Small rant

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Small rant
Michael_Corleone
2/3/13 9:11:53AM
Maybe its just me, but I scored the 1st round of Maia/Fitch a 10-8 for Maia. That round was complete domination. Maia had Fitch's back literally THE ENTIRE ROUND. He landed a handful of punches and went for submissions. There is no way that was a 10-9 round. I respect Fitch, and he didn't give up the entire fight, but I saw at least one 10-8 round in that fight.
sparky
2/3/13 9:23:24AM
I agree 100%. The first round was complete domination

WAR MAIA
Manfred
2/3/13 9:25:03AM
I agree that they don't use 10-8s enough, and the round meets the official definition:

2. A round is to be scored as a 10-9 Round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;
3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.
4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

That said, when it is used, it typically has to be DAMAGE and dominance. There was very little damage.
FastKnockout
2/3/13 10:46:16AM

Posted by Manfred

I agree that they don't use 10-8s enough, and the round meets the official definition:

2. A round is to be scored as a 10-9 Round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;
3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.
4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

That said, when it is used, it typically has to be DAMAGE and dominance. There was very little damage.

I was fine with a 10-9. Maia had dominant control the whole round but he did almost no damage and never had Fitch in trouble.
emfleek
2/3/13 12:00:17PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I was fine with a 10-9. Maia had dominant control the whole round but he did almost no damage and never had Fitch in trouble.

Same.
Twenty20Dollars
2/3/13 1:35:02PM
If Maia got closer with a submission or landed some more GnP, then I might give it a 10-8.
Chael_Sonnen
2/3/13 1:43:54PM
Broke Fitch got 'Fitched by Mr Maia.....outstanding performance.....look out Grease.

I had it 10-7 in the first.
Michael_Corleone
2/3/13 2:59:08PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

Same.

What did Fitch do in that round that warrants giving him a 9? He got taken down numerous times and defended Maia's superior grappling and aggression the entire round. Its obvious Maia gets 10 points here, but there is no way Fitch gets 9.
tcunningham
2/3/13 4:15:31PM
they could have given maia 10-5 rounds for i cared, the dominance was clear from the very beginning. as clear of a win for maia as i have ever seen.
Bubbles
2/4/13 4:29:47PM
being a backpack doesn't warrant a 10-8 round. If there was sufficient damage or a couple close calls for submissions, then yeah I can see a 10-8. If you think that's 10-8, then a lot of Fitch's other fights have been 10-8 rounds
Michael_Corleone
2/4/13 11:26:54PM

Posted by Bubbles

being a backpack doesn't warrant a 10-8 round. If there was sufficient damage or a couple close calls for submissions, then yeah I can see a 10-8. If you think that's 10-8, then a lot of Fitch's other fights have been 10-8 rounds

I know a 10-8 round when I see it, and that 1st round was 10-8 all-day. The only way I'm giving Fitch a 9 in that round is if I can give Maia an 11.
FlashyG
2/4/13 11:55:52PM

Posted by Michael_Corleone

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

Same.

What did Fitch do in that round that warrants giving him a 9? He got taken down numerous times and defended Maia's superior grappling and aggression the entire round. Its obvious Maia gets 10 points here, but there is no way Fitch gets 9.

If you credit Maia for the 3 takedowns, then Fitch gets credit not only for stuffing 3 takedowns but for getting back up 3 times as well.

Maia didn't do any significant damage and Fitch was never in any danger of being finished.

He clearly won the round but I wouldn't give him a 10-8 for that.
Michael_Corleone
2/5/13 12:06:04AM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

Same.

If you credit Maia for the 3 takedowns, then Fitch gets credit not only for stuffing 3 takedowns but for getting back up 3 times as well.

Maia didn't do any significant damage and Fitch was never in any danger of being finished.

He clearly won the round but I wouldn't give him a 10-8 for that.

Whenever Demian Maia has your back, you are 1,000% in danger of being finished. Which would be the reason Fitch started grabbing Maia's gloves and the fence during the round.
Boo_Radley21
2/6/13 5:41:26PM

Posted by Bubbles

I know a 10-8 round when I see it, and that 1st round was 10-8 all-day. The only way I'm giving Fitch a 9 in that round is if I can give Maia an 11.

Well I know a dummie when i see it. !0-9
Patchedup15
2/9/13 10:13:43AM
10-8's are supposed to be awarded when the opponent can mount no effective offense and the round winner was dominant and this was textbook