Sonnen pulling for Belfort over Jones at UFC 152, says own fight booking coming soon

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sonnen pulling for Belfort over Jones at UFC 152, says own fight booking coming soon
Gogoplatapus
8/27/12 6:07:06PM
junkie

PORTLAND, Ore. – Count Chael Sonnen among those surprised by Vitor Belfort's sudden light-heavyweight title shot.

Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) heard the news after practice this past Thursday and initially was puzzled that Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) was moving up in weight to fight champ Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) at UFC 152.

But perhaps surprisingly, he's pulling for "The Phenom."

"Vitor's an excellent fighter," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Rumble at the Roseland 65, an event he promotes under the name Full Contact Fighting Federation. "It's world champion after world champion that he fights, and this isn't any different. It's a good chance for Vitor, and I hope he seizes the moment."

Wait, Sonnen praising Belfort?
Gogoplatapus
8/27/12 6:08:18PM

Sonnen nonetheless hinted there is opportunity on the horizon, though he wouldn't give details. The status of a previously targeted fight with Forrest Griffin at UFC 155 was unclear. "We'll see," Sonnen said. "There's going to be some news coming out on me soon. We'll see how things play out. Stay tuned."

Hmmmm. I'm thinking the Sonnen/Griffin fight isn't going to happen.
Chael_Sonnen
8/27/12 7:32:29PM
Stay tuned, the news will be big and perhaps surprising to most

Momma Sonnen predicts a TKO victory for Vitor in the 2nd.
prophecy033
8/27/12 7:40:02PM
I'm not real sure what the surprise is but I know one thing, we're all gonna be talking about it
Gogoplatapus
8/27/12 8:36:23PM

Posted by prophecy033

I'm not real sure what the surprise is but I know one thing, we're all gonna be talking about it

Multiple threads.
meier
8/27/12 9:05:55PM

Posted by prophecy033

he's taking on.....akebono
Wallass
8/27/12 9:17:08PM
I like Chael vs Machida!
meier
8/27/12 9:18:43PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Stay tuned, the news will be big and perhaps surprising to most

Momma Sonnen predicts a TKO victory for Vitor in the 2nd.

momma sonnen is a treasure...and she is correct
tcunningham
8/27/12 9:34:08PM
i think we all want vitor to get the KO. it really would be amazing if it happens
meier
8/27/12 9:41:10PM

Posted by tcunningham

i think we all want vitor to get the KO. it really would be amazing if it happens

YES! YES! YES!...it would