sonnen is screwed, steven seagal trains anderson to murder

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » sonnen is screwed, steven seagal trains anderson to murder
noahgenda
6/20/10 2:15:18PM

the video starts out in portuguese but it gets english pretty quick

it is insane, seagal is a beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQw9fJ9CKk
sbulldavid
6/20/10 2:29:23PM
Akido has it's own real world use and Seagal is among the best in the world at it. It just doesn't have the same success against another well trained martial artist, and a good portion of the techniques are illegal in sport combat. Seagal though a joke, he should be respected as a martial artist.
noahgenda
6/20/10 2:36:46PM
seagal is very very far from a joke, come on. have you ever seen his cop show? lmao, it is so awesome. he like spots guns in peoples pants from hundreds of yards away and ****, and like trains the rest of the force in handgun accuracy and stuff. dude is awesome. is it possible dana's giant gift on cable television will be steven seagal fighting van damme?
hate4thestate
6/20/10 2:41:11PM
lol this is crazy. seagal and silva...
Jackelope
6/20/10 2:43:49PM
I definitely respect Seagal and his accomplishments. My cousin trained under him for a little bit and he said the dude actually knows his stuff really well. Plus I love his movies, haha.

That being said, in the video he was showing Anderson a move and they were standing in totally different stances while executing it. Seagal = Orthodox and Silva = Southpaw. I would have expected him to say something about it, but he didn't. (at least in the video) Especially considering the move opens up a southpaw for a hip toss big time and it doesn't do the same for a person standing orthodox.

With the arm twist while on the ground it seems like that's a move you could use on a person without training but not on an accomplished mixed martial artist. There was absolutely no body control in that position which was wide open for knee-on-belly. Instead of controlling the entire body Seagal opts to teach the move to control the upper body and the arm. A good wrestler, judoka or BJJ artist would get a scramble out of that position easily and IMO a knee-on-belly progression to full mount is a much better option.

It's always good to get different looks for any martial artist, though. At least IMO. I just think a lot of these kinds of moves are made into something superior when they have giant holes in their execution. If Aikido was as fantastic of a grappling art as Seagal probably likes to think it is then we'd see a hell of a lot more Aikido practicioners in the Octagon. On the streets I think it is most definitely legit and one of the best arts a person could learn for self defense... but I don't feel the same way about it when stacked up against high level competition. Especially considering that small joint manipulation, which is a massive part of Aikido, is illegal in MMA comp.
noahgenda
6/20/10 3:01:57PM
well, aikido isnt a sport fighting combat method. like you said a lot of it is illegal in mma, and its also very self defense centered.

but i didnt start this thread to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of various traditional martial arts, i started it so we could all laugh at how awesome steven seagal is! ahaha. he took em out to dinner afterward. all class. lmao

also, how awesome will it be if on sonnens first shot anderson 2 hand chi blasts him straight in the nose. we will all know where he learned that one!
isk
6/20/10 3:06:03PM
This video's a keeper. I forgot how funny Anderson is when he's not being a dick.
mrsmiley
6/20/10 4:43:13PM
To me,most of Aikido has been watered down since Morhieu Ushiba created it,mainly because it is looked at from a self defense persective and not the spiritual center from which it seemed to have sprung.
Not that it's without self defense merits,but..............
jae_1833
6/20/10 11:04:18PM
Isn't Stephen Seagal the 1st non-Japanease person in the world to have a dojo in Japan? That's serious .... I heard it somewhere long ago.
Rush
6/20/10 11:42:11PM

Posted by Jackelope

With the arm twist while on the ground it seems like that's a move you could use on a person without training but not on an accomplished mixed martial artist. There was absolutely no body control in that position which was wide open for knee-on-belly. Instead of controlling the entire body Seagal opts to teach the move to control the upper body and the arm. A good wrestler, judoka or BJJ artist would get a scramble out of that position easily and IMO a knee-on-belly progression to full mount is a much better option.

AS someone that knows the "arm twist" quite well, I can say that if it is done properly, there is no need to control the rest of the body. The key to the technique is to lock up the shoulder and from there there is nothing you can do short of dislocating your own shoulder to scramble. When you lock up someone's shoulder you can control their whole upper body and push them around wherever you want.

Like I said, the key is to lock up the shoulder. If anyone escapes that technique it is because a) the person doing it is not doing it correctly b) the opponent is multi jointed in the shoulder c) the opponent is able to scramble before the shoulder is locked.

I can speak from experience that locking the shoulder only takes a split second by someone that knows what they are doing. I doubt Silva will be able to pull it off, even on a non-martial artist, unless he practices for a long time.

What intrigued me about the video is the incorporation of aikido timing and distancing. If there is any fighter that could incorporate such movement in MMA it is Anderson Silva.

I personally do not expect to see any Aikido in the fight (though it would be great to see), but I like the fact that Silva is open minded enough to the principles of aikido are applicable in MMA and are valuable to learn.

A note about the small joint manipulation. It exists, but in the style that I trained it was only about 10% or less of the joint manipulation that we did.

I also recalled on the video that Seagal kept asking whether the techniques were legal or not and I think they all were, but I could have mis-heard.
Rush
6/20/10 11:45:18PM

Posted by mrsmiley

To me,most of Aikido has been watered down since Morhieu Ushiba created it,mainly because it is looked at from a self defense persective and not the spiritual center from which it seemed to have sprung.

There are different styles of aikido. Some are hard and some are soft. I took a hard style and can say that the style I took is not watered down. But it all depends on how the practitioner approaches his or her training.

We had many broken and separated limbs from practice, guys getting their face smashed and thrown into mirrors.
tcunningham
6/21/10 3:18:07AM
the large difference is seagal trains in reality based martial arts. MMA i all well and good but you got to take into account that somebody can pull a weapon like a knife or gun out, then lets see where leg kicks will get you you. i love MMA but it truly is a sport and thats why i keep it as a hobby, i take my knife training serious and my firearms training even more so. MMA will help me in a street fight for sure and it has, but a gun is far more effective against a knife, a gun, multiple attackers. just remember, why take a knife to a knife fight when you can take a gun. im going home at the end of the day, if that means somebody else doesnt than so be it.
FlashyG
6/21/10 9:34:15AM
Anyone remember when Segal claimed he was impervious to Choke holds because of his Akido training.

He was then promptly choked unconscious by his stuntman, Judo Black Belt, Gene Lebell.

FlashyG
6/21/10 12:09:56PM
apparently he's also training with Usher.

Link
emfleek
6/21/10 12:28:02PM

Posted by FlashyG

apparently he's also training with Usher.

Link

Coming to a Strikeforce cage near you!
mrsmiley
6/21/10 5:59:50PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by mrsmiley

There are different styles of aikido. Some are hard and some are soft. I took a hard style and can say that the style I took is not watered down. But it all depends on how the practitioner approaches his or her training.

We had many broken and separated limbs from practice, guys getting their face smashed and thrown into mirrors.

Yeah i've seen some uber soft styles as well that look a little "funny".
But when I said watered down I was refering more to the philisophical and spiritual aspect from which Ueshiba really drew from.
Aikido without it can certainly be used in a self defense sitiuation for sure.

BTW,I had a dream about Seagul and Anderson just a few minutes ago!
Still yawning.