Sony enlists FBI as US, Canadian authorities look into PSN breach

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Sony enlists FBI as US, Canadian authorities look into PSN breach
FastKnockout
4/27/11 10:08:31PM
This morning, the British government's Information Commissioner's Office announced it was opening an inquiry into the ongoing PlayStation Network outage and data leak. Now, US and Canadian government bodies have joined the chorus demanding answers about the exposure, which could potentially lead to the theft of up to 77 million PSN users' personal information.

Sony has reportedly asked the FBI to join the hunt for the PSN hackers.
Reuters reports that US Representative Mary Bono Mack (R-California) has asked members of the US House of Representatives' subcommittee for commerce, manufacturing, and trade to begin looking into the data leak. Mack, the widow of the late US Representative Sonny Bono, chairs the subcommittee, which will apparently soon weigh in on whether hearings are needed on the matter. Bono Mack's move comes one day after US Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) called on Sony to offer full disclosure to PSN users if their information was compromised.

Reuters also reports that Sony has contacted the San Diego office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's cybercrimes unit to look into the data breach. The news service could not get public comment, but did cite unnamed sources as saying say the law enforcement body was investigating the matter.

Meanwhile, north of the border, Canadian authorities are also looking into the PSN debacle. Canada's privacy commissioner told the Vancouver Sun that it, too, is launching an inquiry.

"We are currently looking into this matter and are seeking information from Sony," a spokesperson said. "We will determine next steps once we have a full understanding of the incident."

LINK
TS92turbo
4/27/11 11:34:26PM
Anonymous is taking this wikileaks BS too far...
cowcatcher
4/28/11 10:42:39AM
Another reason Xbox360>PS3.
RyanC
4/28/11 3:54:27PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Wow, it only took 2 posts for this to turn into a PS3 vs. XBox argument.
bojangalz
4/28/11 8:35:56PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by cowcatcher

Wow, it only took 2 posts for this to turn into a PS3 vs. XBox argument.

Didn't realize there was actually an argument to be had. I figured that was settled long before all this PSN stuff came out.

In all seriousness, this sucks pretty hard in a big, big way for all effected. Gotta love technology.
cowcatcher
4/29/11 12:16:57PM
Once again the "you get what you pay for" saying is proven true. It really sucks fr people that just started paying for the PSN plus or whatever they call it, and the people paying $15 a month for DC online. I wasn't trying to turn it into an argument, I was just stating the obvious hoping to get a rise out of someone.
pmoney
5/2/11 11:02:34AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Once again the "you get what you pay for" saying is proven true. It really sucks fr people that just started paying for the PSN plus or whatever they call it, and the people paying $15 a month for DC online. I wasn't trying to turn it into an argument, I was just stating the obvious hoping to get a rise out of someone.

You were trolling!!!! For shame.....
cowcatcher
5/2/11 11:25:45AM