Sonnen UFC 185

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sonnen UFC 185
SpiderSilva
3/26/08 11:18:10PM
What are the thoughts on the UFC bringing Sonnen to the UFC to help beef up 185 his aggressive style could talk him to the top at 185 do to it being sooo thin
Cladrix
3/27/08 12:41:21AM
I want him to rematch Filho first. If they do move him to the UFC..... He might do well against the lower tier guys but once he faces Okami or Franklin or Marquardt he is going to get worked. Plus..... I think Almeida can sub him.
WhiteWidow
3/27/08 1:13:39AM
he showed class tonight but usually hes an arrogant prick and would love to see him get fed to the spider

i agree with everyone else i'd also like to see him fight filho again except that the ref does not save his screaming ass and his arm actually does fracture in 3 places, and when hes screaming no no no no this time it will be from pain not a verbal tapout
Jackelope
3/27/08 3:29:38AM
He's going to reign at the top of WEC and I honestly think he'll be happy there. Someone at the top of the WEC gets paid as much as someone in the gatekeeper positions of the UFC.

Besides, we already saw Silva handle the best Team Quest has to offer. Another Team Quest top 185 lb'er in the world is the least of my worries. What, yet another Lindland, Hendo, Mayhem, etc. etc.

No offense to Chael. I just think he fits in the picture better in the WEC. They could use a fighter like him.
NatedawgThaM
3/27/08 6:52:09AM
I think he'd beat everybody but Silva and Hendo. He could GNP and overpower everybody since he'd be the best wrestler besides Hendo. I think he could bully Okami around if Rich could. Rich is big but Sonnen is explosive plsu the strength,

He's probably the man side by side with hendo who would give Anderson his biggest fight. But it will end the same way with Hendo. Except he'll get owned on the feet, take Silva down and submitted by armbar
fullerene
3/27/08 9:20:08AM
His wrestling is strong enough to dictate where the fight takes place, but Sonnen has questionable standup and sub defense. A guy like Silva or Rich Franklin can pose problems on the feet or on the ground for him. Sonnen is a strong fighter at 185 (as he was at 205), but he's unlikely to win a championship. He's been fighting for a while and has only added so much to his game in that time.

I was one of the few people who expected him to beat Filho the first time they fought. I have a feeling I'll be one of the few people who expect him to lose in the rematch.
tylerlee123
3/27/08 10:03:03AM
He is Definatly a Solid fighter with a bright future but i think he's way better off staying with the WEC for a while
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/27/08 10:10:10AM

Posted by tylerlee123

He is Definatly a Solid fighter with a bright future but i think he's way better off staying with the WEC for a while

Agreed. The guy didnt even beat Filho (granted he gave it a good shot) and most people cant even agree that he belongs in the UFC.

But with his (Sonnen's) camp, he definitiely is on his way
Rush
3/27/08 11:02:16AM
It seems the UFC is content to develop their own stock of fighters from TUF rather than bring up top fighters from the WEC.

Let's face it, most people are more likely to watch Joe Boxer in the UFC if he was on TUF, moreso than the same Joe Boxer in the WEC. Likewise, most of us would watch the WEC because of fighters like Pulver, Filho, Sonnen, etc., but not so much because of Joe Boxer.

What the heck am I saying? I think Zuffa knows that strip mining the WEC (sending them to the UFC) of it's more popular fighters would be detrimental to its appeal, than developing unknown fighters in TUF and sticking them in the more popular UFC, whilst keeping the known fighters in the WEC, despite their skill level.
saemskin
3/27/08 11:18:11AM
To quote GSP "I was not impressed with your performance"

He took a B-level fighter in Bryan Baker down to the mat for nearly 15 minutes and kept him there. He totally dominate the fight only in the fact that he controlled the fight. He landed some shots, sure he did. But other than that, I was bored watching this fight.
He needs to learn to finish his fights. If he can't do this with Bryan Baker, I cant imagine he would offer much of a challenge to a guy of Filho's caliber.

for Chael Sonnen.
hippysmacker
3/27/08 11:44:32AM

Posted by Jackelope

He's going to reign at the top of WEC and I honestly think he'll be happy there. Someone at the top of the WEC gets paid as much as someone in the gatekeeper positions of the UFC.

Besides, we already saw Silva handle the best Team Quest has to offer. Another Team Quest top 185 lb'er in the world is the least of my worries. What, yet another Lindland, Hendo, Mayhem, etc. etc.

No offense to Chael. I just think he fits in the picture better in the WEC. They could use a fighter like him.

