sounds like sonnen's coach may think chael's done fighting.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » sounds like sonnen's coach may think chael's done fighting.
SpiderSilva
7/8/12 10:38:06PM
jakewalters
7/8/12 11:09:02PM
Sonnen knows there's enough hype around the rivalry to merit a third fight. He's two wins away from another crack at the title. Too bad he got crazy and tried that spinning elbow. Next go around (if there is one), we'll see a much more traditional gameplan.

"If Anderson grabbed my shorts tonight, I'll grab someone else's down the road" -Chael last night at the post fight presser... doesn't sound like he has retirement in mind.
ghandikush
7/9/12 1:18:59AM

Posted by jakewalters

Sonnen knows there's enough hype around the rivalry to merit a third fight. He's two wins away from another crack at the title. Too bad he got crazy and tried that spinning elbow. Next go around (if there is one), we'll see a much more traditional gameplan.

"If Anderson grabbed my shorts tonight, I'll grab someone else's down the road" -Chael last night at the post fight presser... doesn't sound like he has retirement in mind.

I know somehow everyones still on Sonnens nuts but a third fight wont happen. Anderson only has a few great fights left in him for one, for another if he lost the third fight after having decisively won the first 2 then we are going to see a 4 and 5?

Not likely.

No marketable reason for that other than a big blowout main event, but Silva will get an opponent with hype. Munoz/Weidman will be just as dangerous.
lohmann
7/9/12 1:48:31AM

Posted by ghandikush

I know somehow everyones still on Sonnens nuts but a third fight wont happen. Anderson only has a few great fights left in him for one, for another if he lost the third fight after having decisively won the first 2 then we are going to see a 4 and 5?

Not likely.

No marketable reason for that other than a big blowout main event, but Silva will get an opponent with hype. Munoz/Weidman will be just as dangerous.

While I totally agree that Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen III is highly unlikely, I find it hard to qualify Silva vs. Munoz or Silva vs. Weidman as a great fight. No amount of hype will make people believe they are suitable contenders for a fighter like Anderson Silva. At this point, it is more a question of a serviceable contender than it is "the answer," what the UFC found with Belfort and Sonnen II. Every main event with Silva until he loses or calls it quits will pull huge numbers but I think at this point it will be more because he's a transcendental fighter than because there's a great question to solve about his game or a real challenger (outside of his age or some sort of super-fight).

The way I put it to a couple of guys that started watching MMA just last year after the fight, when they complained that Anderson Silva is no longer interesting as a champion: Guys like that are a rarity in any sport, so just sit back and enjoy it until he is gone.

As for Sonnen, I hope he sticks around, even as a gatekeeper. The UFC needs somebody to stave off the unworthy challengers. (And maybe, if Silva retires soon, Sonnen might get that belt for his dad.)
mrsmiley
7/9/12 8:54:42AM
It's gotta be tough for Chael at this point. He's entertaining as hell but he's lost two straight now to Anderson. I could see a third fight possibly but I think their's a lot of what if factors involved for it to happen. Maybe a change in weight class?
He's always said he wanted a night off to go up and take out the division that had a karate guy as the champion.
ghandikush
7/9/12 11:32:08AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by ghandikush

Not likely.

While I totally agree that Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen III is highly unlikely, I find it hard to qualify Silva vs. Munoz or Silva vs. Weidman as a great fight. No amount of hype will make people believe they are suitable contenders for a fighter like Anderson Silva. At this point, it is more a question of a serviceable contender than it is "the answer," what the UFC found with Belfort and Sonnen II. Every main event with Silva until he loses or calls it quits will pull huge numbers but I think at this point it will be more because he's a transcendental fighter than because there's a great question to solve about his game or a real challenger (outside of his age or some sort of super-fight).

The way I put it to a couple of guys that started watching MMA just last year after the fight, when they complained that Anderson Silva is no longer interesting as a champion: Guys like that are a rarity in any sport, so just sit back and enjoy it until he is gone.

As for Sonnen, I hope he sticks around, even as a gatekeeper. The UFC needs somebody to stave off the unworthy challengers. (And maybe, if Silva retires soon, Sonnen might get that belt for his dad.)

I give Munoz as decent a chance as Okami or Hendo, which were stylistically the toughest oponents for Silva. Give me a great top guy who has no fear of Silvas JJ and you have a big spoil.

Either way the guy who earns a title shot earns a title shot and a guy like Weidman reminds me a lot of Mike Brown etc... you think wow the division is entirely wiped clean and then you realize this is MMA
Boo_Radley21
7/10/12 10:50:09AM
Sonnen sounded done fighting at the post fight presser. saying hes not gonna just hang around and blend in