SOKOUDJOU signs with EliteXC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » SOKOUDJOU signs with EliteXC
hippysmacker
6/21/07 11:18:43PM
Bummer, guess we won't get to see how good he really is now.

Sources: Sokoudjou Agrees to Terms with EliteXC
Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
Sources: Sokoudjou Agrees to Terms with EliteXCThursday, June 21, 2007

by Josh Gross (joshg@sherdog.com)

SAN JOSE, Calif., June 21 -- Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (Pictures) has agreed to terms with EliteXC on a lucrative four-fight contract, sources close to the promotion and Cameroonian light heavyweight confirmed to Sherdog.com Thursday.

A source in Sokoudjou's camp, who expressed pleasure with the deal, said they've received the contract from EliteXC and will comb it over during the next several days.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship, also in the running for the 23-year-old free agent, one of mixed martial arts' best stories in 2007, was told by the West African's camp that he decided to sign with EliteXC, which is featured on the premium cable network Showtime.

Training with Dan Henderson (Pictures) at the Team Quest gym in Temecula, Calif., Sokoudjou (4-1-0) rose from obscurity by stunning Brazilian Top Team's Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures) and Ricardo Arona (Pictures) in consecutive fights. Sokoudjou's lone defeat came last October against Glover Teixeira (Pictures).

Sokoudjou became a free agent after Dream Stage Entertainment sold the PRIDE Fighting Championships to UFC owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta.
The_Metal_Maniac
6/21/07 11:24:23PM
Well guess we will have to wait out 4 fights before we get to see how good he truly is.
Primo
6/21/07 11:30:18PM
Dana White is an idiot...and his cheap business ways have now cost him Soko and Denis Kang...Shogun is also pissed about his contract and is hoping to stay with PRIDE under the original terms.
rcg916
6/21/07 11:43:00PM
Id trade Fedor for Sokodjou anyday... lets hope that is true...
Primo
6/21/07 11:58:02PM

Posted by rcg916

Id trade Fedor for Sokodjou anyday... lets hope that is true...

Trade?? Do the Fertittas have limited cash?? They could've got Kang, Shogun, and Soko...instead they dropped the ball, and almost lost Fedor over some ridiculous Sambo tournaments. Keep trying to fight a losing battle though bro.
hippysmacker
6/22/07 12:08:02AM

Posted by Primo

Dana White is an idiot...and his cheap business ways have now cost him Soko and Denis Kang...Shogun is also pissed about his contract and is hoping to stay with PRIDE under the original terms.

That's an interesting comment with the fighter's being given landmark contracts ( Cro-cop, Big Nog, the reported offer to Fedor to name a few ) , out of their own mouths. As for Kang he has beat 3 good fighter's I can think of Gono, Suloev, and Ninja . He also lost Misaki. While I would say all are top 20 at MDWT, I don't think any are top 10, with Suloev being the closest to it. Sokoudjou may have wanted too much money . The guy is only 4-1. Yes, he had 2 awesome KO's of guys I consider top 10, but he also lost to Teixera recently, who had has lost to Ed Herman not that long ago. Someone , I beleive Josh Gross, made a good point on the beatdown I agree with. He said Sokoudjou looked great against Texeira till he got hit. he's not going to Ko everbody in the first 2 minutes, and personally I would like to see hiw he does in fight where he overcomes adversity before I start thinking he's the next great fighter.Until I know what was offered and what was taken , I'm gonna avoid passing judgement on this issue. The UFC could have made him what they considered a fair offer, and EliteXC coulkd have given him a ridiculous one like the one that was reported for Vera( which turned out to be fals I might add). He also may want to fight somewhere Hendo, his mentor, isn't. Anyway, I wouldc aution a rush to judgement on the money part. One thing i am sure of, they currently have no other top 205 lb. fighter's under contract, and I can't think who he might fight that will challenge him there.
TB_The_Savior
6/22/07 12:12:00AM
BOOOO THAT MAN!

I wanted to see him against the UFC's best. I guess I'll just have to wait...
wrestler189
6/22/07 12:25:40AM

Posted by TB_The_Savior

BOOOO THAT MAN!

