Source: Champ Nick Diaz denied spot on Strikeforce's June 26 card due to brawl

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Source: Champ Nick Diaz denied spot on Strikeforce's June 26 card due to brawl
runningman08
5/1/10 1:49:08PM
A post-fight melee that followed an April 17 Strikeforce event cost Jason "Mayhem" Miller a headlining spot next month at "Strikeforce: Los Angeles," and Strikeforce welterweight champ Nick Diaz appears to have suffered a similar fate.

A source close to Diaz told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was told his request to compete on Strikeforce's June 26 fight card in San Jose, Calif., also was turned down because of his role in the televised brawl.

Diaz was one of multiple Cesar Gracie team members involved in a post-"Strikeforce: Nashville" scuffle that broke out when preliminary-card fighter Miller interrupted main-event winner Jake Shields during a post-fight speech.

Full Article -Here-
jae_1833
5/1/10 1:58:16PM
Now if this is true for Gilbert as well then I will agree with the way that the SF org is dealing with the situation.....when it comes down to it they all had their own rights and wrongs in the scenario....so I think at this point you just dish out a blanket punishment and let them all consider their own actions.
bjj1605
5/1/10 3:29:28PM
This makes me feel a lot better about punishing Mayhem, but Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez both need to be punished as well for it to be fair. Each of those guys is more responsible than Mayhem for the incident.
Giant_Ochai
5/1/10 3:39:01PM

Posted by bjj1605

This makes me feel a lot better about punishing Mayhem, but Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez both need to be punished as well for it to be fair. Each of those guys is more responsible than Mayhem for the incident.

Gilbert conveniently announced after the Aoki fight that he doesn't want to fight until NYE . If Shields isn't punished by the TAC it's quite likely he'll debut in the UFC and be welcomed as some sort of hero.
postman
5/1/10 3:52:06PM
I can see the Promo now for Mayhem Vs Diaz..
Sir_Karl
5/1/10 4:05:36PM
As a Diaz fan this stinks. Of course I did see it coming and he does deserve it. It doesn't matter though as he will crush anyone Strikeforce throws at him whenever he fights again.
BustedKnuckle
5/1/10 6:28:32PM
I hope that SF treats all involved the same way. I agree with the punishment as long as it is consistant across the board.
prozacnation1978
5/1/10 6:43:40PM
We will see if gilbert gets same treatment
But I wonder how long they will sit 6 months??
postman
5/1/10 7:08:06PM
There are talks of Gilbert going to Japan to fight Aoki in Dream. Who knows what will happen.
Pookie
5/1/10 9:38:23PM
Are they really about to bench basically all of their big names just to make a point?
Caesarrrr
5/1/10 11:45:09PM
No more complaining about mayhem.

Most of you really should rethink the situation, and I don't mean this to be insulting. You all are acting as if Strikeforce has complete and total control over the entire thing, and they decided Mayhem was the victim. While some of that might be true, they're basing their actions on the TSAC, which is "investigating" (I'd love to know what exactly happens in the "investigation," as I feel the only things required would be interviews with those involved, watching of all available footage of the incident, and then deliberation.)

I do feel this is a good move on their part though. This now gives them far more credibility in this situation.