ohio, on a planned March 5 event. A fourth and final tournament bout is also set to take place on the March card. Semi-final and final bouts would then be held later in the year at to-be-announced events. The promotion will also hold two alternate bouts in case injury sidelines competitors in the main draw. Potential contestants could include “Challengers” series standouts Lavar Johnson, Daniel Cormier and Shane del Rosario. No word yet on if the winner might get an eventual shot at Heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

Article
emfleek
1/3/11 4:20:15PM

Posted by DCRage

No word yet on if the winner might get an eventual shot at Heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

F'ing hilarious.
jiujitsufreak74
1/3/11 4:28:26PM
Fedor's management = scared of Overeem
warglory
1/3/11 5:44:10PM
I'm sorry, but I am becoming less and less interested in Fedor as his management rolls his legacy into the ground and covers it with dirt.
Pookie
1/3/11 6:55:57PM
Antonio Silva is still a dangerous opponent. While Overeem is doing his k-1 thing, why not give Fedor a match-up in the meantime?

I like the fight, but more interesting to me is Barnett v. Arlovski!
Bloodhound
1/3/11 7:05:12PM
I'm pumped for this HW Tournament
icantthinkofanything
1/3/11 7:05:45PM
Fedor by 1st rd ko, than hopefully we can get Overeem Vs Fedor for the belt. that would be a great fight, I think Overeem looked great vs Duffee, and he may be the undisputed champ some day.
prozacnation1978
1/3/11 7:24:30PM
If those are the best four in tournament I do think
Del rosario needs to be in
Overeem should be in as well or at least face werdum

I find it funny that strikeforce can't control their own fighters and force them to fight who and when on strikeforce's terms
pmoney
1/3/11 7:44:51PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I find it funny that strikeforce can't control their own fighters and force them to fight who and when on strikeforce's terms

The only thing I can say to the credit of Strikeforce is their cross-promotion fights are ballsy. Having Aoki fight Melendez was great for the fans, I feel. That fight was really boring imo, but watching two promotion's champions fight was fun. You know the UFC will never let Cain Velasquez go into a Strikeforce ring and fight Overeem.
sbulldavid
1/3/11 7:56:36PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Everybody is ducking someone, some test or some athletic commission. It's too bad because Fedor, Werdum, Overeem, are all top caliber fighters, and Werdum is the only one of the three I see ever fighting in the UFC.
DCRage
1/3/11 8:03:12PM
Update to first post, Junkie says Werdum-Rogers will not happen.
SmileR
1/3/11 8:11:41PM

Posted by Pookie
I like the fight, but more interesting to me is Barnett v. Arlovski!

Me too!! I can't wait for this fight!
tcunningham
1/3/11 11:14:37PM
everytime i hear about this i get pissed that overeem isnt defending his title. why cant they give him an opponent? i dont care about fedor and silva, i care about silva/overeem, werdum/overeem, fedor/overeem. he isnt preoccupied with K-1 cause he just fought duffee in an MMA fight so obviously he needs to defend his strikeforce title,