I wanted to see him against the UFC's best. I guess I'll just have to wait...

same. this sucks
Primo
6/22/07 2:42:26AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Primo

That's an interesting comment with the fighter's being given landmark contracts ( Cro-cop, Big Nog, the reported offer to Fedor to name a few ) , out of their own mouths. As for Kang he has beat 3 good fighter's I can think of Gono, Suloev, and Ninja . He also lost Misaki. While I would say all are top 20 at MDWT, I don't think any are top 10, with Suloev being the closest to it. Sokoudjou may have wanted too much money . The guy is only 4-1. Yes, he had 2 awesome KO's of guys I consider top 10, but he also lost to Teixera recently, who had has lost to Ed Herman not that long ago. Someone , I beleive Josh Gross, made a good point on the beatdown I agree with. He said Sokoudjou looked great against Texeira till he got hit. he's not going to Ko everbody in the first 2 minutes, and personally I would like to see hiw he does in fight where he overcomes adversity before I start thinking he's the next great fighter.Until I know what was offered and what was taken , I'm gonna avoid passing judgement on this issue. The UFC could have made him what they considered a fair offer, and EliteXC coulkd have given him a ridiculous one like the one that was reported for Vera( which turned out to be fals I might add). He also may want to fight somewhere Hendo, his mentor, isn't. Anyway, I wouldc aution a rush to judgement on the money part. One thing i am sure of, they currently have no other top 205 lb. fighter's under contract, and I can't think who he might fight that will challenge him there.

Come on bro. Landmark contracts?? CC, Nog and Fedor all made more money in PRIDE then they will/do in UFC. Denis Kang is a beast, losing to Misaki is nothing to be ashamed of, look at Hendo (I think he lost both fights to him)....I agree about the competition, but Kang would run through the UFC MW division. He's on a tear lately, and to not sign him is ridiculous. As for Soko, I totally agree. I've been saying the guy has a glass jaw and anybody who hits him on the button will have a REAL good chance at beating him. Nonetheless, he beat Arona and Rogerio with ease, knocking both out cold. That's enough to bring him in for more then 20k a fight,. 20K A FIGHT?!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! "Insulting" was what Hendo called it. Now they've insulted Shogun with his offer, what is your excuse for that?? "Hey he took Nakamura to decision man they don't need him"...GIVE ME A BREAK!! I hope a lot of these guys stay with PRIDE because Dana White doesn't deserve these fighters, I'd love to see Soko vs Chuck, but guess what, he's going to have to beat up Bobby Southworth now!! It's ridiculous. The reason Soko didn't sign with UFC is because they offered 20k a fight which is pathetic, not because of any of the excuses you mentioned. Not only did they offend Soko, but they offended all of us fans who want to see the best fight the best, and glass jaw or not, he knocked out Rogerio in 30 secs. and Arona in 2 minutes. I'd love to see Chuck do that.
kimoron
6/22/07 3:52:02AM
very unfortunate, i wanted to see him the mix with the best. hopefully he doesnt waste away in elitexc and somehow ends up fighting the best in the future.
hippysmacker
6/22/07 6:18:11AM

Posted by Primo

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Primo

That's an interesting comment with the fighter's being given landmark contracts ( Cro-cop, Big Nog, the reported offer to Fedor to name a few ) , out of their own mouths. As for Kang he has beat 3 good fighter's I can think of Gono, Suloev, and Ninja . He also lost Misaki. While I would say all are top 20 at MDWT, I don't think any are top 10, with Suloev being the closest to it. Sokoudjou may have wanted too much money . The guy is only 4-1. Yes, he had 2 awesome KO's of guys I consider top 10, but he also lost to Teixera recently, who had has lost to Ed Herman not that long ago. Someone , I beleive Josh Gross, made a good point on the beatdown I agree with. He said Sokoudjou looked great against Texeira till he got hit. he's not going to Ko everbody in the first 2 minutes, and personally I would like to see hiw he does in fight where he overcomes adversity before I start thinking he's the next great fighter.Until I know what was offered and what was taken , I'm gonna avoid passing judgement on this issue. The UFC could have made him what they considered a fair offer, and EliteXC coulkd have given him a ridiculous one like the one that was reported for Vera( which turned out to be false I might add). He also may want to fight somewhere Hendo, his mentor, isn't. Anyway, I would caution a rush to judgement on the money part. One thing i am sure of, they currently have no other top 205 lb. fighter's under contract, and I can't think who he might fight that will challenge him there.

Come on bro. Landmark contracts?? CC, Nog and Fedor all made more money in PRIDE then they will/do in UFC. Denis Kang is a beast, losing to Misaki is nothing to be ashamed of, look at Hendo (I think he lost both fights to him)....I agree about the competition, but Kang would run through the UFC MW division. He's on a tear lately, and to not sign him is ridiculous. As for Soko, I totally agree. I've been saying the guy has a glass jaw and anybody who hits him on the button will have a REAL good chance at beating him. Nonetheless, he beat Arona and Rogerio with ease, knocking both out cold. That's enough to bring him in for more then 20k a fight,. 20K A FIGHT?!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! "Insulting" was what Hendo called it. Now they've insulted Shogun with his offer, what is your excuse for that?? "Hey he took Nakamura to decision man they don't need him"...GIVE ME A BREAK!! I hope a lot of these guys stay with PRIDE because Dana White doesn't deserve these fighters, I'd love to see Soko vs Chuck, but guess what, he's going to have to beat up Bobby Southworth now!! It's ridiculous. The reason Soko didn't sign with UFC is because they offered 20k a fight which is pathetic, not because of any of the excuses you mentioned. Not only did they offend Soko, but they offended all of us fans who want to see the best fight the best, and glass jaw or not, he knocked out Rogerio in 30 secs. and Arona in 2 minutes. I'd love to see Chuck do that.

