Smokers in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Smokers in MMA
emfleek
2/24/10 10:34:37AM
I guess I never really thought about it until today when I read that Rampage is a smoker.

LINK

I know NFL players smoke and I'm sure plenty of guys in other sports do as well. I guess I'd be pretty naive to think otherwise. I was just talking to a former Cincinnati Bengal on Superbowl Sunday (Glen Steele) and he said that, when he was in the league, players would be in the bathroom at halftime chainsmoking. It's something you (me, anyways) never really give much thought to.

Are there other confirmed smokers in MMA? I guess I'm a bit surprised by the fact that Rampage smokes. It's not something that's shown on TV or something you hear about too often in interviews.
DCRage
2/24/10 10:35:58AM
Nick Diaz, if his doing medical marijuana counts.
cowcatcher
2/24/10 10:57:23AM
i know a couple of guys that fight locally that smoke when they go out to the bars, ive never seen them do it otherwise though, and none of the bigger name fighters around here do that.

i went to school with quite a few of the brewers players and coaches kids when i was younger and almost all of their dads smoked. im not sure i should mention names because these guys are friends of mine, but take a look at the early 80s brewers team photos and it isnt hard to pick out the guys that were smoking and drinking beers in the tunnel leading to the dugout on a regular basis.

i also have seen john daly chain smoking on the golf course, but of course they never show it on tv.
kopower
2/24/10 12:48:49PM
When the UFC was in Minneapolis, Rampage showed up to the bar where we had our UFC fight club party. He smoked at least 3 different times in a few hours. It caught all of us by surprise.
seanfu
2/24/10 1:30:09PM
yeah that doesn't speak strongly for dedication.Why would you do that to yourself? No wonder he gasses. In terms of weed I expect a lot of fighters, and to a much smaller degree than **** ass tobacco.
mrsmiley
2/24/10 2:40:38PM
I've herd several times that Sakuraba is a chain smoker.
I always found that strange enough to be true.
ncordless
2/24/10 3:32:07PM
Michael Phelps does bong loads and everybody knows he never had any cardio.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/24/10 3:39:23PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I've herd several times that Sakuraba is a chain smoker.
I always found that strange enough to be true.

This is true , although he hasn't aged well at all.

Nick diaz is mostly an edibles/vaporizer guy and he supplements that with running a lot of cardio . Its not surprising that his cardio is excellent , michael phelps anyone? Half the NBA smokes weed and that is a very cardiovascular demanding sport . I have phenomenal cardio myself , but i strictly use a vaporizer and do a lot of cardio . The damage to your lungs from cigarettes is an another ballgame , not to mention the addiction . Also a disgusting habit .

@ Baseball and Golf comments , those 2 sports are not very cardiovascular demanding at all , so no surprise there .

The picture in the article is with joe rogan , my guess would be that's a "green" cigarette

Also with rampage , hes never been the most mentally strong guy . Cigarette smokers are mentally weak people IMO . They make you stink , they smell terrible , they diminish your appetite , they give you cancer , they dont get you high , i could go on and on . I really dont understand why people would start in the first place or why they wouldnt quit , especially an athlete of rampages caliber .
Jiu_Boxu
2/24/10 5:24:28PM
Smoking is just displaying a small conscious need to self-destruct...

Much as there are bound to be all-round destructive guys in MMA, any cigarette smoking as an athlete is retarded and a projection of something else.

Bit of green never goes a miss though
warglory
2/24/10 10:59:51PM
In reality though, what's the difference between social drinking and social smoking? I can only assume that most fighters who smoke only do it while at a social gathering. Alcohol isn't as outwardly disgusting as smoke, but it's still damaging to the body, especially when as a fighter you never really stop training per se.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/25/10 12:55:58AM
The difference is you need your lungs to breathe , not your liver . Although , the extra calories cant help , nor the brain damage , nor the lack of motivation following a night of drinking and/or the physical withdrawl from quitting.
warglory
2/25/10 1:05:44AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

The difference is you need your lungs to breathe , not your liver . Although , the extra calories cant help , nor the brain damage , nor the lack of motivation following a night of drinking and/or the physical withdrawl from quitting.

