Is Sonnen in Silva's Head?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Is Sonnen in Silva's Head?
sclasclemski
6/1/10 6:54:47AM
Apparently Anderson Silva is fed up with Chael Sonnen's pre-fight posturing and he wants his Team Quest opponent to lay off.

In the above interview with Pro MMA Radio, Sonnen recalls a tense situation that occurred at this weekend's UFC Fan Expo in which Silva approached him to tell him to "relax."

Sonnen said that he told the UFC middleweight champ, who seemed frustrated by the amount of autographs he had to sign for fans at the event, that "in two months, he wouldn't have to sign any more because nobody will care about him again." Apparently Sonnen's remark was lost in translation at the time, but when one of Anderson's entourage later informed the Brazilian fighter what was actually said, he decided to seek Chael out and tell him to lay off.

Link w/video
lohmann
6/1/10 7:08:32AM
At least Silva feeling disrespected is very real this time. It might be funny to the casual fan, but I doubt Silva laughs at the things Sonnen has stated lately.

Silva was offended last time he fought, by such a slight thing like Maia "disrespecting" his jiu-jitsu, yet he looked even more dominant than ever coming out of the fight. He made Maia look completely helpless for twenty-five minutes while bullying him.

Gotta give it to Sonnen though. He is going to be the reason the UFC delivers numbers for this pay-per-view and he will be the reason Anderson Silva's bandwagon fills back up again when he puts a beating on Chael.
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/10 10:07:41AM

Posted by lohmann

At least Silva feeling disrespected is very real this time. It might be funny to the casual fan, but I doubt Silva laughs at the things Sonnen has stated lately.

Silva was offended last time he fought, by such a slight thing like Maia "disrespecting" his jiu-jitsu, yet he looked even more dominant than ever coming out of the fight. He made Maia look completely helpless for twenty-five minutes while bullying him.

Gotta give it to Sonnen though. He is going to be the reason the UFC delivers numbers for this pay-per-view and he will be the reason Anderson Silva's bandwagon fills back up again when he puts a beating on Chael.

I think you'll see a lot of Chael supporters jump on board after he shocks the world against 'The Spider'....so far, I'm the only one on board...there's plenty of room
cmill21
6/1/10 10:51:10AM
Chael can beat Anderson. Everyoe ho said Hendo said it because his wrestling and toughness were awsome, Chael brings that as well, but hopefully unlike Dan he'll stick to take downs.
FlashyG
6/1/10 11:04:46AM
You're not alone.

There are many of us who've come around on Chael with his new found skill of trash talking.

The man can sell a fight better than anyone else in MMA right now.
gartface
6/1/10 11:06:15AM

Posted by lohmann

I don't think the point of trash talk is to get your opponent to laugh at what you're saying. He's trying to get into Anderson's head, and maybe he's realized that Silva is easy to disturb. If he can screw up Anderson's mental game, that's just one more advantage for Sonnen.

I agree Cmill, if he sticks to the wrestling for five rounds, he'll dominate Silva.
sbulldavid
6/1/10 11:07:57AM
Sonnen is a much better wrestler than Henderson at the point of fighting Anderson. If Sonnen survives the first two rounds, we will have a new middleweight champion.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/1/10 11:37:35AM

Posted by FlashyG

You're not alone.

There are many of us who've come around on Chael with his new found skill of trash talking.

The man can sell a fight better than anyone else in MMA right now.

the guy could sell a sand box to an egyptian.
noahgenda
6/1/10 11:45:47AM
lmao @ people being a fan of chael sonnen. what has he done to earn the right to talk how he does? lay on marquardt, get cut open terrible bad and almost choked out? get ABUSED on the mat by maia? his style isnt even entertaining. he is a want to be politician and a good wrestler. he is going to get absolutely crushed in this fight imo

why do you guys think if he sticks to wrestling he will dominate? have you followed hios career? have you not noticed his predilection for getting subbed out? i mean forest griffin caught him in a triangle
prozacnation1978
6/1/10 11:55:32AM
I heard about this over te weekend
bjj1605
6/1/10 12:01:12PM
Man I wish I was there to see it....
FlashyG
6/1/10 12:10:29PM

Posted by noahgenda

lmao @ people being a fan of chael sonnen. what has he done to earn the right to talk how he does? lay on marquardt, get cut open terrible bad and almost choked out? get ABUSED on the mat by maia? his style isnt even entertaining. he is a want to be politician and a good wrestler. he is going to get absolutely crushed in this fight imo

why do you guys think if he sticks to wrestling he will dominate? have you followed hios career? have you not noticed his predilection for getting subbed out? i mean forest griffin caught him in a triangle

Maybe he will get crushed by Anderson, and I agree that his style isn't the most exciting either.

