Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police threat

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police threat
FastKnockout
8/24/11 2:30:09PM
TUALATIN, Ore. – Chael Sonnen wanted to be in Yushin Okami's corner for UFC 134, and he still has a plane ticket to Rio de Janeiro.

It's Brazil that doesn't want him there.

Sonnen said a major sponsor of Okami's requested he not attend the pay-per-view event, which takes place Saturday at Rio's HSBC Arena.

LINK
FastKnockout
8/24/11 2:34:37PM
Sonnen got pwned.

EDIT: What he's saying about not going for Okami's best interests sounds admirable, I'm not sure I believe it. Considering this is a man whose recently grown in popularity due to a fake persona, it wouldn't surprise me if he's honestly scared to set foot in Brazil and just wants to play it off as a noble gesture.
grappler0000
8/24/11 3:15:49PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen got pwned

prophecy033
8/24/11 3:39:48PM
Sonnen doesn't care about anyone's interests but his own, its evident in every sentence he utters
FastKnockout
8/24/11 3:49:08PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen got pwned

Sonnen said friends in the country forwarded him a local-media report in which a police chief threatened to arrest him on sight if he showed. The official cited a law that makes disparaging the national identity a crime. Sonnen pwned Brazil with his words, and Brazil pwned him back with their actions.
grappler0000
8/24/11 4:21:02PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen got pwned

Sonnen said friends in the country forwarded him a local-media report in which a police chief threatened to arrest him on sight if he showed. The official cited a law that makes disparaging the national identity a crime. Sonnen pwned Brazil with his words, and Brazil pwned him back with their actions.

No, I read the article. I'm just not sure I'd say he got owned. If he was supposed to fight and had to pull out as a result of all this, then I'd say he got owned. The fact that they are taking him this seriously leads me to believe the opposite is true, if anything.
Chael_Sonnen
8/24/11 4:48:41PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen got pwned.

EDIT: What he's saying about not going for Okami's best interests sounds admirable, I'm not sure I believe it. Considering this is a man whose recently grown in popularity due to a fake persona, it wouldn't surprise me if he's honestly scared to set foot in Brazil and just wants to play it off as a noble gesture.

Nah...Sonnen pwned Brazil
quezocrema0032
8/24/11 4:50:09PM
I respect this decision. He doesnt wanna cost okami sponsorship money, and even if you dont wanna believe the reasons he said all the right things. He knows this is yushins night, and as everyone knows the spot light isn't something okami receives very often. This isn't cheals night, its okami's.and he knows it.

On a side note I love okami's and sonnens relationship, they seem close as training partners but both are willing to fight again if needed. They understandthe business.
KungFuMaster
8/24/11 4:53:45PM
Whether Sonnen's story is true or not, he is doing the right thing here. With him being there, the atmosphere may get uglier than it needs to be..

I don't know how much Brazil has changed since Gracie vs Kimura but let us not forget Brazil threw tomatoes and rotten eggs at Kimura when he arrived in Brazil.

I still expect a hostile crowd who will likely be booing Okami and chanting for their fighter, Anderson Silva, in the name of Brazil >>> which will make the victory even sweeter.

prophecy033
8/24/11 5:23:49PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen got pwned.

Nah...Brazil pwned Sonnen

Fixed
Chael_Sonnen
8/24/11 7:03:59PM
Chael (1 person) trolling 190,732,694 people = Successful
Cooler
8/24/11 7:48:50PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Chael (1 person) trolling 190,732,694 people = Successful

You'd be surprised how many Brazilians dont follow MMA, in fact I believe Womens Tennis is more popular in Brazil.
Sir_Karl
8/24/11 8:20:49PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Considering this is a man whose recently grown in popularity due to a fake persona,

Fake persona? Just because the guy is a loudmouth arrogant clown he has a "fake persona"?

Um....I think Chael is being himself. I don't think it is an act. I think that is the way he is.
Chael_Sonnen
8/24/11 8:31:44PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by FastKnockout

Considering this is a man whose recently grown in popularity due to a fake persona,

Fake persona? Just because the guy is a loudmouth arrogant clown he has a "fake persona"?

Um....I think Chael is being himself. I don't think it is an act. I think that is the way he is.

I would say that Anderson has more of a "fake persona" than Uncle Chael....then again, I'm a tad biased
TheBlackChip
8/25/11 12:20:29AM
Dude I didn't think some of you guys realize how bad things can be in Brazil. It would surprise no one if something were to happen to Chael. **** is crazy in some parts of Brazil at some times, and at the time this fight goes down, it's a place Chael would not want to be.
Pskinner_mma314
8/25/11 3:25:40PM

Posted by TheBlackChip

Dude I didn't think some of you guys realize how bad things can be in Brazil. It would surprise no one if something were to happen to Chael. **** is crazy in some parts of Brazil at some times, and at the time this fight goes down, it's a place Chael would not want to be.

Chael could start a futbol reminiscent riot in Brazil if he wanted to.......the guy just knows how to get under peoples skin, so as much as I really cant stand the guy, if he can manage to piss of an entire nation to the point where they say if he shows, they'll arrest him on sight (and ****, you think american jails are bad? chael wouldn't make it out of brazil) more power to him, it just works for him
fullfighting
8/25/11 6:53:28PM
Shame on that third world "country". How pathetic are you brazil?
Cooler
8/25/11 10:58:42PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by FastKnockout

I would say that Anderson has more of a "fake persona" than Uncle Chael....then again, I'm a tad biased

The guy goes out and says "I'm the champ" then secretly everyone is supposed to know its all an act, saying that he doesnt really believe that which is probably true but who knows with this guy. Hell even Hendo said dont take Sonnen too seriously, its all an act. So in a sense he is disingenuous when he speaks publically.
calitrees
8/26/11 10:26:58AM
Its an act, he says whatever will get the biggest reaction out of people. Watch his interviews in the WEC he was a totally different person(Still didnt have any sub defense). I cant stand this guy he is the ultimate troll. The way he fights is irritating but he has a formula that works with the rules of UFC. But i think that chael is hilarious in most of his interviews. If he when to Brazil he would get stoned(not by smoking).