Yes but your lungs aren't going to be dramatically effected by occasional smoking anymore than your liver and immune system will be effected by occasional drinking.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/25/10 2:44:57AM
Are there really any casual cigarette smokers out there? I think they're too addictive , its either you smoke habitually or you dont smoke at all . Cigarettes do permanent lung damage , I dont see how damaging your liver would have anywhere near the effect on your athletic performance that smoking cigarettes would . When you train as much as a profession athlete does , I doubt you would see any noticeable difference to your immune system either . For the record , I'm not trying to defend drinking alcohol , I dont drink any alcohol whatsoever and I'm against it .
Pskinner_mma314
2/25/10 2:49:17PM

Are there really any casual cigarette smokers out there? I think they're too addictive , its either you smoke habitually or you dont smoke at all . Cigarettes do permanent lung damage , I dont see how damaging your liver would have anywhere near the effect on your athletic performance that smoking cigarettes would . When you train as much as a profession athlete does , I doubt you would see any noticeable difference to your immune system either . For the record , I'm not trying to defend drinking alcohol , I dont drink any alcohol whatsoever and I'm against it .

i do actually, to be honest the only time i ever smoke cigarettes is when i'm at a bar or drinking with friends and what not. i play 6 man football and i used to train in bjj and muay thai, very very taxing disciplines as far as cardio goes. i've never had any cardio problems. but yeah i never just have a "smoke break"
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/25/10 3:25:17PM
Why do you only smoke cigarettes when you're at a bar or drinking with friends? Peer pressure? Makes a strong point for my mentally weak argument . How old are you? I dont see this routine lasting very long before you either shake the habit all together or gradually start smoking more and more .
emfleek
2/25/10 3:37:52PM

Why do you only smoke cigarettes when you're at a bar or drinking with friends? Peer pressure? Makes a strong point for my mentally weak argument . How old are you? I dont see this routine lasting very long before you either shake the habit all together or gradually start smoking more and more .

...and it's still an addiction.

My sister is the same way. She "doesn't smoke" either...only smokes when she drinks. To me, that's still an addiction. You're just taking extra time off between cigarettes.

It's like "that guy" that quit smoking but still bums the occasional cigarette. He didn't quit smoking...he just quit buying cigarettes.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/25/10 4:16:51PM
Good points emfleek
NatedawgThaM
2/25/10 4:30:07PM
I think IMO if you really want to reach your full potential you shouldn't smoke anything. Vaporizer or not, in many cases weed makes you lazy and helps you have no ambition. Maybe not all the time but is it worth the risk? Cigarettes are absolutely stupid whether your an athlete or not. No benefit whatsoever, it doesn't relieve stress, it just takes your mind off it for alittle while slowly killing you. An alcoholic too I definitely don't see reaching their full potential but drinking on special occassions like after a win, or a holiday I don't see too much of a problem. Thier are alot of other ways to relieve stress though, get a girlfriend and tear that sh*t up! I know alot of times they cause it but they can easily relieve it too...

I would say if you want to reach your full potential stay away from all of that stuff. Disappointed in Rampage.

mrsmiley
2/25/10 4:32:00PM
Smoking is a tough habit to break.
Thankfully,I did just that.
I started when I was 16 and quit when I was 20.
I'm now 25 and in that time span I have only takinga hit off of 3 ciggeretes since then. Once was when I was drunk,the other time after a very stressfull sitiuation at work,and the third time on my brothers request after he bought a very fancy pack of smokes.

I couldn't image being a pro-athelete and smoking when I think back to how winded I got just doing anything (I smoked about a pack and 1/2 a day at my peak).
Though the track coach at my high school once told me she knew track runners that took up smoking in an attempt to somehow make themselves better runners. I know,that sounds crazy. I'm guessing it was a crack pot theory that gained some form of merit for a while,but I never looked into why anyone would do that.
She made the remark that if they could keep their time while smoking that they believed they would get better once they stopped the habit.

I don't exactly believe that myself,but I can see in theory how one might come to that conclusion. Needless to say I would love to see some sort of study on it.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/25/10 5:44:12PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
Vaporizer or not, in many cases weed makes you lazy and helps you have no ambition.

Weed making you lazy / helps you have no ambition is just silly propaganda . I think more often then not lazy people tend to gravitate towards weed and use that statement as a scapegoat for their own failures . Besides , when you're staring at a large plate of food , often eating all of it can be pretty intimidating , check out micheal phelps diet ....

