sooo...after andersons last performance ...roy jones jr ??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » sooo...after andersons last performance ...roy jones jr ??
thunderstruck
8/10/09 4:26:09PM
when i first heard of andersons future wishes to someday box roy jones jr , i kinda thought to myself " whoa , lets not get ahead of ourselves here spider ". after that display of amazing hand speed and power as well as great body movement against forrest , i think he showed he just might have what it takes to dawn the puffy gloves for a twelve rounder with jones jr . i was wondering what your take on how this type of fight might go down if it ever does happen , if so , could the spider maybe even take on other greats such as calzaghe /hopkins ect . ?

also , although the ufc is a mma company , what do you think of such an event being held under a ufc banner even though its a pure test of stand up boxing only be a endeavor mr white might have interest in ? i mean objectively speaking , it is somewhat a cross over fight , but boxing revenues are astronomical compared to mma in general and i think the ufc could win over even more of the boxing community , grow there fan base , as well as squash the seemingly bad blood between ufc and boxing promoters .your thoughts ? i think if you think outside the box like this it can only be good for the ufc .
postman
8/10/09 4:30:21PM
That fight would require co promotion with Roy Jones and you know that won't happen. It would be intrestin to see a fight with Roy's rules (boxing) but in Anderson's home (the cage).
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/10/09 4:40:32PM
I don't think Anderson will beat Roy Jones in a boxing match when they fight. I admit Roy is not in his prime any more but he lasted and even dropped Calzaghe when they fought. Anderson is an amazingly talented fighter but his boxing skills are not even close to Roy Jones Jr.
The UFC (especially Dana) "does not like this fight" because it raises the sort of questions the OP mentions IMO. IF Silva destroys RJJ maybe boxing fans would want to see co promoted events. This is clearly not within the best interest of ZUFFA. It has worked hard to become what it is today, starting in a new direction or letting other companies ride the coat-tails of their success is simply not good business.
Nightmare27
8/10/09 4:44:30PM
I really hope that Anderson sticks with MMA but I would definetly watch the fight if it went down. I wonder what weight class they would fight at? Both fighters have fought at multiple weights.
george112
8/10/09 4:57:36PM
imo i dont think anderson would fare to well against roy jones..only because boxers are a whole lot better than all the strikers andersons fought..that being said roy jones boxing is very very good.andersons is good.

roy jones even though hes past his prime.is still more than over andersons level of boxing.

now im not saying roy jones is gonna totally whoop his ass haha eventhough i know it looks like that.BUT roys speed and power is seriously going to give anderson problems
thunderstruck
8/10/09 5:22:43PM
basically what im thinking is this
. dana said flat out no , he dont want it . anderson silva , who is argueably the best overall fighter he has in his company says its a life long dream of his . a.silva has three fights left on his contract . the man fights that often he could have his contractual obligation to the ufc overwith inside of a year and a half . i would think anderson , once his contract is up may pursue such a fight with or without the ufc . i think its gonna happen regardeless , so instead of dana flat out refusing and possibly making his relationship with anderson less than stellar , why not give the man what he wants and co promote such an event .ufc could take in huge revenue since it wouldnt only be ufc fans wanting to purchase the ppv , but boxing fans as well .so what if dana /zuffa has to share a huge amount of profit with another promoter to give fans / and his best p4p fighter in the world what they want . it would give a ufc fighter huge publicity and maybe show boxing fans that mma fighters are for real . not to mention make silvas management and himself happy to pursue such a dream , and maybe even make him a little more happy to resign with the ufc again for another term of fights . i dont see why dana wouldnt want this in this regarde . maybe its just me ? i dunno ..
george112
8/10/09 5:46:32PM
if the UFC wouldnt co-promote with M-1 for fedor.their certainly not going to co-promote with someone else for a boxer.even as great a boxer as roy jones

also what if anderson were to lose?? it would hurt the UFC and just make the whole mma/boxing fued worse
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/10/09 5:58:39PM

Posted by george112

if the UFC wouldnt co-promote with M-1 for fedor.their certainly not going to co-promote with someone else for a boxer.even as great a boxer as roy jones

also what if anderson were to lose?? it would hurt the UFC and just make the whole mma/boxing fued worse

that is one of the main reasons, boxing fans will try to discredit MMA fighters' skills if Anderson lost. It would carry on the pointless fued between boxing and MMA. Money hungry boxing promoters and commissions still can't admit that they deprive fans of top fights and invent fake titles to try and legitamise a dying sport.
SociopathX
8/10/09 9:25:14PM
once Anderson's 3 fights left in the UFC are over you can count on this happening as long as both fighters are still willing.

Have them box in a cage with UFC sized gloves and anderson will own him.
george112
8/10/09 9:31:37PM

Posted by SociopathX

once Anderson's 3 fights left in the UFC are over you can count on this happening as long as both fighters are still willing.

Have them box in a cage with UFC sized gloves and anderson will own him.

seeing as how i think roy jones is faster with boxing gloves than silva is with UFC gloves.

i dont see how the cage or the UFC gloves would give silva an advantage
DJBlankenship
8/11/09 8:36:56AM
I think if Silva fights Jr in a boxing match then, win or lose, Jr shofight Silva in the cage.
slapshot
8/11/09 10:56:46AM
Im with Dana on this one, its a ignorant idea and a lose lose outcome for Anderson.
thunderstruck
8/11/09 12:57:51PM
how do you come to that conclusion ? a lose -lose ? there is tons of money to be made , anderson might get 5 times the pay day he usually gets , anderson gets to live out a dream of his , plus get huge name recognition with boxing fans ....how is this a lose -lose and a "ignorant " idea ?
slapshot
8/11/09 2:04:40PM

Posted by thunderstruck

how do you come to that conclusion ? a lose -lose ? there is tons of money to be made , anderson might get 5 times the pay day he usually gets , anderson gets to live out a dream of his , plus get huge name recognition with boxing fans ....how is this a lose -lose and a "ignorant " idea ?

Just look at the two outcomes,

A. Silva wins,
So he beat a over the hill boxer? so what. MMA's pound for pound best has to pick on a over the hill boxer to win!
MMA cant keep Anderson happy or generate enough competition or revenue to pay him what he deserves!

And on and on I can just see all the spin and negative press. And I have to ask for what? Jones is not ranked as the number 1 fighter in boxing he's not even in the top five. A win cant prove MMA's better than boxing or that the best MMA fighter can beat the best boxer because Roy is no longer the best.

Regardless of Anderson's intension's to challenge himself its others perception that would make this a mistake.

A. Silva loses,
This is the most likely outcome and one that dose nothing but make MMA look bad. I think he would lose too. I cant think of anything positive that would come from this.

IMO there are so many things that make this a bad idea its crazy.