I agree, I think he'd be 2nd tier in the UFC.I actaully just had this discussion after a buddy of mine got a little carried away ( IMO) with Sonnes performance. I would pick Anderson, Hendo, Marquardt, Franklin, Okami, Maia, Almeida, Leites and probably even Lutter to beat him . I think he would probably beat the standup guys who haven't shown great takedown D ( or a lot of grappling ability) like McFedries, Cote,Sakara, and Belcher most of the time. I would also make him a pickem against Leben, Martin,Bisping and maybe even Herman.
Jackelope
3/27/08 2:27:50PM
Another thing about that performance-

While I thoroughly enjoyed Chael's clinic that he put on, I think it was a fluke and mostly due to inexperience on the other end.

Bryan Baker has made his way to where he is thanks to explosiveness. Team Quest is better than anybody else (IMO) at closing the distance and putting them up against the cage to take away their explosiveness. We've seen it with the old days of Couture especially. Baker's explosiveness on the feet was definitely something to be worried about, but his footwork was nowhere near on a level that would keep him away from the cage. Strong wrestlers that early in their career don't seem to use the cage that well unless they're at a school that emphasizes use of the cage. (I.E. Team Quest) Most wrestlers at that level of competition are still going to be looking for something like a sit out and turn the corner. Can't do that up against a cage.

In the UFC there's not going to be too many guys with only 5 fights. There's no way Chael could put on a show like that up against most of the UFC's guys. I agree with Cote being one of the guys who has shown a lack of takedown defense (although it is a hell of a lot better than Baker's I think) but I think Cote's footwork on the feet would save him a lot of hassle. It helped him out against Tito Ortiz.
nickcuc547
3/27/08 4:26:46PM
he had his ufc shot and he couldnt beat trevor prangley or jeremy horn, both are very tough guys but not in the top 10, probably not even top 15 or 20.
Rush
3/27/08 4:50:17PM

Posted by nickcuc547

he had his ufc shot and he couldnt beat trevor prangley or jeremy horn, both are very tough guys but not in the top 10, probably not even top 15 or 20.

He beat Prangley. He lost to Horn and Sorbral.
WhiteWidow
3/27/08 5:22:08PM
i agree with hippy most guys in the UFC MW division would put him away, especially if hes going to cry wolf and not tap, then call shenanigans on the ref trying to save his limb of interest
coldchillin
3/27/08 5:35:53PM
on another note, I think the UFC should definitely bring in Paulo Filho though.
ncordless
3/27/08 5:48:52PM
Sonnen is a tough dude, but his fight with Baker didn't sell me on anything.

Sonnen had been training for Fihlo, one of the best BJJ fighters in the sport. He ended up GnPing the crap out of Baker. I don't know about you guys, but I thought Baker's guard was one of the worst I've ever seen. He kept his back flat to the mat, never tried to escape, and flailed his legs around for 15 minutes while repeatedly going for what looked like a novice's version of a gogoplata.

To his credit, Baker took alot of punishment and didn't quit.
whardin19
3/27/08 5:56:40PM
I'm starting to actually like Sonnen as a figther. I've watched his past two fights and like them both alot. I think Sonnen coming to the UFC would be a good move. Build him up with a few bottom guys at first and then put him in there with the top guys. But first, I want to see the Paulo Filho rematch in the WEC. Because I think Sonnen will be Filho.
Mchubb316
3/28/08 12:06:51PM
Sonnen in my opinion fits well within the WEC. He isn't a huge name but known well enough to keep people interested in his fights. The WEC needs fighters like this to keep people interested in the organization. I do not think he would be a threat to Anderson Silva.
Jipper
3/29/08 6:57:51AM
Chael Sonnen shall forever remain only a top 20 MW instead of joining his trainers at the top of the class for one reason.

And I quote Sonnen on this,
"I don't work submissions. I'm not trying to prove something I'm just frankly not that good at them. Even if I could get a submission, I'm not laying underneath a grown man with my legs spread on worldwide t.v. Some guys subscribe to that theory but I'm a republican and we don't do that."

His amazing wrestling ability got him this far but to limit yourself in a sport that has so many areas is simply bullheadedness. A lot of wrestlers (especially Oregon Team Quest ones) don't cross train enough.

Once Filho leaves the WEC expect Sonnen to get a chance for the belt. Probably against Marshall who I see dropping down to MW after a possible Stann rematch.
jgtribbett
3/30/08 12:33:56AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think he'd beat everybody but Silva and Hendo. He could GNP and overpower everybody since he'd be the best wrestler besides Hendo. I think he could bully Okami around if Rich could. Rich is big but Sonnen is explosive plsu the strength,

He's probably the man side by side with hendo who would give Anderson his biggest fight. But it will end the same way with Hendo. Except he'll get owned on the feet, take Silva down and submitted by armbar

i think silva gets too much credit on the ground... although!!! he has been training with the nog's
nickcuc547
3/30/08 3:16:34PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by nickcuc547

He beat Prangley. He lost to Horn and Sorbral.

your right my bad, he lost to prangley outside of the ufc.