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks. 12000 calories a day

I have hard time believing phelps can put all that down without being ripped out of his tree . It also didnt seem to effect his ambition for winning 14 olympic gold medals ...
haggiswashere
2/26/10 11:19:30AM
Things always turn political on the playground these days.
emfleek
2/26/10 11:31:54AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Things always turn political on the playground these days.

Pookie
2/26/10 1:16:31PM
Just to the vaporizer comment ~ The compound THC expands your lungs when its inhaled as vapor. Allowing you to take in more oxygen then normal when you breath. Ask your doctor.
NatedawgThaM
2/26/10 1:28:08PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
Vaporizer or not, in many cases weed makes you lazy and helps you have no ambition.

Weed making you lazy / helps you have no ambition is just silly propaganda . I think more often then not lazy people tend to gravitate towards weed and use that statement as a scapegoat for their own failures . Besides , when you're staring at a large plate of food , often eating all of it can be pretty intimidating , check out micheal phelps diet ....

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks. 12000 calories a day

I have hard time believing phelps can put all that down without being ripped out of his tree . It also didnt seem to effect his ambition for winning 14 olympic gold medals ...

I was just saying weed in general in many cases can make you lazy. No matter how you take it in. I know their are cases where somebody can succeed while smoking it's not the case with everybody. When you wake up in the morning look on the floor and see sweatpants you could put on to go running but then you see a baggy of weed on your dresser, I think most potheads including myself probably would end up smoking rather then running and then just say I'll do the running later, and end up smoking again haha it's a vicious cycle ain't it?

So I'm just saying since everybody is unique and different in their own right, IMO I would stay away from everything in general just to be safe.
Pookie
2/26/10 1:36:38PM
Well ultimately youre in control of every action you do. So to avoid smoking just to in case it might affect your motivation, is essentially avoiding taking responsibility for yourself IMO.

If you're a professional fighter, i doubt smoking gets in the way of your training. You made it to this level by training harder than 99% of people in the world can, mostly because of the mental strength this sport takes. And cigerrettes/weed is going to be the factor that takes that away from you? I dont agree.
NatedawgThaM
2/26/10 1:48:41PM
I'm not really talking about the elite professional fighters. Like I said up top their are cases where people succeed and know how to deal with it. I was pretty much just saying people who have aspirations to do anything athletic or become an athlete. It's not heathly and it's not helping you, if anything it's worse for you, because tobacco causes cancer. I'm going to drop out of the weed argument because I've heard too many different facts from people. from potheads I hear it's not as bad as smoking, but then I had to go to a drug & alchohol class for getting busted and they were saying it's worse for your brain then cigarettes and still causes cancer and that those pothead stories were just myths. I'm just saying that their are alot of cases were doing drugs takes your focus off on what you wanna do, they can ruin lives and weed can lead to worse things but this is a totally different argument that we don't need to waste time on.

My main point is yeah people can do it and maybe get away with it as an athlete and it might not hurt them physically, but I'm saying it'd probably be better to stay away from it if you want to reach your full potential since cigarettes and drugs are bad for you, thats why drugs are illegal and you need to be 18 to smoke tobacco. My point is you probably could but you probably shouldn't take the chance. Also they might not take an effect on you now but later in life when Rampage gets cancer that's gonna suck. You should look out for your future too even after the sports.

Pookie
2/26/10 2:01:19PM
Well just to be devils advocate, 1 in 6 men who smoke cigerrettes contract cancer.
You had better odds of catching Swine Flu, truthfully.

And drugs are illegal, not because they are bad for you, but because of Racism(in almost every single case) coupled with political corruption at the upmost levels.
NatedawgThaM
2/26/10 2:03:24PM
I could agree with that's why weeds illegal. But not cocaine and heroin. That's pretty much suicide. But totally off topic haha
Pookie
2/26/10 2:10:04PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I could agree with that's why weeds illegal. But not cocaine and heroin. But totally off topic haha

No, really.

Cocaine becoming illegal had to do with Black men supposedly not being able to control themselves on the drug, and being a danger to white women. Im not making this up either. Look it up. Its retarded.

Sorry to hijack
NatedawgThaM
2/26/10 2:18:02PM
But aren't they first time deaths?