But if there is a Chael Sonnen interview posted, I can't wait to see/read it.

As for getting subbed, its not like Anderson is known for his ground game, he has a few subs but most of them are from strikes. The only actual submission I can remember from him was against Hendo.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/1/10 12:23:22PM

Posted by noahgenda
i mean forest griffin caught him in a triangle

Forrest also choked out Rua but I am willing to bet that most people wouldn't want to be on the ground with him. Sonnen absolutely has the skill set to beat Silva. Maybe you saw something different than I did but when Sonnen fought Marquardt he was beating the hell out of him.
Giant_Ochai
6/1/10 12:41:34PM

Posted by noahgenda

Griffin subbed him seven years ago.
Jackelope
6/1/10 12:51:42PM

Posted by lohmann

While I think Silva will beat Chael Sonnen I just have to say I can't believe this post went unnoticed-

"Even more dominant" against Maia? Are you kidding me? To me he looked even more dancing with the stars against Maia. Yeah, in rounds 1 and 2 he beat him up a bit. But I don't recall a lopsided 25 minute beat down. I recall a couple of big shots through rounds 1 and 2, followed by a LOT of stalling and then a near comeback in the end where Silva probably lost 50% of his fan base.

25 minute beatdown? No. 10 minute beatdown followed by gassing out and stalling only to eventually almost get KO'd because he gassed? Now you're talking.

I hope fans aren't giving Silva a pass for that fight still. Maia may have exposed Silva's weakness if he comes into this fight with Sonnen weak of mind.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/1/10 12:58:25PM
I noticed this post I am just tired of talking about Silva and his actions at that event.
gartface
6/1/10 1:34:28PM
I would much rather watch Chael Sonnen actually engage someone, even if it is controlling them on the ground, than watch Anderson Silva kick knee caps every few minutes all the while rolling his fists and jerking from left to right. Anderson's taunting sometimes makes it look like he has tourette's syndrome.
GSPCanada
6/1/10 1:44:24PM
sonnen can say what he wants, because I'm really starting to think this is going to be the first death in the ufc. sonnen won't be able to take anderson down, not because he isnt a good enough wrestler, but because he isnt a good enough striker, u want to know the big difference between leites, and maia vs henderson, henderson was willing to throw then shoot, maia and leites weren't and therefore anderson was always ready to sprawl or move out of their shot. go watch sonnen vs marquardt....now reply to me how many kicks or punches sonnen threw while on his feet.

anderson silva will win this fight just because he is more well rounded, and sonnen isn't. sonnen is just going to get hurt this fight
PABLOMAFIOSO
6/1/10 2:36:57PM
Sonnen's mouth will be shut when it comes fight time. I really think Anderson is going to dominate and finish this fight.
The trash talk is kind of funny though
slapshot
6/1/10 2:53:19PM
Chael Sonnen will get beat striking or on the ground, Silva has few sub wins point blank because he's not had to go to the ground very often. Id like to also point out that Jake Shields had Dan every way he could have him and still failed to sub him...

Wile anyone can be beat Sonnen is not going to be any different than anyone of the fighters Silva has beat that IMO are better than Sonnen.

People want him to be that guy because they hate Silva but when you look at him its just not going to happen, I mean anyone can win and he "could" win but I "could win" the lotto too.

Anderson has long legs and arms and uses them well, has a good guard and I smell a submission if this hits the floor.
Hendo67
6/1/10 2:58:42PM

Posted by slapshot

Chael Sonnen will get beat striking or on the ground, Silva has few sub wins point blank because he's not had to go to the ground very often. Id like to also point out that Jake Shields had Dan every way he could have him and still failed to sub him...