First of all this isn't a you vs me issue. It's a right vs wrong one. 2nd it shouldn't be a pride vs UFC one, it's not on my side.I think you may prefer pride by the tone and gist of all your comments. Personally I love them both , and I'm stoked Pride just booked another show.
I have no idea about Big Nog's contract, but I am certain that Cro-cops and Fedor's contracts pay them more than they ever got in pride and it's common knowledge to every person I know who follows MMA.

Here is a interview from Cro-cop from UFC JUNKIe via Jutarnji.hr.

" Of all the UFC fighters, Mirko “Cro Cop?? Filipovic (21-4-2) appreciates the skills and talents of former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (10-5) most, according to a recent interview with Jutarnji.hr.

And in a rather stunning statement, Cro Cop reveals that the contract offer from the UFC was so good that PRIDE FC did not even try to match it.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that it is a Croatian media outlet. And since I can’t translate Croatian to English, let’s just go with the Americanized version from MMANews.com.

This conversation is the first real glimpse into the reasons behind Cro Cop’s defection from PRIDE FC to the UFC. For me, the most exciting snip from this piece is the eventual showdown between Cro Cop and “The Pitbull.??

It’s not going to happen soon — Arlovski recently knocked out Marcio “Pe de Pano?? (2-2) Cruz at UFC 66 and Filipovic is fighting Eddie Sanchez (6-0) at UFC 67 on February 3 — but with a six-fight contract it is a lock to happen sometime in 2007 and probably again in 2008.

Once Cro Cop beats Sanchez — and he will beat him — he’ll probably get an opportunity to challenge current champ Tim Sylvia (23-2) for his beloved belt. And once he beats “The Maine-iac??— and he will beat him — we can look forward to a showdown between Cro Cop and Arlovski for the world title.

How amazing does that sound?

That’s going to be quite a fight, which is something that hasn’t happened in the Octagon for too long in the heavyweight division.

I just don’t understand why we have to wait so long — we’ve waited long enough.

Below are some other good snips from the article.

… financial proposal of the UFC was better. The Japanese knew they could not come close to the American proposal, therefore they did not try it.
___________________________________________________________-

Mirko on the non-monetary reason for his decision:

The wish for a change, the wish for new challenges. Until now I went to Japan 42 times in my career, there I achieved a reputation and a name in sport, but the American octagon is still a big new thing (for me).

Mirko on possibly not fighting Fedor Emelianenko again (who he lost to via unanimous decision in 2005):

I must admit, that I regret not fighting Fedor. If I would have been healthy and ready, maybe we would have faced each other at New Year’s Eve. Still, I believe that the chance for a fight with Fedor isn’t lost forever. Maybe we will manage to meet each other in the ring if PRIDE and UFC cooperate.

Mirko on his next opponent, Eddie Sanchez:

Until now, I have not [heard of him]. I know he is unbeaten in ultimate fighting, even though that doesn’t necessarily mean that he is a world class fighter."

I heard the rumors about the 20 K for Sokoudjou also. If it's true it would still be 20 to fight 20 to win, and that's the first fight of the deal. . However, neither of us knows for sure , and that's why I would urge caution. Shogun already signed a while back , so I dont know where you get the insult from. Over a month ago Here is an article on it.

" May 24, 2007
Dana White Confirms Signing of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua
Posted by UFC Junkie on May 24, 2007 at 4:42 pm ET

Mauricio Shogun RuaUFC president Dana White today confirmed a recent report that the UFC has signed PRIDE superstar Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

On Tuesday the official Web site for Chute Box announced that Rua, winner of PRIDE’s 2005 Grand Prix Tournament, had been signed by the organization and might even debut at UFC 72 next month.

White confirmed the signing during a pre-UFC 71 conference call with the media today, but he said he wasn’t sure of the details of the contract and wasn’t certain when Rua may make his Octagon debut.

However, White did confirm that he considers Rua a top contender for UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell’s belt. Additionally, he stated that Liddell is only a few fights away from “cleaning out the whole division” and that he considers Rua one of the fighters standing in his way of doing that.

Based on those comments, one could reason that Rua may not have to wait long for a title shot. After all, it’s not as though the Brazilian hasn’t faced the cream of the crop already.

