How Social Media Gave the UFC a Fighting Chance

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How Social Media Gave the UFC a Fighting Chance
grappler0000
4/21/12 3:01:01PM
The UFC 145 combat contest happens Saturday night — and is one of the mixed martial arts company’s most-hyped fights since it was founded in the early 1990s.

But the company wouldn’t be where it is today without having aggressively adopted social media over the past several years. Platforms such as Twitter and Facebook helped the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) — as both the company and its signature events are known — transform itself from violent sideshow to relatively mainstream entertainment.

In an illustration of the UFC’s disproportional strength on social media the company’s president, Dana White, has more than 2 million Twitter followers — far outpacing the commissioners of other sports leagues with more widespread recognition. For instance, Roger Goodell, commissioner of the National Football League, has about 250,000 followers. Sepp Blatter, president of world soccer’s governing body, claims approximately 240,000.

Some of its fighters rival NBA stars in Twitter followers, and the company as a whole counts nearly 3 million more Facebook “likes” than the NFL...

I always enjoy infographics.

Source
KungFuMaster
4/21/12 3:11:06PM
Dana and the brothers have invested a lot of time and effort into hyping Jones because they think Jones is the best thing since slice bread but IMO, Jones is the most over-rated fighter thus far in mma.

I am very confident Jones' average skills will be trumped by a better fighter while Jones is still in his prime.
Chael_Sonnen
4/21/12 3:34:27PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Dana and the brothers have invested a lot of time and effort into hyping Jones because they think Jones is the best thing since slice bread but IMO, Jones is the most over-rated fighter thus far in mma.

I am very confident Jones' average skills will be trumped by a better fighter while Jones is still in his prime.

Ask the Karate Kid, Mr A-Team and Shogun if Mr. Jones is overrated.

Suga had how many title defenses
kopower
4/21/12 4:09:22PM
Love the graphic.
scoozna
4/22/12 9:19:47AM
For some reason I'm fascinated by which celebrities like MMA...Anthony Bourdain and Shane Victorino are two that I did not know about.

Interesting stats...of course the "11% decision" win stat is fun in retrospect.
prophecy033
4/22/12 3:13:18PM
Anthony Bourdain's wife trains Bjj, its either in the new UFC mag or Fight Mag. I can't remember
DancingDoll
4/22/12 9:30:49PM
Love the charts.

This sport, more than a lot of others is really rooted in social media. Twitter has become quite the playground.

And good for Dana... that's some impressive follower numbers.
jakewalters
4/23/12 4:03:51PM
Wow. Great infographics like this make me tingly on the inside. Thanks grappler! Even after 145 it's still quite interesting.
grappler0000
4/23/12 4:08:48PM

Posted by prophecy033

Anthony Bourdain's wife trains Bjj, its either in the new UFC mag or Fight Mag. I can't remember

Also, Bourdain has been on Inside MMA and Rogan's podcast.
ChrisSabal
4/23/12 5:30:17PM

Posted by KungFuMaster