Wile anyone can be beat Sonnen is not going to be any different than anyone of the fighters Silva has beat that IMO are better than Sonnen.

People want him to be that guy because they hate Silva but when you look at him its just not going to happen, I mean anyone can win and he "could" win but I "could win" the lotto too.

Anderson has long legs and arms and uses them well, has a good guard and I smell a submission if this hits the floor.

That's what she said.

I'll be rooting for Sonnen in this fight more than i've ever rooted for anyone else...
slapshot
6/1/10 3:04:55PM
LOL and he'll still lose. Im not a fan of Anderson I just dont see a reason to believe he'll lose to Sonnen.
lohmann
6/1/10 4:57:40PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by lohmann

"Even more dominant" against Maia? Are you kidding me? To me he looked even more dancing with the stars against Maia. Yeah, in rounds 1 and 2 he beat him up a bit. But I don't recall a lopsided 25 minute beat down. I recall a couple of big shots through rounds 1 and 2, followed by a LOT of stalling and then a near comeback in the end where Silva probably lost 50% of his fan base.

25 minute beatdown? No. 10 minute beatdown followed by gassing out and stalling only to eventually almost get KO'd because he gassed? Now you're talking.

I hope fans aren't giving Silva a pass for that fight still. Maia may have exposed Silva's weakness if he comes into this fight with Sonnen weak of mind.

The fight was boring. I don't disagree, but Silva beat a high-level caliber fighter without even trying, something overshadowed by how awful of a person he came across as during the fight.

Demian Maia landed 12 strikes over the course of five rounds and landed on zero of nine takedown attempts. That was his offense, and some of those strikes were given to him by Anderson Silva in the later rounds as part of his taunting.

Anderson Silva, on the other hand, landed four times as many strikes during his dancing showcase and somehow busted up Maia's face. He won every round despite appearing to visibly gas.

In no way did I say the fight was a beatdown: I just found it shocking that one fighter can bully a fighter at this level so easily. That's what I mean by Silva's dominance.

I will never watch that fight again.
sclasclemski
6/1/10 5:20:04PM
I will be rooting for Sonnen in this fight but I wholly expect silva to win.
Aether
6/1/10 7:05:06PM
LOL! Sonnen cracks me up quite a bit. I think Silva is going to be really, really pissed off and destroy him, but I'm enjoying the show while it lasts lol.
sclasclemski
6/1/10 7:15:16PM
seriously...I mean its such over the top trash talking that its hardly even believable...he said he wanted to crucify Ed Soares...WTF...I love Chael for that kind of A level trash talk alone.
mrsmiley
6/1/10 7:53:29PM
Perhaps he's not in Silva's head and Anderson is only saying this for Chael's own good?
Jackelope
6/1/10 8:18:11PM

Posted by lohmann

The fight was boring. I don't disagree, but Silva beat a high-level caliber fighter without even trying, something overshadowed by how awful of a person he came across as during the fight.

Demian Maia landed 12 strikes over the course of five rounds and landed on zero of nine takedown attempts. That was his offense, and some of those strikes were given to him by Anderson Silva in the later rounds as part of his taunting.

Anderson Silva, on the other hand, landed four times as many strikes during his dancing showcase and somehow busted up Maia's face. He won every round despite appearing to visibly gas.

In no way did I say the fight was a beatdown: I just found it shocking that one fighter can bully a fighter at this level so easily. That's what I mean by Silva's dominance.

I will never watch that fight again.

Okay as long as you can call it what it was. For a second there I thought maybe you'd forgotten how awful he came across in that fight.

For the record I think Silva will destroy Sonnen and that Sonnen basically found the goose that laid the golden egg here with his trash talk (smart business move) but that in no way, shape or form does he belong in the Octagon with a focused Anderson Silva. That being said maybe he did get in Anderson Silva's head and the fight will have an interesting outcome. Who can really say until it happens?
sclasclemski
6/1/10 8:21:44PM
Usually doesn't Anderson just act very smug during the countdown shows...I've never heard of him directly speaking to another opponent