The 25-year-old has fought for PRIDE Fighting Championships since October 2003 and has racked up victories over such notables as Quinton Jackson, Ricardo Arona and Antonio Rogerio “Minotoro” Nogueira. His resume contains victories over a virtual who’s who of 205-pounders.
Of course, all of this talk about Liddell rests on the outcome of Saturday’s UFC 71 main event. But either way, the UFC wins. If Liddell holds onto his velt, that sets up the long-anticipated fight between Rua and him. And if Jackson wins, their rematch becomes a perfect main event for a future show.
Comments 36 Comments | Posted in PRIDE, Dana White, Mauricio Rua "

I don''t know who's telling you this information, but my friend trains with Hendo, and he said I quote " the UFC doubled his pride guarantee and gave him a piece of the PPv in his new contract any card he headlines" .If he remains champ at either weight all his fights will be at least co-headliners.
I think someones telling you lies. Dave Meltezer from th ewrestling observer stated"Sakikabara said publicly in the japanese press the UFC paid Cro-cop 1 and a half times what he made in pride and they couldn't match it. Kang IMO was at best the #3 MDWT in pride who has never been a champ and Sokjoudjou who is 4-1 want to be the top dawg in an org? Kang said himself on the beatdown he wants to go where he is heavily promoted. I don't know if that means he wants a quick title shot or what, but he may want more than he's worth.. If the UFC has to bring in any MDWT ( besides Hendo) I vote for Filho. Guess what ,they signed him to and are going to use him as a cornerstone to build up the WEC reportedly. SInce they have only confirmed the signing , not where he's going I'll leave it at that for now. According to Josh Gross on the beatdown Fedor will make more than any other fighter except Liddell ( for just fighting only , including PPV revenue) if he signs the UFC offer, and remains champ. Seriously man, if you got a problem with Dana that's your business, but don't post what you don't know for sure ( or your opinion) as fact.

A Fact is water is wet. The sky is blue, Everybody dies.

So while I agree it would be nice if Kang and Sokoudjou signed with Zuffa ,and fought in the UFC/Pride, not everybody gets what they want. Kang still has not beat a top 10 fighter IMO. I hate to say this but technically Sokoudjou actually has better credentials by beating 2 top 10 guys in impressive fashion. Also, not everyone is worth what they think they are. Last but not least, neither of us know for sure what their offers were. I will ask my buddy at the fights Friday if he knows anything about Sokoudjous deal .He says they call him Terry , and he's nice to everyone, even first year trainees like him and he found out other stuff before it happened . Until then calm down the hyperbole please. I believe we should all be l MMA fans first,not a particular org. Thanks

P.S I'M moving this discussion to the other orgs. forum to stop repeat threads.
cowcatcher
6/22/07 11:09:39AM
i really wanted to see soko in the ufc, but i guess that a guy has to make the best living possible, and im sure elite xc made an offer he couldnt refuse. after hearing about him being less than impressed with the ufc offer, i kind of figured this would happen. he'll be a big fish in a small pond there but is young enough to finish his contract and come to the ufc a more established fighter. the worst thing about this is the fact that he was gaining giant killer status and wont get the opportunity to continue building a legacy as the giant killer in elite xc unless they are able to make some more signings.
NME
6/22/07 11:26:05AM
Quick: Name the 205lbs. fighters in EXC.
loller90278
6/22/07 1:26:17PM
i hope they are bluffing so ufc can raise the price
KYGUY07
6/22/07 5:46:32PM
so what organization did dennis kang sign with?
hippysmacker
6/23/07 1:00:00AM

Posted by KYGUY07

so what organization did dennis kang sign with?

Hasn't officially signed yet with anyone, but he did mention he would like to be pronoted In Korea by his new org.
nibrack11
6/24/07 8:31:45PM
i think sokoudjou will do great in any organization hes only had 5 fights and hes beat recardo arona he will do good in any organization and i think he will take the elitexc belt and maybe keep it for a while.
nibrack11
6/25/07 1:27:41AM
dang i wish he would have signed with UFC he would have done really good maybe even a title shot i think hes that good but its bad hes gone to elite xc.
ac_gi
6/25/07 1:38:53AM

Posted by Primo

Come on bro. Landmark contracts?? CC, Nog and Fedor all made more money in PRIDE then they will/do in UFC.

Really? Really? I doubt it.
chuckw94
6/25/07 6:25:51PM
i know the offer from the ufc is not what he wanted but come on you have to prove yourself a little better then that. arona was sick and lil nogueira got caught so no excuse for him. he looks like he can hang with anyone but we have to wait until his deal is done now. and who is he gonna fight over there that will give him a good fight? waste of time if you ask me.