The Snowman

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Snowman
mk1630
8/14/07 11:37:50AM
I was wondering wether anyone knew where Jeff Monson is. This is probably old because his last fight in the UFC was on 65 against Big Tim, but i havent heard anything about him fighting again.
juanez13
8/14/07 11:57:38AM
i havent heard anything new from him lately, but to tell you the truth i wouldnt wanna see him in the ufc again.....
DCRage
8/14/07 11:58:31AM
He has 2 fights scheduled in the very near future: His next fight is Friday (8/17) against Chris Guillen for the Global Fighting Championships Heavyweight Title. Then he's scheduled to fight Pedro Rizzo at Art Of War 3 on September 1.

Also, his last fight was at PRIDE 34 in April-he beat Kazuyuki Fujita by tapout (rear naked choke).
EddieBowers
8/14/07 11:59:12AM
He is fighting in the Art of War 3, in TX. He is up against Perdo Rizzo.
EddieBowers
8/14/07 12:00:28PM
Sorry guess I was typing while you were.... you just hit post before I did.. sorry.
mk1630
8/14/07 12:01:04PM
Did the UFC get rid of him because he lost to Sylvia or did his contract run up and want to go somewhere else?
pv3Hpv3p
8/14/07 12:05:10PM

Posted by mk1630

Did the UFC get rid of him because he lost to Sylvia or did his contract run up and want to go somewhere else?

I thought they billed the Monson / Fujita fight as the first Pride vs UFC fight... Take that for what it's worth...

Since he's fighting in other orgs now, it's pretty safe to assume that he isn't under the Zuffa umbrela, right now.

I hope Rizzo smashes him... War Pedro
SteedTheDeed
8/14/07 12:11:32PM
I remember hearing that Jeff is still on good terms with the UFC, he just wanted to go somewhere else to get his momemtum back. Him vs Rizzo sounds exciting, except Rizzo hasn't been himself lately.
ultimatefight56
8/14/07 12:16:20PM
i want 2 see him back in the UFC or maybe even a move 2 the IFL
BigEvil
8/14/07 12:22:24PM
Yeah I really like Monson, how sick is it that he came out to "Imagine". I hope and think that he'll own Rizzo. Not to mention a Monson/ Couture or a Monson/ Gonzaga fight would be pretty good I think. Sylvia was just too damn tall and scared to make a good fight.
Signal2112
8/14/07 12:27:46PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff back in the UFC. I always got a chuckle whenever I saw him, he just looks like a small ball of muscle!
fatdevil1982
8/14/07 12:46:03PM
Monson Vs Fujita WAS billed as the first UFS Vs Pride bout

that was the last fight on his contract and YES he did not renegotiate his new contract because HE wanted to "rebuild" himself and get some more momentum going for himself

i think his next two fights are W's for sure
Ultimate_fighter
8/14/07 5:10:24PM
i wont be excited to see him back in the UFC. He has really good submissions, but he is too small and bulky. He is to muscled to stand up.. his reach is not long enough to go toe to toe with heavyweights, i find him boring to watch. I love submissions, just the nice quick ones. I haven't heard much on him... i dont think the UFC will get him back...
zephead
8/14/07 5:21:37PM
I love watching the Snowman fight. But then again, I like watching Sherk fight and I know that puts me in the minority. Monson is awesome on the ground. Great technique, strength and and quickness for a guy his size.

I love watching transitions. I enjoy a thinking mans fight over two guys just trading blows. I love the big KO like the next guy but Griffin/Bonnar 1 wasn't a fight for me. My favorite fight of allt-ime is Lister/Flynn in the King Of The Cage. Maybe 10 punches thrown the whole fight, but the transistions were insane. Lister won in the 2nd round. Awesome fight
cowcatcher
8/14/07 5:21:48PM
i like monson and hope he comes back to the ufc soon. the fight with timmy was hard to watch because monson just couldnt reach him, but most guys arent 6'8", then again i guess most HWs arent 5'8" either......
Believe-in-judo81
8/15/07 3:29:50AM
I personally liked Jeff a lot, and would like to see him back in the cage if he can earn a spot on the roster. Fights with Nog, Gonzaga, and Assuerio Silva would be nice to see. Assuming Assuerio is invited back that is.
jomatty
8/15/07 5:27:00AM
yeah i like jeff a lot too. his fighting style is nothing like sherks, despite the good wrestling in common. the transitions and subs are a lot more exciting than watching sherk hold someone down and elbow em in the face
cowcatcher
8/15/07 9:14:03AM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

I personally liked Jeff a lot, and would like to see him back in the cage if he can earn a spot on the roster. Fights with Nog, Gonzaga, and Assuerio Silva would be nice to see. Assuming Assuerio is invited back that is.

i was thinking the same thing about nog being a fun fight to see as a grappling fan, wouldnt mind werdum vs. monson either
jocksmall
8/15/07 8:38:51PM

Posted by DCRage

He has 2 fights scheduled in the very near future: His next fight is Friday (8/17) against Chris Guillen for the Global Fighting Championships Heavyweight Title. Then he's scheduled to fight Pedro Rizzo at Art Of War 3 on September 1.

Also, his last fight was at PRIDE 34 in April-he beat Kazuyuki Fujita by tapout (rear naked choke).

fujita is a good win
hippysmacker
8/15/07 9:12:33PM
This is from MMA Weekly's article on ATT. I remember reading that the uFC let him out of the last fight of his deal to fight Fedor in Bodog, but Fedor thought him unworthy to fight him. So they used the last UFC fight to have him fight Fujita at the last Pride.It looks like he's basically is a big name on the independent circuit though.

JEFF MONSON TO FIGHT TWICE IN TWO WEEKS

American Top Team heavyweight Jeff Monson has always been a very active fighter, moving from grappling tournaments to mixed martial arts bouts on a frequent basis. The one time UFC fighter is now set to take on Chris Guillen at the Global Fighting Championships this weekend and then he’ll move on to September 1st where he’ll fight Pedro Rizzo for the Art of War heavyweight title.

“I slowed down when I was with UFC because you can’t do that. I have fought back-to-back weeks and to me I don’t take one any lighter than the other and if it goes well, it gives me more preparation,” said Monson about fighting two fights so close together. “I will peak for this one on the 17th and then I will be back in the gym working - but I will already be in good shape.”