Why Sonnen Have one more.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why Sonnen Have one more.
mrkennedy
2/19/08 7:06:04PM
I dont see the first fight filho vs sonnen and what happen in this fight for sonnen deserved another titleshot and please a vid
jiujitsufreak74
2/19/08 7:11:25PM
well, in some people's opinion, the fight was prematurely stopped by the ref because Sonnen didn't actually tap from the armbar and there was about 5 seconds left on the clock when the ref stopped it. Sonnen was winning the entire fight and looked to be dominant, so when the ref stopped the fight with 5 seconds left a lot of the fans said that if he let it go for the remainder of the time, Sonnen could have came out for the next 3 rounds and won a decision. personally i think it was a good call, because five more seconds of that armbar and Sonnen's arm was as good as broken. Sonnen looked distressed and was visibly in pain...but there were a lot of people who don't agree with the stoppage so this fight is happening again. i am really looking forward to it and i don't know who to pick in this rematch.

Here's a gif of the stoppage:

cmill21
2/19/08 7:18:35PM
I think it will be a good rematch. I don't think the fight was getting out of the round, I mean thats Filho with your arm, he would have taken it home with him had the ref not stepped in.
wolfman
2/19/08 8:10:53PM

Posted by cmill21

I think it will be a good rematch. I don't think the fight was getting out of the round, I mean thats Filho with your arm, he would have taken it home with him had the ref not stepped in.

Yes, that arm was going to break for sure. I can see why he was mad that it was stopped because he didn't tap, but it was in his best interest to have that fight stopped. First and foremost is the fighter's well being and that is why the ref stopped it.
juanez13
2/19/08 8:51:10PM
here is the Fight if you are interested in watching it:

LINK
BlazinSaddle
2/19/08 10:03:32PM
sonnen needs to thank that ref for saving him rehabilitation on that arm, filho was going to break it, he was losing terribly and he was not going to let go until it was broken or he tapped so sonnen needs to put up or shut up in this rematch and realize that it was in his best interest that the fight was stopped, the guy is real arrogant so i dont think he cares about his own interest to be honest im sure he thought he woulda got saved by the bell but i assure you chael your arm would have been a mess and you wouldnt be fighting anytime soon let alone getting a rematch against filho, im really sick of this "only bitches tap" mentality if your arm or leg is gonna break you need to tap and if you dont you need to accept that you verbally submitted, maybe you shouldnt have screamed like a bitch and tapped like a man, trust me ive broken both my arms with fractures and its the worst 4-8 months of your life not being able to use it, and a leg would be much worse
cmill21
2/19/08 10:06:18PM
What I dont get is, if your screaming in pain with 5 seconds what the hell do you think is going to happen? Torn muscles, broken bones, frayed nerves, I mean this guy could have had serious problems for the rest of his life. Wasn't Big Tim out 6 months?
BlazinSaddle
2/19/08 10:08:14PM

Posted by cmill21

What I dont get is, if your screaming in pain with 5 seconds what the hell do you think is going to happen? Torn muscles, broken bones, frayed nerves, I mean this guy could have had serious problems for the rest of his life. Wasn't Big Tim out 6 months?

i sort of wrote about that, he shouldnt have been screaming like a girl and tapped like a man, what is the ref supposed to think, yeah i had to have a temporary plate in my arm or i was going to lose it from the fracture cutting into tendons
Kpro
2/19/08 10:11:37PM
He said post-fight that he was more mad for being caught in it than for the stoppage.

Either way, keeping the "i didn't tap" topic active has earned him another shot, so he got his wish.

This is Filho's last fight at MW right? I think he'll finish him again.

So even if Sonnen loses a second time, he may be the favorite to win the vacant WEC MW title anyways.
jiujitsufreak74
2/19/08 10:15:38PM

Posted by Kpro

He said post-fight that he was more mad for being caught in it than for the stoppage.

Either way, keeping the "i didn't tap" topic active has earned him another shot, so he got his wish.

This is Filho's last fight at MW right? I think he'll finish him again.

So even if Sonnen loses a second time, he may be the favorite to win the vacant WEC MW title anyways.

what weight is filho going to? i am a fan of his because of the way he utilizes his JJ and i like him at MW. i hope he goes to the UFC one day and i think he would be a good addition to the MW division there. but if he is moving in weight, where does he go?

EDIT: ok i looked and he said he wants to go up to 205 because he doesn't like cutting weight. bad move imo, the LHW division is too stacked and he fits perfectly at MW imo. its a shame if he winds up moving up because i don't think he would be as effective at 205.
Tailgunner
2/19/08 11:40:00PM
Arm bar aside Sonnen was winning the entire fight up until that point. Sonnen was all over Filho like a cheap suit.

Tein_Lung
2/20/08 12:40:29AM
thats one of the times wher teh fighter was not intelligently defending himself... he may not of taped but he would of broken his arm otherwise... it was a proper stopage IMO